The Annoying Wavering Fuego Speedo Needle
  • Help

Default The Annoying Wavering Fuego Speedo Needle

No doubt its been posted before, but it there any easy way to stop the speedo needle wavering about? (bearing in mind that NZ models had trip computers so there's more wiring under there)
    Cheers

Advertisement

Its a cable thing.

If you can procure a new one and thread it correctly you'll not have to ever worry about speedo wobble again.
    You can usually bully life out of an old cable, with a lube and a strategic poke here and there but the problem will return to wobble the needle eventually.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Icon6 yep if it concerns - buy a new cable set.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Its a cable thing.

If you can procure a new one and thread it correctly you'll not have to ever worry about speedo wobble again.
    You can usually bully life out of an old cable, with a lube and a strategic poke here and there but the problem will return to wobble the needle eventually.

Jo
    Completely agree Jo

Tis so! I well recall my sons frustration at the same wobble after paying more than I would to get a new speedo head fitted to his car, and the efforts to try and get the slightly kinked cable just so. Finally I stepped in and bought a new inner and outer cable and when fitted - a nice steady speedo needle. Not worth mucking around when new cable sets are available. Ken Bailey at Caravelle has them and when I last bought a spare to hang in my garage, they were not that expensive - if you want a steady speedo needle!!

Ken

Thanks guys. It was working fine until we did some jiggling to replace a bulb on the speedo. Is there any specific point where it might have kinked or is it not worth trying to fix?

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Lubricate and check securing clips.

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco View Post
    Thanks guys. It was working fine until we did some jiggling to replace a bulb on the speedo. Is there any specific point where it might have kinked or is it not worth trying to fix?
    If the outer sheath was disconnected from the speedometer in the process, sometimes the plastic/nylon clip that secures it to the speedo breaks or isn't clipped back properly. I have seen plenty that have been "temporarily" taped back on and not working too well.

If all looks o.k. and while you are checking it, remove the inner cable and check it down its length, if it dry of lubricant and has shiny spots, that's where it is bearing heavily against the outer sheath also check the cable for kinking. Before putting the cable back in the sheath use either some teflon grease or teflon oil on the cable to lubricate it and squirt some down the empty casing.

When inserting the inner cable back into the outer, make sure the cable seats properly in the gearbox driving end, and the same when reconnecting it to the speedometer head.

If you have trouble getting it seated, you can disconnect the gearbox drive (remove nylon pin) and rejig the cable inner, its fairly easy to know when it reseats correctly!

Ken

Needle wobble is usually the cable, but can be internal wear in the speedo mechanism.

I have dismantled them to lubricate etc, but can say its not really worth the effort. Its not always successful as they're really not designed to be serviced.

The speedo is the same as an R21 and R19 - just swap the needle and dial face over.

With the trip computer, is it still a physical cable that connects to the speedo?

I was just wondering how the trip computer received the distance/speed information. In the R25, it's all done via "hall effect" (I think) sensor in the gearbox and the speedo is electronic...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    With the trip computer, is it still a physical cable that connects to the speedo?

I was just wondering how the trip computer received the distance/speed information. In the R25, it's all done via "hall effect" (I think) sensor in the gearbox and the speedo is electronic...

I know that the cable is different is different for the trip computer versions but that's about it.
    Thanks for all your help guys

My R21 has a speed sensor in the cable (with nothing attached to it in my car). It provides the signal for a trip computer and cruise control when fitted.

Icon10 Alternative approach

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco View Post
    No doubt its been posted before, but it there any easy way to stop the speedo needle wavering about? (bearing in mind that NZ models had trip computers so there's more wiring under there)
    Cheers
    Lots of good experience in this thread already. I would suggest that if your cable arrangement is different enough for you to be hesitant, and yet are willing to experiment, try adding balanced weights to the needles themselves. This should reduce the wobbling by adding inertia. We call this damping.

Thread Information