Can a Renault Clio Sport run on Unleaded?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Can a Renault Clio Sport run on Unleaded?

Quick question. It says that 95 RON is recommended for a 2002 Renault Sport Clio, and I am just wondering whether it will run fine on just Unleaded, not Premium Unleaded.

Advertisement

Thanks.

Mine runs like arse on anything by 98... but then again I have a 98 ron map

95 is standard in Europe. Why would you put sh*t petrol in a nice car?
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by cme2c View Post
    Cause it's cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo CB View Post
    Cause it's cheaper?
    It might not be if you blow a hole in a piston.

Take it seriously. If they recommend 95, then they know something. Unleaded regular here can be as low as 91RON (something that low doesn't exist in Europe) and the computer might not be able to adjust for it.

Why would you buy a performance car if you want to save money, anyway? Doesn't running it on low RON petrol defeat the purpose of having it in the first place?

I get the feeling that if you use the lower rated fuel the ECU won't know what to do and will probably in richen the mix! Therefore it would use more fuel. So it would be cheaper to use the 95 form the start!
    Anyway United pertrol stations use ethanol which put it up to 95 RON and is cheaper than the 91! So why would you bother? All my cars run on this.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Default Crap Fuel

Cause it's cheaper?
    The higher the Octane the more economical the Clio Sport is. I run 98 + an Octane booster, so cheap fuel will only in the long run wreck a Clio Sport!

Scenic engine is basically the same motor as the Clio.
    Renault do recommend 95RON as minimum but say if only 91 is available, it'll do in a pinch.
    Yes, it runs on the cheaper stuff{did it by accident when they swapped the nozzle positions at my local} but I truly did notice a small difference in that on a hill I can normally climb in 4th@60km/h, I had to drop back a cog to prevent the car noticably labouring.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Cause it's cheaper?
    The cost of fuel is not the price on the bowser - it is how far a tank will get you. i have taken to running all of our cars on premium and I reckon the increased economy out does the four or five bucks that it costs over the ULP. Her Aunty maud has one of those 'How far to refill' toys on the dash - if I fill with ULP then do a few k to let it settle down 430 - 450, do the same on prem and i regularly see top side of 500, up to 530.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

That's exactly right. I remember my wife's 405MI16 did almost around 620km to the tank with 98RON. Not to mention that it is in peak form too!

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    I get the feeling that if you use the lower rated fuel the ECU won't know what to do and will probably in richen the mix! Therefore it would use more fuel. So it would be cheaper to use the 95 form the start!
    Anyway United pertrol stations use ethanol which put it up to 95 RON and is cheaper than the 91! So why would you bother? All my cars run on this.
    When I looked at this previously, I'm pretty sure Renault website states not to run E10 in Renaults post the scenics etc so a Clio would fall into that category. Supposedly affects some of the rubber fuel lines etc if I remember correctly. My wife and I avoid E10 in our Scenic and Laguna.
    KB
    KB

1000+ Posts

I would carefully check consumption. Friend who is very price aware tested her Camry over a long period and it was more economical to run 98. My Kluger definately has better consumption on 98 than either 91 or 95. Also check brands. Some brands regularly perform better than others in my Kluger. Unless you do a very large amount of kilometres per week the difference is only a cup of coffee any how. Could also use less "Welly" that will help.

THere is an assumption that putting 91 in the tank means 91 goes through the motor.

Chances are if the person is too tight to buy good fuel it is going to sit in the tank for a while and may just become 88 octane with age by the time it gets to the donk.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by cme2c View Post
    Cause it's cheaper?
    Follow that logic and you should get rid of the Clio and buy a Getz.

[RANT]As other posters have said, you get better economy with higher octane petrol. Look, you have a highly tuned, precision engineered vehicle. If you want it to run properly and last, don't skimp on stuff like Petrol, oil, tyres, brake pads, servicing etc. [/RANT]

FWIW, my Peugeot 206 GTi and my wife's VW Golf TSI both run on 98 exclusively.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

i too run 95 or 98 in my RS225. Yes the consumption is better the engine runs better ....my problem ....as stated "less welly " will improve the econ......... but it is soooo much fun !
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    When I looked at this previously, I'm pretty sure Renault website states not to run E10 in Renaults post the scenics etc so a Clio would fall into that category. Supposedly affects some of the rubber fuel lines etc if I remember correctly. My wife and I avoid E10 in our Scenic and Laguna.
    KB
    Thats garbage, just means Renault aernt commiting themselves just in case. I know people all over the country who run and swear by ethanol. My father for example has been using it in his 750 and his r10 and currently in his 12 year commodore and never had a fuel problem ever. My wife refuses to put anything else in her Laguna because nothing else makes it "feel" as nice. One customer in Woodend who has clocked up over 300,000km in her Scenic says she's still amazed at how smooth and reliable it is.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    just some general comments on the above, as a general matter of interest...

i dont think that is quite a correct view on the ECU operation. if the ECU is running in open loop ie when cold, or when wide throttle, then it is setting fuel and spark off stored tables, and so i dont think the type of fuel would have any input into that. if running in closed loop, which is most of the time, the ECU is adjusting for a stochimetric combustion, and i think that would always automatically adjust for the fuel used, as it is the combustion end result, rather than some characteristic of the raw fuel, which is being detected. i dont think the concept of the ECU not knowing what to do, is meaningful.

