• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car

Default More Progress

Its back from the painters looking very yellow and very bright

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-19-dec-11-10.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-19-dec-11-4.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-19-dec-11-6.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-19-dec-11-9.jpg  
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

The rest of the pack are certainly going to need to be wearing shades!!

Default Yellow !!!!

Ross,

Excuse my French, but that is "F**King Awesome Yellow" !!!!!

I love it, and only one other Dauphine is allowed to be that yellow, and that is my one!!!

Well Done.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Its back from the painters looking very yellow and very bright
    Loving this thread the car looks sensational
    cheers,

John

Fellow Frogger!

Default w82go

hey great effort Ross it looks brilliant
    i'm a Dauphine fan although my project car is stock standard
    i remember Phil Sethna VIC i guess you've probably known him
    whom had one with an R16 engine at hillclimbs fitted with an R10 transaxle
    or else R16 gearbox altered to mate the driveshafts with R10 rear axles and hubs
    also Phil had a 750 with an R16 donk and R10 transaxle back in the 1980's
    that 750 is now in Sydney being coupe'ed with stretched front doors.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tigr3 View Post
    hey great effort Ross it looks brilliant
    i'm a Dauphine fan although my project car is stock standard
    i remember Phil Sethna VIC i guess you've probably known him
    whom had one with an R16 engine at hillclimbs fitted with an R10 transaxle
    or else R16 gearbox altered to mate the driveshafts with R10 rear axles and hubs
    also Phil had a 750 with an R16 donk and R10 transaxle back in the 1980's
    that 750 is now in Sydney being coupe'ed with stretched front doors.
    if i recall a conversation with colin stark correctly, the dauph went to japan

it'd be nice if the person doing the 4cv conversion could be persuaded to post some pics

cheers! peter

Just a quick post and some photos to prove I havent been totally slacking.

It has been a busy time for me with the daughters wedding and all but the Dauphine project has been rolling along.

Now the shell is all painted I have been concentrating on getting all the parts cleaned/modified/painted so they can be all bolted on. Im nearly there.

I had all the nuts, bolts, brackets etc zinc plated and de-embrittled (I love that word) (its a heating process after zinc plating to remove hydrogen that could cause the metal to become brittle)

So the first parts to be assembled will be the rear swing axles and brakes. Using Fuego Turbo rear calipers and R16 discs. I had to modify the back plate making it slightly wider to accept the Fuego caliper bracket and make an extra reinforcing plate but a reasonably easy mod. I will post photos as I assemble so you can see how it all goes together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-1.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-2.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-3.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-4.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-5.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-dauph-14-feb-6.jpg  

Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

1000+ Posts

It has been a busy time for me with the daughters wedding and all but the Dauphine project has been rolling along.

Let me guess, the daughter's nickname is 'princess' - yes?

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Let me guess, the daughter's nickname is 'princess' - yes?
    I'm sure the car will be 'priceless'
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Default More Progress

A few more photos, swing axles are assembled with brakes. My thanks to Graham (59 Floride) for the tip on the 3M engine paint. I have painted the bell housing and am part way through the gearbox. I have gone one step further than Graham and put some 3M high heat clear over the top so hopefully it will resist all the oil and grease for a while. The seats, gear lever, steering wheel and dash are just temporarily fitted so I can position the hydraulic hand brake. More to come soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2493.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2494.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2495.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2496.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2499.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2497.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2498.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

1000+ Posts

Just noticed the Prinz in your sig. Great little beasties!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Just noticed the Prinz in your sig. Great little beasties!

Peter
    Yes I have 2, one a genuine 1200TT very rusty and the other a 1000cc Prinz so the plan is to make one good car out of the 2. But thats after the Dauphine is finished.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Default Another Update

Im working on a number of fronts at the moment, so here is a wander around my shed.

The transaxle is nearly finished, I would have had it done by now but I had a problem with the spigot shaft. Just before I bolted on the bell housing I checked the protrusion of the spigot shaft and found it was 4mm recessed, a phone call to Frans (who has the engine) and he did a quick measure and found we needed about 6-8mm protusion. So I checked Querons articles and all he did was drilled a new hole in the collar that connects the spigot shaft to the gearbox output shaft. So in the end I pressed out one end of the collar about 5mm and drilled a new hole in the other end about 6mm giving me the protusion I needed.

Front hubs and brakes are nearly there, new bearings fitted.

Front shocks are Bilstiens which I have just had rebuilt and revalved at a rather large expense. Apparently they where originally from a Corvette so they needed softening up a bit. I will have to make custom lower mounts as the ring at the bottom is much wider than standard.

Rebuilding the wiper mechanism, with a 12v motor.

Twin master cylinder set up nearly ready to install, once this is in I can start running brake lines around the car.

Front suspension arms nearly ready for installing.

Hydralic hand brake mounted, I made a 2 piece mount so it is adjustable for height and front to back.

