12to 6
  • Help

Thread: 12to 6

Default 12to 6

hi all, i have a question about. from 12 volt to 6 volt a car converted to 12 volt . starterm.alternator etc but the w.wipers are stil 6 volt it is very hard and very expenscve to find replacements like wipermotor petrol g. dasnboard thingis and i wonder if there is something for sale [converter ? ] i am sure i am not the only one to have that problem.any one can help me ? please regards cor

Advertisement

There are a numer of ways of doing this.

Find a motor that will fit, or perhaps a rotor that'll go straight in the current housing.

Have the rotor re-wound to cope with the current/voltage (may be exxy).

Have a resistor in series with the motor such that the voltage across the motor drops to 6V. You need to choose the resistor such that it won't limit the current and it will be able to dissipate the heat which will be a lot (you can calculate the effective value you need, using Ohm's law).

Build your own power source. This is a bit more complicated but can be the best solution. You can even have a potentiometer that will allow you to vary the speed or even intermittent function, rendering the wiper switch useless. Use some decent final transistors (or thyristors) in the final control stage so your wipers don't get sluggish. Wiring diagrams probably available on the web, or magazines like silicon chip, etc. You probably need something capable of at least 20A continuously.

Jaycar has a kit for about $20.00 where your input is 12v and you can select any voltage below that for your output. So select the 6 or 7.5 volt and supply to your dash to power the gauges. This will be for the dash only.
    Get a 2 ohm resistor from a Japper car coil. That is the big white porcelain one normally mounted at the coil. Cut the wiper motor lead and put this resistor in the line. Measure the voltage with the wiper motor running. See how much the voltage has dropped. If it is around 7-8V leave it as is. Maybe you will need a 2nd one in line. But those resistors should handle the wiper motor and it can take the heat generated. If it works OK then mount it so that it will not burn anything.

regards
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Default 12v to 6volt

thanks you for your reply and explaning, after a lot of phone cals i'd find a place , to rewind?wipermotor into 12 volt ,anyone who's interested ;Electro Wind in Breaside 1a Mc Beth 95808969 $120 in 10 days now to find resistors or what ever for dash, i rang a few but got nowhere yet regards cor

Default 12-6 volt

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Jaycar has a kit for about $20.00 where your input is 12v and you can select any voltage below that for your output. So select the 6 or 7.5 volt and supply to your dash to power the gauges. This will be for the dash only.
    Get a 2 ohm resistor from a Japper car coil. That is the big white porcelain one normally mounted at the coil. Cut the wiper motor lead and put this resistor in the line. Measure the voltage with the wiper motor running. See how much the voltage has dropped. If it is around 7-8V leave it as is. Maybe you will need a 2nd one in line. But those resistors should handle the wiper motor and it can take the heat generated. If it works OK then mount it so that it will not burn anything.

regards
    Frans.
    thanks Frans wipermotor wil be rewind ? to 12volt that should fix that,for the dash i didn't find anything yet i wil have to go to those places like jaycar, but i wil get back to you as soon i'd find it cor

Thread Information