Fuego Power Steering Leak
  • Help

Default Fuego Power Steering Leak

Hose from the pump doesn't seem to leak but it does leak something chronic from the actual rack, right where one of the lines feeds into one of the two middle connections on the driver's side...(it's as well as i can explain it.)

I've removed the belt to stop it from pumping but I have no clue if the rack needs replacing or maybe the line?

Advertisement

It also drips down onto the "Y" of the exhaust where the two pipes coming off the manifold join up to one, causing the fluid to burn off and making a smelly cloud of vapor.

Ideas? Would Caravelle have new racks/pumps/hoses etc?

I can tell you with great clarity that the hose that screws into the rack is one of the biggest pricks of a nut to get a tool onto.
    I still dont know what tool or what technique is required to do it up in place, so I always do those hoses up before I set the rack.

Anyway, it sounds like the rack is Ok if it is not bleeding out the seals into the rubber boots and onto the steering arms.
    Those hoses are of two types.
    A high pressure line which is clearly high pressure by its construction, with screw fittings on each end screwing into the pump and the rack, ad a low pressure return line which starts of metal at the rack and then turns into a poxy plastic hose.
    Your description to me sounds like its just the low pressure return hose that is cracked or loose, or the high pressure hose is not sealing.

Find out if this is the case, even clean it drive it for a bit and take a pic for me to scrutinise.

So I think its not the rack at this stage. THat has got to be good news.

Jo

Very pleasing news. It's raining today so probably not the best time to do some work but will do it as soon as I'm able. Are hoses easy to get? The wreckers here only had non-PS fuegos so u pull it is out of possible part suppliers.

1000+ Posts

Fandango

Never tried to source a new hose - probably secondhand ones about, and of course there are the repair places that will fit new hydraulic hose lines to agricultural and earth moving equipment - not sure if they use new connectors or just reuse the old ones - Mostly they are set up to do on site hose repairs, but I have never heard of them being used by Aussie froggers.

Ken

I'll have a hose lying around somewhere, if needed.
    Take that option first as it is not like a brake line where if it leaks you are screwed.

Jo

Hi Fandango,
    Took a pic for you to see the 'after' shot.
    IS this the location of the leak??

You will see two metal lines, a big crimp terminated high pressure rubber hose from the pump, and the metal return line a few inches long that goes to the low pressure hose and over the metal connecter on the pump.
    Notice mine leak marginally. Bugger me if i know how to tighten them up in situ.

Clean yours up and see if you can spot where the leak is coming from,

Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego Power Steering Leak-med-ps-lines.jpg  
    Last edited by jo proffi; 8th March 2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wrong generation

The leak I thought I spotted seems to be coming from one of the connections at the middle of the rack but i will have to take a closer look when it isnt raining and there's more light. it could may well be the high pressure hose but will have to investigate further

thanks a bunch guys.

PS: Ken i have mailed the Laguna key dad had sitting around in the study over to you today so hopefully you get that soon via registered post. =]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    The leak I thought I spotted seems to be coming from one of the connections at the middle of the rack but i will have to take a closer look when it isnt raining and there's more light. it could may well be the high pressure hose but will have to investigate further

thanks a bunch guys.

PS: Ken i have mailed the Laguna key dad had sitting around in the study over to you today so hopefully you get that soon via registered post. =]
    Thanks Fandango

Once we establish the hose connector, I can also check if I have a reasonable spare too.

Ken

Icon10 Elsewhere

Sorry it got all a bit of a rush before I had to leave, Ken. I'm now in a timezone about six hours away and wearing a different shade of uniform. Nice to see my son's words on the forum - it's one way of feeling close to him.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Key arrived and works!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    Sorry it got all a bit of a rush before I had to leave, Ken. I'm now in a timezone about six hours away and wearing a different shade of uniform. Nice to see my son's words on the forum - it's one way of feeling close to him.
    The "Had to leave" could be interpreted as forced export just like some ancestors and they wore a different uniform too with ball and chain accoutrements!

Lucky I know otherwise Gonz... and thanks to both Gonz and Fandango, the parcel arrived today, Islipped a new battery in the card and...it worked. Tested on the Laguna lock and unlocks it.

Now undergoing a compression and regluing exercise.

This is good as the other key is starting to have to be held in just this or that way to work. I noticed that my good wife can always get it to work for her as she "naturally" bends the card/circuit while pushing the button as to get doors and boot to unlock.

I think this (feminine induced warping action) is what causes a dry joint where the switch is soldered to the circuit board.

I am surprised that Renault haven't made a more durable upgrade to "female proof" the switch action.

The repaired key feels just like it should to this gentle male!

Thanks to you both. and to the gonz forensic fix!!

Ken

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    The "Had to leave" could be interpreted as forced export just like some ancestors and they wore a different uniform too with ball and chain accoutrements!
    You know the uniform I wear, Ken. A different shade is just to suit the colour of a rather dismal and depressing terrain...and to think Adelaide was in the middle of a massive downpour when I left - I'm going to miss that
    Lucky I know otherwise Gonz... and thanks to both Gonz and Fandango, the parcel arrived today, I slipped a new battery in the card and...it worked. Tested on the Laguna lock and unlocks it.