AVO coilovers are for the rear, bit of a guess for the weight of the spring but I tried to get the same weight as the old springs I used to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2500.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2502.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2504.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2505.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2507.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2508.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2509.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2510.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2511.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2512.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2513.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2514.jpg  

Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2515.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2516.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Great job Ross, I really enjoying this thread.
    Damien.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Gardner View Post
    Great job Ross, I really enjoying this thread.
    Damien.
    Hear Hear
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

some 3M high heat clear over the top so hopefully it will resist all the oil and grease for a while.
    Just for info, I used what would likely be a similar 3M product on the cleaned up raw cast surface of my 8 gearbox. 10ish years later, it still hasn't peeled off, been affected by oil, or discoloured.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just for info, I used what would likely be a similar 3M product on the cleaned up raw cast surface of my 8 gearbox. 10ish years later, it still hasn't peeled off, been affected by oil, or discoloured.
    Thats good to hear Simon.

Just before I place an order with Meca Parts has anyone out there got some new R8/10 front lower ball joints for sale? I already have new top ones but no lowers.
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hear Hear
    Me three ! 😄
    cheers,

John

Check or replace the tie-rod eyes that enter the steering rack the are not real big in diameter, I had the misfortune of shearing the drivers side one off under brake at the end of the main straight Sandown Vic. Race track bit hard to turn left with RH wheel at full right scraping on the wheel arch.

The R10 in my avatar ran under 3L class Sports Sedan from memory the 16TS motor with s/charger rated 2600cc for CAMS log book because of engine mods.

Damien.
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Its about 2 months since my last update and not because I have been doing nothing. I have been working away steadily 2-3 nights a week and as much time in the weekends that 11 acres and a wife will allow.

I think I have assembled and disassembled the front suspension, brakes, double master cylinder setup etc about 5 or 6 times each time thinking Ive got is sussed but then I come up with another problem or bright idea and then its back to square 1 but this time I am 99% sure its the last assemble so Ill take some photos.

The double master cylinder was a lot of work (I know Frans will agree with me) but I am very pleased with the way its turned out. I use 2 Wilwood master cylinders with 16mm bore. These are very compact and fit in well. All new brake lines of course, I used cupra nickel, very easy to shape and doesnt rust. Rear line goes inside the car due to the hydraulic handbrake. I will fabricate a dead pedal to go over the brake line where it comes through the floor so it will be protected from stray no. 9s.

Note the new holes for the bottom suspension arm, these are drilled 11mm out further on the cross member to give 2 degrees negative in the front. Saves buying expensive Dangel kits.

Ive have all the water lines, throttle cable, clutch cable speedo cable in the car to check for clearances and have removed them all and sent the hardware off for plating. So as soon as the plating is back all these bits can be installed.

The goal is next Sunday on its wheels but there is quite a bit of work still to do while its on the rotiserie so we will see how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2546.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2547.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2543.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2542.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

It's going to be too nice to use on the roads. Just look at the finish on the underside of the car!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Yes I have 2, one a genuine 1200TT very rusty and the other a 1000cc Prinz so the plan is to make one good car out of the 2. But thats after the Dauphine is finished.
    Excellent. Pity the TT has the rust! We have a SIVA member in WA with a Prinz or two, so if ever you want to get in touch with him, just PM me.

Dauphine work looks just superb.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    Also there was one in Victoria that raced,track.
    Holden 6 cylinder engine.

I saw it at Sandown when racing my Ducati.

Fuel leak during the race, no cap?
    Eventually splashed onto the engine and caught fire!!
    That was Alan Gissing from Melbourne. Alan's flaming exit was captured on TV.
    roger

Well I missed my deadline of last Sunday for the car to be on its wheels so its still on the rotiserie, but these could be the last photos of the car on its side.

So since the last post I have got the last lot of plating back, installed the water lines, clutch cable, accelerator cable (custom made for the old Dauphine) speedo cable, fuel line (3/8 ali). I got a bargain off Trademe, a Swedish Setrab oil cooler and 5m of braided hose for $70. I have mounted it under the floor in the recess where the fuel tank used to be, hopefully it will be safe there and get plenty of air flow. Front sway bar is in, as you can see I have modified the lower arm to fit those little sway bar links, only $30 each from Autolign and because I use a large 26mm bar its a much tidier way of mounting to the arm. I also had to fabricate new chassis mounts for it to take the D bushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2549.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2551.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2552.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2553.jpg   Ross's new Dauphine Racing Car-img_2554.jpg  
    Ross:

1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

I got a bargain off Trademe, a Swedish Setrab oil cooler and 5m of braided hose for $70. I have mounted it under the floor in the recess where the fuel tank used to be, hopefully it will be safe there and get plenty of air flow.
    It really is a work of art! My only thought is that the oil cooler may be tad vulnerable, even though it is semi protected by the crossmember. I know that on my R8, that area does get dirty at times, so presumably rocks and sticks may get thrown up too. If it was a circuit car, probably no real problem, but unless NZ Targa roads are cleaner than in AUS, with no sticks, stones or rocks, I'd like to relocate it. I was thinking of a grille or shield, but then a rock gets stuck between the shield, which then gets hit by a stick, the rock then punches a neat hole in the cooler. Another thought would be quick fit male/female fittings on the cooler, so it could be quickly bypassed if punctured. I know, I just think of worst case scenarios......

Or is there sufficient room behind one of the old cooling air intake slots.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last

Thread Information