Dead Indicators on my Fuego
  • Help

Default Dead Indicators on my Fuego

Help - the indicators suddenly died on one of my Turbos. They were working fine then re-started the car and nothing. Apart from the fuses, is there any other obvious things to check?
    Thanks

Advertisement

Check the hazard lights.
    If they are fine that sort of rules out the flasher relay.

If they dont work either, it might be the flasher relay which on a GTX is found on the underside(topside) of the fuse panel. You'll need to un screw the panel to gain access.

Jo

Icon10 Interlock effect between indicators and hazards

I got caught out with this once. It turned out to be that losing the connection at the hazard light switch stopped the indicators from working entirely. Different switches but there's a dependency there.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

lousy connection at ends of pointy fuses, dry joint/s on fuse panel, burnt slide on connector connections on panel.....

Fuego electrics, keeps you on your toes....

cheers,
    Bob

thanks very much guys

+1 Bob's advice....twiddle the fuse round & round, usually gets them working again
    ....if not, you may have used up all the clicka clickas in the the flasher can
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    ....if not, you may have used up all the clicka clickas in the the flasher can

"Clicka Clickas" Is that the Spanish version of the French Can Can dancers, who are all flashers.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    "Clicka Clickas" Is that the Spanish version of the French Can Can dancers, who are all flashers.
    yep! and in German they're known as "blinkety blinks"
    I think from memory the english version goes "ticka ticka ticka"
    The bottom line of course is that there is only a limited number of them in a can and once they're all used up...well, you just have to go get a new can.
    of course the number of clicks in each can is inversly proportioned to how "yuppie" and high end your car is...which is why you see mercedes, porche cayenne and lexus drivers using them so sparingly

Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

1000+ Posts

Default Overhaul of circuit board fuzes and connections

nzrhysco

First thing is to examine condition of wires and connectors and of course the Fuze.

I always recommend resoldering the fuze connectors where they meet the circuit board, and also checking out the sliding connectors on the main circuit board, these often lose tension or connection, some can be restored with a clean and a light wipe of solder in the printed circuit (be careful) or if the circuit connection is too burnt out, you can resolder a wire bypass with fuze to do the same job, just solder wire to appropriate place direct onto the circuit board - was done frequently by auto electricians sorting out Fuego lectrickery problems.

Probably the can of clicks box has given up, try one from another fuego, or spare and then source a new replacement if that is the problem (I always have a few on hand just in case) helps pinpoint the problem quickly.

Slightly more patience required when it is a fault in only the rear indicators, the sliding connectors need cleaning and checking and the aging circuit boards need to be closely checked, packing placed behind the printed circuit to provide more pressure on the sliding clips is the approved method, but some circuits are in such poor condition a replacement may be in order. Earth return from globes is an issue as is the crumbly nature of the plastic that surrounds and holds the globes.

Just a matter of logically working your way through the circuit to eliminate the gremlins. I've often thought about trying out some of the new LED style lights converted to work in the rear tail lights and indicators - they are getting cheaper to source and experiment with.

Nothing that time and ingenuity can't fix.

Ken

Icon10 Spanish

We Spanish do have terms for this:

The blinker is the 'intermitente'
    The fuse (where did you pick up that wretched 'fuze', Ken?) is the 'fusible'

Another couple of handy translations are:

'Dos cervezas por favor' and 'Mi amigo paga'

Oh, and for the adventurous 'No sabia que era tu mujer'

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Suitably chastised!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz View Post
    We Spanish do have terms for this:

The blinker is the 'intermitente'
    The fuse (where did you pick up that wretched 'fuze', Ken?) is the 'fusible'

Another couple of handy translations are:

'Dos cervezas por favor' and 'Mi amigo paga'

Oh, and for the adventurous 'No sabia que era tu mujer'
    I stand corrected - I've always used fuze but just checked an old Brown's 1962 motor parts catalogue and yep they have Lucas Fuses listed so I will accept that without delving into the dictionary.

Ken

Thread Information