Anyone put a Fuego gearbox into an R12/15/17?
  • Help

Default Anyone put a Fuego gearbox into an R12/15/17?

Have been thinking about this one for a little while, not sure if I should bother but I would love a 5th gear. if you have pics that would be great to see (visual learner here)

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 750frog View Post
    Have been thinking about this one for a little while, not sure if I should bother but I would love a 5th gear. if you have pics that would be great to see (visual learner here)
    Yes I've done it but always with the 807 series engine. did fit an R18 box to a 1.4 once. First step is to use an automatic body shell to get the larger transmission hump otherwise you need to cut and weld in a bigger hump.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

That's right Dave.
    Second step is to be aware that although the output splines to the driveshafts are the same profile, as they are external to the gearbox casings, they are wider apart, requiring a shorter overall length in the driveshafts.
    Depending on the driveshaft type, you may get away with "compressed" shafts, but may experience unwanted shaft rumbling and compromised shaft and hub bearing life. Best to shorten the shafts.
    Third step is to fabricate a new mounting bracket for the gearbox mounts.

A plus of using this series of box is the much improved sealing of the output shafts as the seal is inboard, and not relying on sealing against a wobbling driveshaft.

A minus is poorly spaced gear ratios.

Default R18 5 speed box in r12

OK,

so the r18 gearbox is easier to fit then?. I am pretty handy with a welder and angle grinder so cutting the floor is not a hassle. how hard is it to hook up the gear change mechanism?
    is it hard to get an r18 5 speed?

How much wider is the r18 gearbox? are we talking 10mm or more?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    That's right Dave.
    Second step is to be aware that although the output splines to the driveshafts are the same profile, as they are external to the gearbox casings, they are wider apart, requiring a shorter overall length in the driveshafts.
    Depending on the driveshaft type, you may get away with "compressed" shafts, but may experience unwanted shaft rumbling and compromised shaft and hub bearing life. Best to shorten the shafts.
    Third step is to fabricate a new mounting bracket for the gearbox mounts.

A plus of using this series of box is the much improved sealing of the output shafts as the seal is inboard, and not relying on sealing against a wobbling driveshaft.

A minus is poorly spaced gear ratios.
    + 2 for the rumbling/noise/mechanical self destruction noises issue

If you use an R18 box you can put R12 output shafts straight into the R18 box. This means the box looks a bit like an R17 box from underneath and allows you to run the correct drive shafts off the shelf (either R12 or R17).

I would personally advise that even if you do have an auto shell that you extend/raise the floor all the way back to the front seat hum so that you can use an unmodified R18 shifter and linkage at the correct angle/height. It may still require shortening, but that won't affect things to much.

Using the R18 shift mechanism unmodified will involve a lot less stuffing about with trying to get the shift feel right. I've been there and done that and never got it feeling quite right.

If you keep the rolling radius of the wheel/tyre stock or even on the slightly smaller side of stock then the ratio at the wheels work out a little bit better (sportier) than the economy derived ratios of the 18.

First gear is short (in the usual period fashion) but it probably reduces the loads on the box and clutch and if you take it to the top of the rev band it will get you well into the power range in second.

Default cool, thanks for the info

Sweet,

Might have to keep my eyes out for an R18.

thanks for all you advice froggers!

Thread Information