Virage - coolant, oil etc.
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Virage - coolant, oil etc.

Any recommendations for specific types of oil and coolant for a Virage? I'm going to flush out the cooling system soon and was wondering if some coolants are better than others, or if they are much of a muchness. Money is no object.

Advertisement

Don't think there are any special requirements apart from common sense, keep inmind you need to use a high Zn content oil, I think one easier to find is the Mobil? GLD classic 20 W50 (from memory), anyway, if that is wrong, just look around for something with about 1200ppm Zn or above. Coolant I use Tectalloy about 50%.
    Engine revs happily and pulls strongly and I don't go easy on it. There's lots of writings on the web if you troll a little bit, but in a nutshell that's pretty much it.

More importantly if you don't know is they don't like any less than 98 octane fuels or they're going to diesel badly. Don't trust suppliers just because they say they sell you 98. I have found important differences between fuels sold as 98 octane, but am not sure they're relevant where you live. Shop around and find a reliable supplier and stick with it.

Performance & economy wise my Virage worked best with 10W30 grade but occasionally would blow a puff/cloud of smoke on start up so I stuck with 20W50 without problems (my engine was no spring chicken though). The important thing with coolant is if you don't know exactly what was in it before, thoroughly flush system with clean water first. Mixing some coolants can have an adverse chemical reaction & block your system. I've used Tectalloy 50% complete fill (pre mixed) without problems. Just my experience though
    cheers,

John

COL

Default R12 Oils and Coolants

Hi Chodaboy

I use Valvoline XLD 20W50 engine oil and use Nulon concentrate coolant and mix my own at 33%,
    Hope this helps
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Chodaboy

I use Valvoline XLD 20W50 engine oil and use Nulon concentrate coolant and mix my own at 33%,
    Hope this helps
    Yeap, that's the one.

What is Nulon for?

COL

Default Nulon Coolant Concentrate

Hi schlitzaugen

Nulon coolant concentrate is what I use in the cooling system, check link below

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Lon...rated_Coolant/
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    More importantly if you don't know is they don't like any less than 98 octane fuels or they're going to diesel badly. Don't trust suppliers just because they say they sell you 98. I have found important differences between fuels sold as 98 octane, but am not sure they're relevant where you live. Shop around and find a reliable supplier and stick with it.
    I agree about 98 octane. The very different litres per 100 you get some times, despite similar trip, can only put down to some 98 not being 98.

For oil I have had success with Mobil Special Early Model 20 W - 60.

Thread Information