Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car

Ross, that is superb. I love the white underside, quite apart from the quality of the finish of everything we can see.

Advertisement

I have to find a way of coming to Auckland.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yes Simon I am a bit worried myself about the oil cooler. NZ Targa roads are full of sticks and stones etc so it could be a problem.

I really dont know where to put it, the old side vents I dont think will flow much or any air with the flared guards, I dont want to run oil lines all the way up the front. The only other alternative is to mount it above or behind the engine and feed air to it with a scoup a la A110.

I think I will have to put the issue to one side until the engine is in and then re assess.
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Yes Simon I am a bit worried myself about the oil cooler. NZ Targa roads are full of sticks and stones etc so it could be a problem.

I really dont know where to put it, the old side vents I dont think will flow much or any air with the flared guards, I dont want to run oil lines all the way up the front. The only other alternative is to mount it above or behind the engine and feed air to it with a scoup a la A110.

I think I will have to put the issue to one side until the engine is in and then re assess.
    How about a perforated steel mesh guard? If it were louvred, you could point them forward to encourage airflow?

Or enclose it completely from below, with a wide section narrow metal duct forward up to the top of the cross member like the old Dauphine/4CV air intake hoses. Maybe 150-200 mm wide and 25 mm deep? Then you could leave that open to the rear so the high pressure at the front would drive air along the duct, through the cooler and out behind? Just a thought. Maybe too cute and I don't know the air pressure difference from the front cross member to just ahead of the rear cross member. You could even put a fan at the front with a temp switch in the sump. Really cute. I'll be quiet now.......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default oil cooler...?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    How about a perforated steel mesh guard? If it were louvred, you could point them forward to encourage airflow?

Or enclose it completely from below, with a wide section narrow metal duct forward up to the top of the cross member like the old Dauphine/4CV air intake hoses. Maybe 150-200 mm wide and 25 mm deep? Then you could leave that open to the rear so the high pressure at the front would drive air along the duct, through the cooler and out behind? Just a thought. Maybe too cute and I don't know the air pressure difference from the front cross member to just ahead of the rear cross member. You could even put a fan at the front with a temp switch in the sump. Really cute. I'll be quiet now.......

Ross,
    With tongue - in - cheek might I suggest the method used on Sobieslaw Zasada's Safari and Marathon Porsches. A framework of pipes surrounding the rear window.
    Ugly but effective

Fellow Frogger!

Default Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car

Roger,
    "That was Alan Gissing from Melbourne. Alan's flaming exit was captured on TV."

What happened to that car?

Just a quick update, quite a lot has happened in the last 12 days. Its finally off the rotiserie, all suspension in, gearbox in, and this weekend even the engine in.
    A big thanks to Frans for the engine, fantastic job. The rocker cover is still in primer so please excuse the strange colour.
    Those with a long memory will recognise the rear supension, I posted some photos before the crash. Its very experimental and its something I can put back to standard if it doesnt work but all the theory says it should. All based on Formula Vee technology giving zero roll stiffness at the rear so in theory both rear wheels should in contact with the road at all time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2555.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2556.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2557.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2558.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2560.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2561.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2562.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2563.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Fabulous Ross.

Hi Ross,
    I note you appear not to be considering running a brake booster. Why is this?
    Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Hi Ross,
    I note you appear not to be considering running a brake booster. Why is this?
    Angelo
    Never seen the need to run a booster, on my old car which used R8 discs and calipers all round and mintex pads I had to play around a bit with master cylinder bore size to get the right combination of power and travel but once that was done they were fantastic brakes.

This car is using a totally different system but the theory remains the same, as long as your master cylinder(s) is(are) the correct size for your calipers you shouldnt need a booster. A booster will not increase the performance of your brakes only reduce the pedal pressure needed.

