Outing in Auckland
  • Help

Default Outing in Auckland

Hi All,
    Ross, Harry and myself decided on short notice to go to a car show yesterday. When we arrived we were shown away because we did not enter.....That wasn't the case 2 years ago but we obliged and parked in the public carpark. We spent about half a day and returned to go home.
    What a surprise when we noticed the addition next to our cars.
    We left a number and the owner called me last night. This is a Flouride with discs front and rear, R10 box and motor AND no overheating!
    Enjoy.
    Frans.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outing in Auckland-galaxy-cars-034.jpg   Outing in Auckland-galaxy-cars-035.jpg   Outing in Auckland-galaxy-cars-036.jpg   Outing in Auckland-galaxy-cars-037.jpg  
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thats a nice collection of cars Frans...congratulations.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    This is a Flouride with discs front and rear, R10 box and motor AND no overheating!
    Enjoy.
    Frans.

Thanks Frans. I was surprised to hear last week by the mechanic where i took my car that they have never seen a Floride conversion to R10-R12 motor with the radiator at the back and not change the bonnet to a Caravelle one so as to push the air forwards.
    So Frans since your new mate has a NON over heating Floride with the air flow going out the rear as i'm trying to fix on my car, did you ask him if he mounted the radiator at the front of the engine or at the rear of it ?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Default Car Shows !!!

Hi Frans,
    When I lived in Auckland I found exactly the same thing. They would turn you away at the gate, and there would be just as nice a stuff in the car park. In fact we went to a street rod show and spent 3 hours in the carpark talking with people and taking pictures. Have a look in the background of the first picture, and you can see some very interesting cars.

Perth is a bit like that as well.

Ray geckoeng

UFO

What a friendly attitude!! AFCD in Sydney you are welcome to enter the grounds with your car on payment of the entry fee. If you choose you can park outside the display area for free.

The Auckland example shows a wonderful way to promote car club camaraderie.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Nice mini showing there Frans.

Wow, more a case of beggars can't be chosers I reckon.

We have lots of cars in the carpark at the Qld event each year but that's because many people turn up later in the day or aren't members of any club and think it's club only.

Why anyone would turn people away from an event that's obviously not a Concourse event is beyond me, very elitist and snobbish.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Now that's a nice display Frans ! The 10 looks nice in yellow too :-)
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    So Frans since your new mate has a NON over heating Floride with the air flow going out the rear as i'm trying to fix on my car, did you ask him if he mounted the radiator at the front of the engine or at the rear of it ?
    Yes I did ask him because of your problem but unfortunately he doesn't know yet. He has just bought the car in Palmerston North and bought a one way ticket there and hoped like hell the car was as good as described. Obviously he was satisfied and drove the car back on the Sunday. I think it is some 560km or so and it never missed a beat. Temp stayed at 180 and climbed a bit to 200 but never more.

I will make a plan to go and see him and I will tell you everything. The previous owner is a Aircraft Engineer and did a very neat job according to the new owner. He lives about 70 k's from me so it won't be this week. All I can say is "watch this space"

In defence of the organisers, it looked like they were pushed for space and that's the reason for limiting the cars.

Regards
    Frans.

HKP,
    I don't know if you now this one but your signature reminds me of the following one..........Understeer is when you see the tree you are going to hit, oversteer is when you feel that you have hit a tree, horse power is the speed that you hit the tree and torque is how far you push the tree.

Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I will make a plan to go and see him and I will tell you everything. The previous owner is a Aircraft Engineer and did a very neat job according to the new owner. He lives about 70 k's from me so it won't be this week. All I can say is "watch this space"
    Regards
    Frans.

No gos yet Frans?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger!

I do know that the Floride drove over 1000km during the summer a few years back with no troubles at all. A superb car to buy and use, it was probably the best resto I have ever seen, even if a bit non original, and made the car very usable. Sadly Andrew did not use it as much as he wanted, hence the sale. I will contact him and ask what he did, probably better to ask the guy who did the job, rather than a new owner?

We should have an Auckland / North Island meet...

Fellow Frogger!

Default I said I would ask!

