R17 Gordini Head.
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default R17 Gordini Head.

I wish to fit an R17 Gordini long motor to my R15 auto. So as to minimise the issues with auto connections to carby and manifold like govenor control cables and vacuum pipes to the auto etc and air filters for the webers that I don't have, I want to bolt the existing auto manifold and carby to the Gordini motor. I also don't want make any major changes as I will eventually rebuild and put the original motor back in.

Question. The auto head has small holes into the water jacket to allow water to travel from the head to the manifold. There are pipes that run from the carby base and the manifold to the suction side of the pump. This causes water from the head to flow through the carby base and manifold.

Advertisement

The Gordini head does not have these holes and therfore even though the pipes are all connected there is no water able to be sucked from the head into the manifold or carby.

What effect will this have apart from the manifold and carby not being heated to a constant temperature? Will I get icing up of the carby or cracked carby base or manifold? Will air in the manifold and carby water jackets cause issues? Should I just disconnect these water pipes to the water pump.

Any thoughts?

I have blanked off these holes in the head that allow coolant warm the manifold, and have used a downdraft weber for some years on both my R15TS and 4CV with no difficulty in starting and running.

Certainly there is no manifold heating on the R12G with DCOEs. Probably enough heat transfer anyway for our conditions. ie. mostly above 0 degrees.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Might not be a problem in Queensland, but I had a R12 with blocked coolant pipes to the carby/manifold and carby icing would occur only on long country drives at cold temps (< 5 degrees)

Your engine is different - but exhaust on the opposite side to the carby, may mean the carby runs a little cooler...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I wish to fit an R17 Gordini long motor to my R15 auto. So as to minimise the issues with auto connections to carby and manifold like govenor control cables and vacuum pipes to the auto etc and air filters for the webers that I don't have, I want to bolt the existing auto manifold and carby to the Gordini motor. I also don't want make any major changes as I will eventually rebuild and put the original motor back in.

Question. The auto head has small holes into the water jacket to allow water to travel from the head to the manifold. There are pipes that run from the carby base and the manifold to the suction side of the pump. This causes water from the head to flow through the carby base and manifold.

The Gordini head does not have these holes and therfore even though the pipes are all connected there is no water able to be sucked from the head into the manifold or carby.

What effect will this have apart from the manifold and carby not being heated to a constant temperature? Will I get icing up of the carby or cracked carby base or manifold? Will air in the manifold and carby water jackets cause issues? Should I just disconnect these water pipes to the water pump.

Any thoughts?
    17 Gordini is fuel injected, not Webers, so no need for heating of manifold.
    Graham

Yeah, but it would appear Sunroof wants to keep his carby
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

[QUOTE=Europa;931349]Might not be a problem in Queensland, but I had a R12 with blocked coolant pipes to the carby/manifold and carby icing would occur only on long country drives at cold temps (< 5 degrees)

<5 degrees??? my fridge doesn't even get that cold, brrrrr.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

The engine comes temporarily out of the R12G replica that is supposed to be getting a new coat of paint. In the mean time I will rebuild the original 807 - 11 auto motor. I am well aware that side draft webers and the injection doesn't have a problem.

I have now had a think about it and unlike an R10 that can buckle and crack carby bases without water this is unlikely to cause any problem because the exhaust manifold is on the opposite side. Ther will be no effect from the hot spot. I'll remove any connection to the water pump so as not to get pockets of air that will compress perhaps reducing the pressure cap effect.

I just had a moment of panic but should have thought it through.

Thread Information