Now undergoing a compression and regluing exercise.
    Careful you don't undo the fix when you compress it!
    This is good as the other key is starting to have to be held in just this or that way to work. I noticed that my good wife can always get it to work for her as she "naturally" bends the card/circuit while pushing the button as to get doors and boot to unlock.

I think this (feminine induced warping action) is what causes a dry joint where the switch is soldered to the circuit board.

I am surprised that Renault haven't made a more durable upgrade to "female proof" the switch action.
    It's just a matter of economics: Renault chose the cheaper plastic template rather than a rigid Aluminium or stylish titanium (it's also a lazier design because with plastic there's not much radiation pattern consideration for the RF to travel). They also make a bit from the forced replacements, as you well know. Imagine if the iPhone came in a plastic body - the recalls would damage Apple's business no end.
    The repaired key feels just like it should to this gentle male!

Thanks to you both. and to the gonz forensic fix!!

Ken
    All part of the service, Ken. GonzPlip taken to a new plane of technology!

Ok so I've found that the hose which is leaking is the thicker hose which goes from the pump to the rack.

It seems to leak from where it's touching another hose. When I turn the steering wheel, the leaking hose flexes...I'm guessing it's the high pressure hose, and flexes under the pressure, and in turn, rubs against the hose beside it.

So....
    Anybody have a spare hose I could buy? It's getting really frustrating driving without power steering, even if I can already feel my arms getting bulkier.

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Temporary fix while waiting?

I don't have one out of a car, but will check the good body shell that is destined for scrap, and also my sons car which is also beinfg slowly broken up for scrap. Will report back if the hoses look o.k.

if it is a hole in the hose leaking, maybe a strategic cut then insert of a metal pipe and some strong hose clamps either side might make a "temporary repair" you know one of those that remains in position for the rest of the cars operational life!!

I find those on many cars - its an Australian tradition born out of necessity..

Also shows the good reasoning when those hoses have a rubber sleeve fitted at spots where vibration might rub them and wear the pressure hose, sometimes the sleeves are still there but have slipped/moved from the area they were protecting.

Will report back on the hose inspection. If Jo has one out of a car, that may be quicker, but will see what we can do in the short term mate.

Ken

I've removed the hose from the pump but unable to get a small enough tool onto the rack. Hopefully it all becomes easy enough once I remove a few things but it's starting to get dark and will leave it for when I have a full day at it

How's the steering issue going, son? I can't get Facebook or YouTube here but I can get AussieFrogs!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    How's the steering issue going, son? I can't get Facebook or YouTube here but I can get AussieFrogs!

Still no power steering. Difficult to turn wheel in car parks but I can live.

1000+ Posts

Still no power steering. Difficult to turn wheel in car parks but I can live.
    Now where else could you get a built in muscle toner and builder free, with no gym fees, and other financial hang ups. Plus Australdi still thinks manual steering gives better control...now if you were old and feeble like me....

Try the cut the hose and insert a metal tube fix to stop the hose leak (if there is enough room to fit it) and fit a metal screw up "jubilee" clip to each side so it doesn't lose pressure - sounds like an easier temporary fix, and you have nothing to lose (except muscle tone) and Gonz and Fandango, the rraival of the key that works did the trick, mothers key stopped working a few days later!! will close but not open doors...

The gonz fix is working marvellously!!

Will be back in Melb, soon and will be in touch re hoses etc.

Ken

i'm thinking i might have to take the head off to get to the hose...it's rather difficult to get my hands on it with everything else in the way

any simple ways of getting this done? i was able to disconnect the hose from the pump but not the rack

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I can tell you with great clarity that the hose that screws into the rack is one of the biggest pricks of a nut to get a tool onto.
    I still dont know what tool or what technique is required to do it up in place, so I always do those hoses up before I set the rack.

Jo
    Told you so.
    In about a week I will know the tool and the technique as i will be doing myself, and if you have not done the job yourself already, you can take my advice and do it the easy way.
    Do not take the head or the power steering brackets off.

Thanks, Jo. Hey, Fandango, keep turning that wheel without the pump. You're going to need all your muscle when we match up. The Kosciuszko air and heavy fashion accessories are going to give you a run for your money.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

memory very hazy on this one from when I did the r20. Seem to recall I purchased a lot of 17mm spanners and ended up modifying one on the grinder - but which one ?

cheers,
    Bob

Jo and Fandango,
    Looking at the metal pipes on your rack. You will need a pipe [brake pipe] spanner to undo otherwise the pipe nut will crush.*
    Do not bend the pipe away from the rack when loosened, you'll never restart the nut thread. Remove both ends of the pipe. Thread tape will seal the pipe nuts.
    About the low pressure hose. Enzed or Pirtek would be a good source. Given a sample they can make them up using the original fittings

* Sorry mate but if you haven't got the tools........
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 30th April 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: stuff

Fuego decided to cut sick at me so no need for power steering anymore. Not if the car won't move lol

EDIT: Power steering on the Mazda really did prove to me how much I misses it! Haha

Thread Information