Our car had an R12 block, late R10 transaxle, extractors, twin choke Weber etc. I used the R10 radiator and shroud that I cut and shaped to fit where they are mounted in the Caravelle. I retained the R10 water pump and multi blade fan and shroud and had no splash shields fitted. I kept the original Floride boot lid without the slots and relied on it drawing air through the original rear grill. The Floride forward intakes were left open but were mostly blocked by the fuel tank which had been previously relocated like a Caravelle.

It did a lot of miles like this and never overheated but I did have the temp gauge at the top of the green driving it hard, hot and high (on the Dessert Road) one summer.

This from Andrew who did the "resto"

1000+ Posts

I am absolutly amazed that it stays cool enough. I am pretty sure it wouldn't in Australia. One of the bigest problems with installing later motors in a Floride or Dauphine in Australia is keeping them cool. It requires more panel work than what you seem to have. It must resemble the original whether the radiator is installed in the front or back of the motor. That dictates the location of the fuel tank. Any chance of a photo of the engine bay.

Thanks for that mate, by the sounds of it he had the same problem as me though, mines fine cruising but when driven hard or on freeway runs very hot with the gauge just touching the red, i'm surprised he had any air flow through the engine bay trying to draw air in through the rear grille and not having blocked off the side air intakes
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
    We should have an Auckland / North Island meet...
    I see no one has picked up on your suggestion.

I would be keen and I have spoken to Harry and he is also a starter. It just a matter of setting a date and someone ringing around all the contacts.

Rhys do you fancy bringing the A110 down?
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Keen

Yes Ross, given a bit of notice.
    Isn't it fun to see how what someone has tried, and succeeded with on this side of the ditch "won't work in Oz" ?
    I guess that summer temps here in the late 20's and early 30's and 1000's of km at altitudes above the 5000 ft mark must be less severe than other places! I wonder if this is why AF Rnaults get so few posts on a daily basis again as it did in the last weeks pre the crash?
    Rhys

Yes, you should try our summer temps of up to 45C
    cheeky bastards!

I think 47C is the hottest I've experienced; and minus 14 at the other end of the scale.
    Not that I'm out driving in a rear engined Renault at those temps, but I have been in 40+ temps in my R10 without issue.
    Cheers
    KB
    KB

1000+ Posts

40 degree day in peak hour stop start crawl. Wonder what the air temp at two three feet off the road is with heat from the other cars adding to the temp?
    I recently decided to pull out of this situation in the Floride S with factory set up because it doesn't have a temp gauge just a light. It wasn't even a 40 degree day but I thought the temp may have been getting pretty high. I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    cheeky bastards!
    KB
    Well said.

I've tried a quick fix, which has improved my problem greatly but would like some advice before i do a major rehall of the air flow to which way to go, so thanks for the advice i wont be driving above 2000m.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger!

OK, so I have learned something today! When someone asks for how a successful outcome was achieved, I won't spend any time researching how it was done to post on the forum, as I will only be criticised.
    After the crash, in personal emails Simon did warn me of this and was one of the reasons he did not post any more.
    Never mind, lesson learned, likewise the lessons I got from a heat exchange engineer will not be posted either, as they will be ridiculed too.

Some might take your comment a certain way, but IF no pun was intended i take my comment back.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

I guess we are just a bit peeved that you can get away with some thing so simple when we have to put in so much work to keep our cars cool. It is very interesting that there is so much difference. I remember some one in NZ once saying they didn't need engine trays in. I was pretty sure I tried many years ago without them and had over heating problems. I guess conditions are just different.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Overheating

Yes there was a lot of discussion about engine trays pre crash, but much of the knowledge came from our very knowledgable South Africans like Frans. South Africa sees plenty of heat, altitude and very long climbs, the issue was not the trays, but more the sealing of the radiator on the back panel (as proven on my A110) and the rubber seal across the top of the back panel where the boot lid seals down which were the criticals.
    In the ex Andrew Lynn Floride under discussion the same care was taken, airflow past the tank is irrelevant (probably more of a problem than a help) because the air in this car is dragged forward through the rear grille by the fan, through the rad and dumped underneath, as it is in an 8,10 etc.
    My comment about heat exchange engineers may repay some study as there is much to learn about heat transfer relative to ambient temperatures. Nuff said.

Thread Information