as has been touched on in this thread, the RON is only one characteristic of the fuel, and the stored energy is another. so lpg has quite a high RON, but low energy density. so E10 may well have a high RON, but it doesnt necessarily have more stored energy, which would affect fuel economy. i dont know the answer, and i have not attempted to check, so i am just stating one possibility.

more generally, it is certainly possible that improved fuel economy with higher RON fuels more than offsets their higher price, as a general truth, but bear in mind that if that is true, then neither 91 nor 95 RON fuels have any reason for existence at all. that would be surprising, so i would be cautious about claims which imply that. if it were true, then you might think that motoring organisations, manufacturers and/of government would know that, and disseminate that as a fact.
    Last edited by alexander; 4th February 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

My question is , do you always get 95 when you pay for it. I have used it 3 times in my 306xsi and on two occasions it made no difference at all and the other one seemed to offer a bit more performance but certainly no improvement in economy. I have had no ill affects running normal unleaded and would happily use ethanol blend if it was not the only engine that Peugeot specifically recommend against it. Perhaps David Cavanagh has info on that.
    I think that sometimes there is a bit of "Mine is Bigger than Yours" involved in fuel choice.
    Regards Dennis.

more generally, it is certainly possible that improved fuel economy with higher RON fuels more than offsets their higher price, as a general truth, but bear in mind that if that is true, then neither 91 nor 95 RON fuels have any reason for existence at all. that would be surprising, so i would be cautious about claims which imply that. if it were true, then you might think that motoring organisations, manufacturers and/of government would know that, and disseminate that as a fact.
    It seems that only the more modern cars need the higher octane fuel! So the older cars dont.
    My old fuego ran on almost anything so putting 91 in it didnt change the crapy fuel economy that the car had. But saved me money.

This to me seems that the organisations simply need to have the choice in different fuels for the consumer. As different cars need differen't fuels.

The car industry now has so many different varients of tunning in the engines. From the buggati veyron to the hyundai getz. You cant expect both of these to happily run on the same fuel, Or both owners being happy to pay for the same fuel! Therefore we cant just all run on 98 octane as one of your theories suggests. (I know it only a theory not trying to have a go)

Well thats my thoughts for the week, Im off to bed LOL
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

I am certain that you don't always get what the pump is supposed to be delivering. If so I get quite noticable different litres per 100 kilometres from 98 octane even for the same trip. There can be no other explanation other than lower octane being sold as higher octane. Interestingly the best is always from United, Biofuel and Matilda in Queensland but not when in NSW. Where does their fuel come from? Is it imported from Singapore in Qld or from the local refinery? I recently filled at a Coles Shell that I some times use and the result was horrendous. Why? Perhaps I should have enough interest to do a properly recorded study using a range of different brands over a measured distance on the same day, it would be interesting.

Fellow Frogger!

It says that 95 RON is recommended for a 2002 Renault Sport Clio, and I am just wondering whether it will run fine on just Unleaded, not Premium Unleaded.

Thanks.
    It is most likely that vehicle manufacturers design most of their engines to run on the most common grade of petrol in their respective markets, in order to maximise sales. And I'll bet most people around the world loathe paying more for petrol than is necessary, especially in Europe where $2.00 per litre or higher is the norm.

Australian manufacturers have of course ensured their vehicles can at least run on 91, since that is the minimum RON for regular unleaded here.

In Japan, "regular gasoline" is the most common grade and has a minimum RON of 89 (though it's commonly sold as 90) which is why many Japanese vehicles can run on regular unleaded in Australia.

However, the most common grade of petrol in Europe has a minimum RON of 95. Although 91 exists, it's either very uncommon (especially in Western Europe) or entirely absent depending on the country. And as there is no market for it, there is no reason for European manufacturers to waste R&D money trying to make their engines run on 91. So for the most part, it's more a function of economics rather than engineering.

Of course, it sucks for markets where the majority aren't used to paying for premium unleaded (pretty much the rest of the world) but them's the breaks!

So if you want to use regular unleaded, avoid European cars.

[QUOTE=alexander;927135]just some general comments on the above, as a general matter of interest...

i dont think that is quite a correct view on the ECU operation. if the ECU is running in open loop ie when cold, or when wide throttle, then it is setting fuel and spark off stored tables, and so i dont think the type of fuel would have any input into that. if running in closed loop, which is most of the time, the ECU is adjusting for a stochimetric combustion, and i think that would always automatically adjust for the fuel used, as it is the combustion end result, rather than some characteristic of the raw fuel, which is being detected. i dont think the concept of the ECU not knowing what to do, is meaningful.

QUOTE]

I don't think that is what was implied. The ECU has a map of ignition and fuelling and if that map is not designed to cover the way low octane fuels behave, then you're out of luck. And that is very likey the case, because as said above, 91RON fuel doesn't exist in Europe. That's what I was suggesting. My conclusion is you can run your car on whatever, but it's at your own risk.

Fellow Frogger!

Unfortunately Trevor G is into diesels or we could get all this sorted out.
    Regards Dennis

Tadpole

So to answer the question - YES it can run on unleaded but the question now is how long will it run on low octane before it causes damage to the engine! End of story:

I echo the above sentiments. I only* run 98 in my RS Clio, and it's a nicer car for it.

*Excepting the two instances I've been forced to put in 95.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information