NG5 and JB3 Gearboxs & LSD
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default NG5 and JB3 Gearboxs & LSD

Hello

Advertisement

Has anyone got a spare NG5 and a JB3 gearbox for sale ?

Any condition is OK.

Does anyone have a source for a LSD for a NG5 gearbox ?

Cheers

Mark

mining_dynamics@bigpond.com

0417 604 426

Banned

mark, i dont know anything about these gearboxes (what are they from, as a matter of interest?), but Quaife in the UK make torsen diffs for a lot of boxes, including some older renault ones.

Mark,

I've got a couple of spare JB3 gearboxes from R5 GT Turbos. One has shreaded 5th gear the other seems ok but is of unknown condition.

I also have a e-copy of the gearbox service manual.

let me know if you're still looking.

Woz

Tadpole

Default JB3 gearbox

Hello Woz

Please contact me about the JB3 gearboxes.

My phone is 0417 604 426

What is your phone number.

Thanks

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markmoddy View Post
    Hello

Has anyone got a spare NG5 and a JB3 gearbox for sale ?

Any condition is OK.

Does anyone have a source for a LSD for a NG5 gearbox ?

Cheers

Mark

mining_dynamics@bigpond.com

0417 604 426

Mark, you just sent us a email at renaultparts.com that I was about to answer but I'll answer here instead.

Yes we have R19 boxes, there's only one type sold here and I've never checked if its a JB3 or not but there's only one type so thats it.

As for the R25, there's 2 types, the UN1 and the NG3, I've no idea what an NG5 is. If it exists it wasn't sold here.

All boxes are $550 each.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Mark, you have a PM mate.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    , I've no idea what an NG5 is. If it exists it wasn't sold here.

All boxes are $550 each.
    The NG5 was specific to the Renault 5 Gordini/Alpine phase 1 type with engine behind the axle line North south, or should that be south north? Used on nothing else to my knowledge. There was a rocking horse that just dropped some excrement outside, much more common

Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110 View Post
    The NG5 was specific to the Renault 5 Gordini/Alpine phase 1 type with engine behind the axle line North south, or should that be south north? Used on nothing else to my knowledge. There was a rocking horse that just dropped some excrement outside, much more common
    Thanks for that. That explains why I hadn't heard of it, we didn't get them here. I was fairly sure they weren't R25.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

Default NG5 Gearbox

I was looking at a gearbox manual which had an exploded view of the NG5 gearbox. I notice that it looks identical to my 385 gearbox from a R16TX. The mountings look identical as doed the gearchange. I was wondering whether they are, in fact, the same gearbox. This may be of interest as I saw someone with a R16 asking about upgrading to 5 speed a while back.

regards
    Ron Murrell
    Lotus Europa 54/2384

Fellow Frogger!

I had problems with the 5th gear cluster on mine. We dis-assembled a bunch of boxes to try to do something. NOTHING matched. Either the shaft sizes, spline count, spacing of the shafts or others were the issue. In the end we had the tooth which was chipped built up, machined, stoned and then hardened. Believe me, if there had been another way I would have done it!

I had problems with the 5th gear cluster on mine. We dis-assembled a bunch of boxes to try to do something. NOTHING matched.
    Just in addition to the above, whilst the NG series 'boxes are externally similar to their 3xx equivalents, the NG denotes New Generation. The NG 'boxes are factory machine set, without using the shims and spacers of the earlier 3xx 'boxes, so the internal components are not interchangeable between the 'boxes.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Default NG5 Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just in addition to the above, whilst the NG series 'boxes are externally similar to their 3xx equivalents, the NG denotes New Generation. The NG 'boxes are factory machine set, without using the shims and spacers of the earlier 3xx 'boxes, so the internal components are not interchangeable between the 'boxes.
    I was wondering whether the entire NG5 box was interchangeable with the 385. If this is so, and the NG5 box is easier to find than the 385, then this may be a route for the R16 guys to upgrade to 5 speed?

regards
    Ron Murrell
    Lotus Europa

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by murramor View Post
    I was wondering whether the entire NG5 box was interchangeable with the 385.

regards
    Ron Murrell
    Lotus Europa
    Yes, they are interchangeable 1:1 at the R5 Alpine (Gordini in the UK), but it's not plug and play at the R16.
    To fit it in an R16 (or Lotus Europe ) you have to change the clutch housing to adapt it to the 1600ccm engine and the clutch shaft for 200mm / 215 mm discs has a larger spline.

Cheers

Ove

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by murramor View Post
    I was wondering whether the entire NG5 box was interchangeable with the 385. If this is so, and the NG5 box is easier to find than the 385, then this may be a route for the R16 guys to upgrade to 5 speed?

regards
    Ron Murrell
    Lotus Europa
    Ron, I certainly did not find it easier (even easy) to find an NG5 when I needed one. My 385 was a piece of cake by comparison. I do not know how you would convert the NG5 box for use in a Europa. Why not go with an NG3 from a Fuego, at least it is the right way round. The NG5 is at the front of the car like a 16, the Fuego has the motor at the front, trans behind.

Tadpole

Ron, I certainly did not find it easier (even easy) to find an NG5 when I needed one. My 385 was a piece of cake by comparison. I do not know how you would convert the NG5 box for use in a Europa. Why not go with an NG3 from a Fuego, at least it is the right way round. The NG5 is at the front of the car like a 16, the Fuego has the motor at the front, trans behind.
    I got the 385 Converted by fitting a crownwheel and pinion from a Lotus. This required the pinion shaft to be 'cut and shut' to join the 2 shafts. I went this way because it seemed easier for me to mount the 385 in the Lotus than a NG3 given my limited fabrication and skills.
    regards
    Ron

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ron, I guess you would need to find someone who had done an NG5 swap to the Lotus. I have no idea whether the same cut and shut could be done. Perhaps there is room inside the diff space, I just don't know.
    By the way, when I was looking for a solution for my difficulty I looked worldwide for another box, and got nowhere.

NG5 went into non- turbo manual 2 litre R21. They run a "pull clutch" pressure plate.

Rare as rocking horse poo in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    NG5 went into non- turbo manual 2 litre R21. They run a "pull clutch" pressure plate.

Rare as rocking horse poo in Australia.
    Your Observers Book of Renault Gearboxes must have a misprint. The NG5 was never fitted to any Renault 21. If you managed, somehow, to sticky tape one into a 21 Turbo, you would end up either going backwards very quickly, or sitting in a pool of trans fluid, or both.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Your Observers Book of Renault Gearboxes must have a misprint. The NG5 was never fitted to any Renault 21. If you managed, somehow, to sticky tape one into a 21 Turbo, you would end up either going backwards very quickly, or sitting in a pool of trans fluid, or both.
    Yup, got me there! It's the NG9 that went into R21 non-turbos (longitudal engines, transverse R21 1.7 was the R19 drivetrain with JB3). Turbos of course got the UN1.

Thread Information