Transmission alternatives
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Transmission alternatives

Anyone tried using a different gearbox on rear engine Renaults?

Advertisement

Was wondering if anyone tried using a VW Beetle transmission? Thinking of building a rear engined Renault powered dragracer with a Turbo powered Clio or Megane engine. Power would be too much for origional rear transmitions to handle.

Fellow Frogger!

..and do you really think a veedub box would be stronger or would be geared anywhere near where you would want to befor motor that is going to peak several thou above a volks motor?
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Fitted a Dauphine Gordini 4 speed to a 4CV.

EASY

1000+ Posts

If you're going down that path then surely you'd have to consider stuffing an east west motor/transaxle unit in somewhere near where the fuel tank is/was...

If you look on YouTube there is a Dauphine drag car with VW running gear - not Renault engined though I think. Been a while since I saw it.
    cheers,

John

Default Turning Japanese...

Use the complete transaxle and engine from a WRX, good for more torque than V8 Stupid Car and cheap (well you know motorsport ain't).
    Fit up the front as well and fit a "limit/load" switch to an electronic pressure switch via an auto torque converter to an open diff. Or do what Mazda did in the RX2 and have the rear end 'jack' under full throttle. Still freaks me out during my dreams/nightmares!

The UN1 gearbox used in GTA Alpines are fairly tough and available with drag racing diff ratios when this same box is taken out of a Renault Master van. These boxes are used in many off road racing buggies and can have their diff flipped to rear engine or mid engine configuration.

The UN1 is often used in GT40 replicas and similar kit cars, as is the much more expensive G50 Porsche box. Standard the UN1 is supposed to be only good for 350Hp, with the problem mostly being from trying to put this through the unsupported 5th gear. Upgraded shafts are available to bring this figure to 500 or so.

Mine is still going well after 280 000Klms, but with only about 240Hp at the moment. A 240mm clutch will fit inside the bell housing. Mine will be rebuilt when fitting the new, hopefully more powerful engine. Synchro failure can occur if 80/90 oil is used instead of 80W, for whatever reason.

How about using the 24V PRV 3Litre V6 from with twin turbos like a Venturi. These were available in some Pug 605s and Cit XM and Renault Safrane without the turbos, and keep your Renault a Renault. The Safrane I think was available with a 12V version with twin turbos. Fairly rare bits of gear even in Europe.

Or use the later 60 degree 24V 3L V6 from a Laguna with twin turbos. Plenty of options, but they will all cost.
    Last edited by alan moore; 23rd February 2011 at 01:23 AM.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Alan,

Would love to keep it Renault. Busy doing a R16 internal swap for my R8G that's going turbo. Will see if that holds up. Think it should as it's a fairly strong box.

Still need to finish the R8 first though so many moons to wonder about what to use.

Thread Information