... And one thing led to another
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default ... And one thing led to another

A few years back I acquired an R8G "replicar".

It had some running issues, which turned out to be a cracked Lynx manifold and a Weber 40 DOCE blocked on one side. With that sorted the car flew - problem was that any bump would unsettle the car and a simple dab on the brakes was a lottery. It could go anywhere.

So I got the tape measure out and noted that the front cross member was twisted. I cut the old one out and procured one from a R10 and proceeded. Then I noted that the boot floor was not as it should be and that a large part had been brazed in - badly.

I cranked up the rotary brush and found that the underbody sealer hid some truths I was better off not knowing. (Ever had the sinking feeling when you think you've written off a car with a wire brush?)

Then I bought a spot weld removing tool, and some air tools a cut off saw, took some welding courses... and... and...

DSCoupe dropped by and encouraged me, Geckoeng stayed up here a while and said "keep going until you find the car" (cool, huh?) and so on ...

Advertisement

Well today (a public holiday in these parts) I think I finally "found" the car. And there was some good and bad among what remains (note the condition of the chassis "rail")
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ... And one thing led to another-img_0002.jpg   ... And one thing led to another-channel.jpg   ... And one thing led to another-side-2.jpg   ... And one thing led to another-lhs2.jpg   ... And one thing led to another-img_0003.jpg   ... And one thing led to another-front.jpg  

Last edited by Exfrogger; 8th March 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Wow that's keen. Well done.
    Reminds me of the English classic car magazines where they take a rusty chassis and build a car around it as a "winter project" LOL.

Good luck with it.
    KB
    KB

Wow! That's alot of work, I hope you get it back together!
    When I had my two R10s I stopped after the first two pictures!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

Well, what else is there to do in Geraldton if you're too old to surf and too young for bingo!!

Good luck with the Winter project then PH but I do sigh for Mrs Exfrogger.

I don't think they have a "Winter" up there, do they? I guess they can call it that though! And when else are you going to do a resto?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I don't think they have a "Winter" up there, do they? I guess they can call it that though! And when else are you going to do a resto?

Of course they do!

It's the season when old rusty wrecks puppate to emerge at the end of it as another gleaming classic.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Roll on another classic!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Default The Real Car !!!

Mr P,
    I think you have found the real car ....... !!!!!

Now to use your sheetmetal and welding skills, or at least start learning them properly. I have seen much worse. And I know you are dedicated enough to do a good job.

Onward ......

Ray Geckoeng

1000+ Posts

To old to surf my arse! Its just... well... I've found other things to do...

I'd better 'fess up right now. The real reason for the renewed activity is that I bought a Dauphine last week. The astute among you will notice that the R8 is parked sideways in a garage that should house at least 2 cars and that it has no front suspension. We toyed with the idea of buying a new house with a big shed, then with the idea of extending the shed then I came to my senses...

And yes we do have winter here, its the time of year when you don't die of heat stroke if you spend more than an hour in the shed.

Thanks for the encouragement. Its not as bad as it looks - honestly. Most of the panels can be reattached with a bit of a cleanup and not much more.

There was very little rust in the body - what there was appears in the pics. There some repairs that needed to be done and some previous repairs/modifications that were not to my liking. The car is far from original so the original vs mods argument is moot.

The only repairs that will be a challenge are the rusted sections in the pics. I'm making up some cardboard templates and will cut and lap some sheet metal into that space. Some of the curves are complex but not hideously so. I've access to an English wheel, and while I have not the faintest idea how one works, my up skilling will be based on the do-it-wrong-'til-I-do-it-right principle.

The floor got roughed up when it was last installed. Unable to find a passable donor, Ive abandoned the search and will repair/augment the old one.

With the plenum panel out I'll take the opportunity to run some bars from the A-pillars to the front of chassis rails where the bumpers attach.

There's an 4 headlight 8G front in my life that'll set the project off nicely. But I'm getting ahead of myself - that's sometime off just yet.

All the best

P

PS:

Let me say Mrs Exfrogger is more than happy with the progress on the R8, any progress... Shes even a little bit enthusiastic about the Dauphine.

Thread Information