Ross
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

I thought it about time for another update, whats happened in the last month?
    Big news the car is on its wheels for the first time in I dont know how many years. Dont have the right tyres for the rears so had to resort to some old 15s. Still have to play around with ride height a bit but I will wait until I get a bit more stuff in the car.
    Finished off the brake lines, all the hard lines that is, will still have to get the flexible lines to the calipers made up. Air scoop for the radiator all bent up and installed, used 1mm alloy, we will see long that lasts. Wiring loom showed up the other day, one of these American hot rod looms you buy off the shelf. I found a company that offered a "rear engine upgrade" which means all the engine wires are longer. It seems really good, all wires labeled, well made, I guess time will tell. I went for the 8 circuit model and total cost including postage was NZ$420. Im working on the alloy tanks at the moment, coolent header tank, oil catch tank and fuel tank, will post photos as I complete them. As I have probably said in the past I am running an electric water pump. So I have removed the impellor and shaft of the manual pump and welded up the openings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2567.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2568.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2569.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2570.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2571.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2572.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2573.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2574.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2575.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2576.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2577.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Default Tanks

Its been a while (as usual) but Im still making a little progress. Ive been working on tanks, radiator header tank, fuel tank and oil catch tank. All are alloy as you can see, I bought the filler neck for the header tank off trademe for about $30

Next was the fuel tank. I had made one ages ago but I wasnít happy with it so I had another go. It will hold about 30 litres and be filled with blocks of explosafe foam.

Oil catch tank is not quite finished yet, will post photos when done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2578.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2580.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2581.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2583.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2584.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Looks suberb

Default Catch Tank

So keeping the momentum going the catch tank is finished apart from mounting lugs and a tap for the drain.

I think it was as much work as the fuel tank - internal baffle, inlet pipe, outlet pipe and drain pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2596.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2597.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2598.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Default Extractors

Ok on to something more interesting, the exhaust system.

So firstly the design, everybody does 4 into 1 but after a bit of research and reading A Graham Bell's lastest book he states more than once if your engine is reving under 9,000 then a 4-2-1 is always going to be better. Apparently NASCARs and F3000 are all using this design now and since I have designed the rest of the engine around good mid range power rather that top end then a 4-2-1 makes sense.

So that decision made and using A Graham Bells formulas for pipe size and length I had a design.

But how to build it? I was surfing through You Tube one day and found a great series of videos by a company in the states call Stainless Headers. This guy advocates building the system first using plastic plumbing pipes and bends. So I decided to give it a go. Off down to Bunnings and $60 later I had a length of pipe and some 90, 68 and 45 degree bends.

Then I had to build a dummy flange with little starter pipes on it that fitted the plastic pipe and likewise dummy collectors. Then it was a reasonably easy task to build the system with equal lenght pipes. So far I have only built it down to the first collectors. The second stage from the 2 collectors down to the final collector should be fairly straight forward.

Photos to this stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2593.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2585.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2586.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2591.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2592.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Default Exhaust Materials

Now I needed some materials, we have a local exhaust supplies company that is very reasonable with a good range of mandrel bends etc. They also laser cut flanges so I supplied them with an exhaust manifold gasket and asked for 2mm extra around the outside and the port holes 2mm bigger to allow for the exhaust tube. Anyway about a week later it was ready and what an excellent job and only $80. Their collectors where a bit expensive so I made them myself. The rest was a few mandrel bends and some straight pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2588.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2587.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2589.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2590.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Ok on to something more interesting, the exhaust system.

So firstly the design, everybody does 4 into 1 but after a bit of research and reading A Graham Bell's lastest book he states more than once if your engine is reving under 9,000 then a 4-2-1 is always going to be better. Apparently NASCARs and F3000 are all using this design now and since I have designed the rest of the engine around good mid range power rather that top end then a 4-2-1 makes sense.

So that decision made and using A Graham Bells formulas for pipe size and length I had a design.

But how to build it? I was surfing through You Tube one day and found a great series of videos by a company in the states call Stainless Headers. This guy advocates building the system first using plastic plumbing pipes and bends. So I decided to give it a go. Off down to Bunnings and $60 later I had a length of pipe and some 90, 68 and 45 degree bends.

Then I had to build a dummy flange with little starter pipes on it that fitted the plastic pipe and likewise dummy collectors. Then it was a reasonably easy task to build the system with equal lenght pipes. So far I have only built it down to the first collectors. The second stage from the 2 collectors down to the final collector should be fairly straight forward.

Photos to this stage.

Brilliant!...I wouldn't have thought of doing a dummy run with pvc pipe, please, please keep us posted on the exhaust system because I am sure many of us would like to have a go at this...priceless information..

