Fuego turbo in need of help
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego turbo in need of help

Hi, just bought a Fuego turbo after owning a few 2L's. It drives fine but under sustained boost hesitates, All returns back to normal if i back my foot of the accelerator. Spark plugs look a bit black too so i guess it a fuel/air problem. I gave it new plugs (NGK B8EVX), leads cap and rotor. Only done 63k miles. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Try running it on some high grade fuel in lieu of diesel!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Default Haven't worked on a turbo Fuego so not much help but.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee View Post
    Hi, just bought a Fuego turbo after owning a few 2L's. It drives fine but under sustained boost hesitates, All returns back to normal if i back my foot of the accelerator. Spark plugs look a bit black too so i guess it a fuel/air problem. I gave it new plugs (NGK B8EVX), leads cap and rotor. Only done 63k miles. Any ideas?
    Hopefully you will get some replies from New Zealand owners familiar with the Turbo set up that was imported to New Zealand. You might also get some replies from the couple of turbo owners that have bought cars into Australia recently.

I checked the Fuego Autodata manual (UK) it only has a brief mention of the turbocharger at page 93 and the fuel trouble shooter at page 94 does not appear appear to cover the Turbo.

I do have a copy of the MR 218 IS notes 22A (27 pages) for the Renault Fuego turbo Diesel R1366 - Just in case yours was one of those rare beasts, though this is unlikely. An air leak in the Inlet circuit (of the deisel) results in black smoke from exhaust with insufficient boost pressure, but that might be speculation for your vehic le.

Perhaps include the information on your Fuegos oval plate. That should identify the type of engine etc and if you can include a photograph of your cars engine bay, that might help too for those that have similar cars.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as my fuegos are R1363

The US/Canada Factory Manual MR 238 has sections on R1368 and 136A(843 engines and A7L engine both fuel injected) and use turbo charger set up.

Ken

Tadpole

It's a 1365 on the oval plate with a A5L 1565cc petrol. The previous owner was running it on 91 octane cos her friendly mechanic told her! I have been running it on 95 octane but it is not alot better.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

OMG .... At LEAST 98octain.... possibly better on avgas. The fuego is a very early incarnation of the turbo motor. Possibly it doesn't even have a knock sensor. Your risking destruction of the motor running it on that sort of fuel. It'll ping itself to death :no:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    OMG .... At LEAST 98octain.... possibly better on avgas. The fuego is a very early incarnation of the turbo motor. Possibly it doesn't even have a knock sensor. Your risking destruction of the motor running it on that sort of fuel. It'll ping itself to death :no:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    My car runs heaps better with no knock sensor and whatever fuel I feel like putting in it.
    Its not a turbo though.

Jo

I have 2 Fuego Turbos, 1 with 53k miles with the original turbo and another with 100k miles and I've replaced the turbo. What you describe I would say is a normal characteristic. You cant redline the engine in the lower gears because the turbo hits maximum. The car with the new turbo has a new set up with which the boost comes in later and can be redlined, but in the car with the factory set up I've learned to watch the gauge (or listen) and change up when the gauge hits max which is about 4-4500 rpm. I'm used to it now and it's fine.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree. I have a Fuego Turbo that I imported from NZ to Oz. It has much higher mileage (in excess of 200,000 miles not kms) but still runs very well. When pushing it in the lower gears, it does run out of puff much like Argee describes but changing up it comes on song again. However, did discover at one stage when it was not going so well that one of the locknuts holding the turbo on to the exhaust manifold had worked loose with tell signs being black soot around adjoining bits. Tightened up again and all was fine. Definitely run it on premium fuel and it should have a knock sensor up near the water pump. I am assuming that all other bits on Argee's car are OK like plugs, electric fuel pump and air cleaner.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    My car runs heaps better with no knock sensor and whatever fuel I feel like putting in it.
    Its not a turbo though.

Jo
    Not only is it not a turbo, they detuned the sh!t out of it for our market so it would run on the cr@p that's sold as petrol here

There description sounds wrong.... Only 4500rpm on a tiny capacity turbo charged engine....?? That gives you about a 1500rpm usuable rev range between it being laggy/off boost and dying at 4500rpm... Even trucks have a more usable rev range than that!!!

It sounds like the wastegates are bleeding off all of your boost pressure at higher revs. I'd be setting up a calibrated boost gauge on them and see what's happening. I would have expected all of the performance to be between 4500rpm and the rev limiter at in each gear.

The CX is a 1980's setup ... but they did it much better, there is knock sensor and a "two stage" wastegate. Little to no boost lag and excellent performance all the way to the rev limiter (it dies off towards the redline ... due to it being big capacity 4banger that has a fairly long stroke).

Given it's a Renault turbo (after all Renault did pioneer a lot of the turbo stuff) I'd expect far better than your guys are describing. The R25 should have similar characterics given it's a renault turbo from the same time period ?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/r25cxsaab.htm

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco View Post
    I have 2 Fuego Turbos, 1 with 53k miles with the original turbo and another with 100k miles and I've replaced the turbo. What you describe I would say is a normal characteristic. You cant redline the engine in the lower gears because the turbo hits maximum.
    That sounds like a crapy state of tune they have given the car if its normal to loose puff when pushed hard. Thats just soooooo un-fuego.

Perhaps the thing that makes the GTX so much fun and so capable is its high revs go-hard set up

Have any of you turbo guys considered modernising the intake and fuel system to sequential efi and fitting a new school turbo and a decent intercooler?
    I reckon you'd pull it of for under $4k, less if you are shrewd.
    I'm not talking 20psi or anything stupid, but things have come a long way since 1984 or whatever the vintage is, and technological advances in turbo's, intercoolers (thanks to the pshhhht gang) and engine management could see the motor seeing its full potential with a much more even fuel map. The motor will appreciate that and your economy will reflect it.
    My 2l EFI conversion would have paid itself off within the year in fuel savings alone doing the amount of miles I did back then. Now that I dont do those Km, I just enjoy its robustness and efi reliability.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Not only is it not a turbo, they detuned the sh!t out of it for our market so it would run on the cr@p that's sold as petrol here

There description sounds wrong.... Only 4500rpm on a tiny capacity turbo charged engine....?? That gives you about a 1500rpm usuable rev range between it being laggy/off boost and dying at 4500rpm... Even trucks have a more usable rev range than that!!!

It sounds like the wastegates are bleeding off all of your boost pressure at higher revs. I'd be setting up a calibrated boost gauge on them and see what's happening. I would have expected all of the performance to be between 4500rpm and the rev limiter at in each gear.

The CX is a 1980's setup ... but they did it much better, there is knock sensor and a "two stage" wastegate. Little to no boost lag and excellent performance all the way to the rev limiter (it dies off towards the redline ... due to it being big capacity 4banger that has a fairly long stroke).

Given it's a Renault turbo (after all Renault did pioneer a lot of the turbo stuff) I'd expect far better than your guys are describing. The R25 should have similar characterics given it's a renault turbo from the same time period ?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/articles/r25cxsaab.htm

seeya,
    Shane L.

There's very little turbo lag, the boost coming in from very low down and it's only in 1st and 2nd that you need to change up around 4500rpm. I'm used to the characteristics and really enjoy it. It's certainly more fun than the GTX manual I used to own

Fellow Frogger!

PM sent to Argee with good names.

Thread Information