R19 airbag
  • Help

Thread: R19 airbag

Default R19 airbag

Picked up a new steering wheel for series 2 19 with an airbag. I am replacing the steering wheel as the original is losing its soft rubber coating.

Advertisement

When I removed the air bag (very carefully !!!) I note there is a led that flashes.

I guess the airbag mechanism must be entirely independent of the rest of the car. So its battery powered. Do I replace the battery. What does the flashing led mean? is there a reassembly sequence.

The led flashes for a while after some movement is sensed, and tells you the battery is still ok. Have one in the shed that will flash if I bump it.

And yes it's entirely independent of the car. Means you can fit the wheels to earlier cars that dont have one.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    Picked up a new steering wheel for series 2 19 with an airbag. I am replacing the steering wheel as the original is losing its soft rubber coating.

When I removed the air bag (very carefully !!!) I note there is a led that flashes.

I guess the airbag mechanism must be entirely independent of the rest of the car. So its battery powered. Do I replace the battery. What does the flashing led mean? is there a reassembly sequence.
    Shoudda have looked in the give away section. I still have Haakon's he doesn't want any more.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Hi Jobo

That good news as I have 2 19's without airbags. Would love it if still available.

I forgot about that one... Had notions of putting it on the R21 at one point - the very last of them had one fitted like the R19. The R19 was never designed with airbags in mind either!

Still have an R19 airbag and module here - should see if the old Laguna 1 wheel I have can be adapted to work... Hmmm.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Hi Jobo

That good news as I have 2 19's without airbags. Would love it if still available.

Sure, i've your number and will call you tomorrow.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

I was at the wrecker today (perfect day for it !) I picked up 2 doors and a front guard to fix the sons 19.

Doors are on but the guard will have to wait till he can paint it white.
    I noticed on the series 1 TXE was a electronic control box (approx 150 x 200 x 40) with bendix on it. Looked suspiciously like a ABS unit. Did the TXE ever have these. Located front passenger behind the headlight.

Fellow Frogger!

I noticed on the series 1 TXE was a electronic control box (approx 150 x 200 x 40) with bendix on it. Looked suspiciously like a ABS unit. Did the TXE ever have these. Located front passenger behind the headlight.
    I don't know about ABS being on the R19, our series 1 TXE didn't have ABS. The box you describe sounds suspiciously like the ECU for the auto transmission.

Yes it was auto.

Thread Information