The first problem to overcome was forming the pipes from round to oval in a very short space and the 807 exhaust ports a very oval.

Once again the guy on You Tube was very helpful. I made up the shape of the port out of some 10mm steel and cut it in half and welded the two halfs to the vise jaws. For the other end I simply made a round wooden plug.

The first stage of the headers will be in 1.5" pipe but I had to use 1.75" pipe for these stubs to fit the port size. So I will have to reduce the round end diameter of the stub slightly to match the 1.5" extractor pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2601.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2600.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2602.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

1000+ Posts

Two comments:

On exhausts: doing a 4:2:1 in my 4CV (A5 engined road car) led to space concerns given the pipe lengths I wanted. As the radiator had shifted to the front, I swept the exhaust right forward around the engine so that the tertiary pipe passed under the Webers to the rear transverse muffler. I had an X cross brace put in wherethe radiator had been so I had to dodge around it but it worked OK. You might have too much clutter at the front of the motor.

On brake boosters: one thing that I do not like about them is that it is harder to judge "threshold" braking in the wet.

cheers! Peter

Default Ive made a start

Ive started with the easy pipes first (Im good at that) the rear two pipes are simply one 90 degree bend. The third pipe (cylinder 2) was a bid harder but of cause the hardest is yet to come. So far I am fairly confident that all the pipes within a mill or two of 15"(380mm) from the valve to the first collectors. Hopefully cylinder 1 goes ok, its going to be very tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2603.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2604.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Default A bit more done

Cylinder 1 turned out to be quite straight forward. It was the tightest of the 4 but it seemed to go in very well. So that completes "P1" (Primary part 1) so now on to "P2". One of my most important requirements was to have the whole exhaust system up high so it didnt get smacked every time the rear suspension bottomed out. So Im very pleased to see it well above the sump. I will be fabricating a sump guard (very important in these cars if you are doing tarmac rallies, hillclimbs, etc) so this will give added protection to the exhaust system. I lost count of the number of times I had to reweld the exhaust on the old Dauphine. Finding exhaust shops open at 9.30pm in the middle of a rally was not much fun.

As I said above this is the first time I have used a plastic pipe pattern and I have to say its a great idea. Having the pattern already done means you can concentrate on fabrication when you get to the metal pipe making it much easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2638.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2639.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2640.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2641.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Tadpole

Thanks Ross for this great car you showed us, a few years ago I have seen what you have started to do and inspired me to built this (not so good like your but still ok )

Please let me know if I can help you with any drawings from the mods I have made
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3206.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3203.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3221.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3135.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3122.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3130.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3116.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3095.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-_mg_3090.jpg  

Fantastic Ollie, the car looks great. You have made better progress than me.
    I have so many questions to ask you. Firstly how does the car handle with the floating top mount on the rear suspension? I am very interested to know as I designed that system so many years ago and as yet have not tried it out. Your rear subframe good superb, I would love to see a drawing of it. I presume it has been designed to keep the gearbox rigid. Did you make the clamps for the swing axles that mount the bottom of the shock? I see you have widened the rear guards even more than the Queron guards. Why did you do that? What size wheels do you have on the rear? Did you make the air scoup that feeds the carbs or is it available somewhere?
    Great to hear from you again.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Wow Ollie
    That is an absolute work of art! 4 spot callipers and all!
    Fantastic work. Can you provide any specs on what you have done?
    Angelo

Tadpole

Hi Ross, Hi Angelo

I will start a new thread (next week, I m busy in work) were I will explain everything

I was afraid to use the float system on the rear because tought it might not work properly (it is rigid I will send drawings)
    I have the drawings for the rear gearbos frame, you will recive them
    Clamps for the shock absorber were designed by me, a friend made the drawings and a company machined the metal for 200 euro
    The rear guards are biger because of the duble bearing in the back (needs custom driveshafts) I have drawings for both
    Wheels in the back are 9inch withe Toyo proxes R888 GG tyres
    A friend made the air scoup and I can explain how to do it very easy from fiber glass
    Sory for the writing mistakes

Hi Ollie

I look forward to the new thread when your not so busy, it will be great to see exactly what you have done.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Page 4 of 11 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information