Leaking Fuego Gearbox
  • Help

Default Leaking Fuego Gearbox

My gearbox leaks slowly from the end cover, where the gear selector shaft sticks out. I know it's a common fault of Fuegos, and I know that many folk choose to live with it. Even Jo Proffi -- the Oracle of Delphi when it comes to Fuegos -- has the same problem, even though I think it's keeping him awake at night. Now, Jo has helped me several times, so I finally decided to have a go at fixing mine, then I could do Jo a favour and help him fix his. Problem is, I can't seem to find anyone who can supply a new seal. Not Caravelle, Auto France or Caravelle, not Mecaparts, and not Sydney Renault dealer Col Crawford, where the spare parts guy couldn't even find a mention of a Fuego, or model R1363, so I haven't even got a part number. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Atkinson View Post
    My gearbox leaks slowly from the end cover, where the gear selector shaft sticks out. I know it's a common fault of Fuegos, and I know that many folk choose to live with it. Even Jo Proffi -- the Oracle of Delphi when it comes to Fuegos -- has the same problem, even though I think it's keeping him awake at night. Now, Jo has helped me several times, so I finally decided to have a go at fixing mine, then I could do Jo a favour and help him fix his. Problem is, I can't seem to find anyone who can supply a new seal. Not Caravelle, Auto France or Caravelle, not Mecaparts, and not Sydney Renault dealer Col Crawford, where the spare parts guy couldn't even find a mention of a Fuego, or model R1363, so I haven't even got a part number. Any suggestions?
    It should be a standard seal and perhaps why no one sources them for resale.

I have the feeling that I have put a new seal in one, and probably would have sourced it from Caravelle, as i don't recall having any difficulty. I wonder if Jo has a gearbox apart and can measure a size (O.D. I.D. and width) and we can see if an Australian seal manufacturer has an equivalent "Flaseal"?

If you can wait, and Jo can't find one quickly, I will try and extract one from a Fuego transmission and measure it up.

Ken

Thanks for the kind offer, Ken, but don't pull anything apart just yet -- I'm hoping someone will come up with a part number or some other suggestion as to where I can buy a new seal, maybe overseas. I'll wait another week or two, as the engine and gearbox are out of the car, and I want to put them back after that. You got me thinking, though, with your suggestion to pull out a seal, as I could do the same thing myself, although gearboxes (and diffs) are one of the few things I'm scared of. Maybe I can remove the seal without damaging it further, and put it back if I there aren't any new seals to buy. As you say, having the dimensions means you at least have a chance of finding a replacement that's a close fit. I wonder if two used seals might fit. Reckon it could improve things?

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Should investigate before speculating ......

Thanks for the kind offer, Ken, but don't pull anything apart just yet -- I'm hoping someone will come up with a part number or some other suggestion as to where I can buy a new seal, maybe overseas. I'll wait another week or two, as the engine and gearbox are out of the car, and I want to put them back after that. You got me thinking, though, with your suggestion to pull out a seal, as I could do the same thing myself, although gearboxes (and diffs) are one of the few things I'm scared of. Maybe I can remove the seal without damaging it further, and put it back if I there aren't any new seals to buy. As you say, having the dimensions means you at least have a chance of finding a replacement that's a close fit. I wonder if two used seals might fit. Reckon it could improve things?
    Gosh

I suppose that if you can get it out without destroying it, then measure up its dimensions and also run a micrometer over the shaft that is leaking - if you can source one - make one up with felt - that was the old style oil seal or adapt a commercial replacement.

Some of the modern seals leak when they cut a track in the shaft, there are several ways of fixing this, the wave style rubber lip on some seals were supposed to eliminate running on a narrow part of the shaft and cutting into it.

I sort of have a vague recollection that Jo's was a cup style outer seal with rubber seal ? in behind the gearbox arm.. then again I might be talking through my hat!! Best to look and see.

I'll check the gearbox manual and see what that shows....

Ken

1000+ Posts

Default Better #'s etc. for NG3 gearbox.

In the PR 1080 at section 21.66 the seal is shown as #13 on the schematic 16x22,80x4,50 and is a lip type seal renault #77 03 087 077

There is also another seal shown as #25 on the same page that is the speedo drive seal its measurements are 8,40 x 16 x6,50 also a lip type seal renault #77 03 087 074 + or 77 03 087 117

I suspect the + after the above number indicates seal superseded by the second number.

probably the leaking seal is on the shaft that has the actuating lever on it, and to replace that would require some disassembly of the rear of the box, if it is the speedo drive, that looks easier.

Simon if he is still around here might know more about whether these numbers might mean anything to a modern Renault parts person - there is probably a rhyme and reason to their numbering system, but it may have changed later - otherwise its purely searching for the same size or equivalent in an available seal.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 10th February 2011 at 10:37 PM.

1000+ Posts

I have never had any problem getting seals for a Renault. Just take the old one in dump it on the counter at a bearing shop and they have always had a replacement.

Sunroof, that is a great suggestion. I didn't know that bearing suppliers carried stocks of seals, but of course it makes perfect sense. I will definitely follow up this lead, especially since I now know the dimensions of the seal, thanks to Ken. Also, I now doubt that the existing seal can be removed without permanent damage, so a new seal is the only alternative to putting up with the leak.

COL

Default Sourcing seals

Hi Clive

I usually do what Sunroof suggested and go to a bearing shop or anothe place to try is a hydraulic shop, I have bought seals and "O" rings from hydraulic shops before. Hope this helps
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

.....bearing suppliers carried stocks of seals......
    But, not for the r20 dizzy ! and probably lots of other stuff too.

Great service though when you consider the immense variation there must be out there in seals, bearings, thrust washers and the like

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information