fuego trivia
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: fuego trivia

Default fuego trivia

I thought i'd start a light hearted thread on trivial facts I've gleamed from running old fuego's.

Advertisement

Trivial fact #1. a fuego will start and run on one cylinder.

I dont know if other cars will do this but a fuego will.

It wont drive of course, you need 2 cylinders firing to do that.

Trivial fact #2 a fuego will start and drive on 2 cylinder.

it wont go very fast of course, you need the third cyl to get up to any speed or decent RPM.

Trivial fact #3 a fuego will start run and go prety well on 3 cylinders.
    Its enough to do a paddock bash or drive anywhere on the road and keep up with most traffic.

It wont pull hard enough to go over the speed limit though, you need the fourth cylinder for that.

Jo

Icon10

Trivial fact #4 a fuego will move with the starter motor if none of the cylinders work.
    it won't go very far in a short space of time of course, for that you need trivial fact #2
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

trivial fact #5, a floppygo is dangerous on 4cyl as people tend to think they maybe able to round the next corner
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Trivial fact #6 a fuego driven on it's starter will be very economical on fuel.
    It won't go for long tho, you will need spare batteries for that.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

1000+ Posts

Icon11 Round - Tuit needed!! for trivia.

Hmmn its a trivial fact that my Fuego is running on two cylinders with the other two sharing the same via a crook gasket between them, now would that be two and a half or three cylinder operation, ran the whole way back from Echuca at the speed limit, but tended to stall a bit when idling. No oil in water or water in oil so far.

It will be that way till I get time to pull the head off and replace the gasket -never retire you have no time for ANYTHING!!

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=Kenfuego;925119]Hmmn its a trivial fact that my Fuego is running on two cylinders with the other two sharing the same via a crook gasket between them, now would that be two and a half or three cylinder operation, ran the whole way back from Echuca at the speed limit, but tended to stall a bit when idling. No oil in water or water in oil so far.

It will be that way till I get time to pull the head off and replace the gasket -never retire you have no time for ANYTHING!!

You just may have reinvented the Puch Split Single engine only more. (How many people understand this Statement?)
    Regards Dennis

[QUOTE=dalderton;925295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Hmmn its a trivial fact that my Fuego is running on two cylinders with the other two sharing the same via a crook gasket between them, now would that be two and a half or three cylinder operation, ran the whole way back from Echuca at the speed limit, but tended to stall a bit when idling. No oil in water or water in oil so far.

You just may have reinvented the Puch Split Single engine only more. (How many people understand this Statement?)
    Regards Dennis
    I (or rather my bro and I) had a go kart with Puch engine like this in it. In the mid 60's

Two cylinders, common combustion and a transfer port for the f-a mix.

Went like the clappers but eventually seized due to lack of cooling in the rear of go kart.

The next engine was 350 Tiger Cub but that's another story...

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=robmac;925305]
    Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post

Might have been another variety of Triumph, but Tiger Cub only went to 200cc!

[QUOTE=kiwia110;925316]
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

Might have been another variety of Triumph, but Tiger Cub only went to 200cc!
    Well, 50 years odd of brain and body abuse can make memories fade.

I'm sure it was 350, I'm sure it had the classic triangular crankcase and was a long stroke single with an Amal.

I recall we used the Burman box off it.

So rather leaving the Banana man poking fun, feel free to share your expertise and tell me the model?

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Trivial Fact #8

A brand new Fuego was a fabulous car only to be stuffed up by lousy servicing at City Autos (Sydernee)

Alastair

Trivia Question #9

For Jo

Does a Fuego float??

Don't ask me why? Just seemed like useful trivia.

Trivia Question #9

For Jo

Does a Fuego float??

Damn I dont know the answer to that question, however knowing what i know of the car, I'd say it would float for a minute or so. There is a hell of a lot of air in the middle of a fuego and not a lot of holes.

Jo

I do know it floats over slushy sludge/mud better than a subaru AWD
    ...but the answer to do they float, I think was recently tested by dad and the result was 'not exactly'
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

[QUOTE=robmac;925305]
    Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post

I (or rather my bro and I) had a go kart with Puch engine like this in it. In the mid 60's

Two cylinders, common combustion and a transfer port for the f-a mix.

Went like the clappers but eventually seized due to lack of cooling in the rear of go kart.

My Dad has a couple of Puch motorcycles. The engine is fascinating :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Tell tale!! You'll keep!

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    I do know it floats over slushy sludge/mud better than a subaru AWD
    ...but the answer to do they float, I think was recently tested by dad and the result was 'not exactly'
    Trivial Fuego Fact (insert #) It DID sit with the rear in water almost to the "plimsoll line" at at the very edge of the door and NO water entered the interior of the car!! Which was lucky for me as Mother was in the back seat below water level line and father In Law was in the front seat patiently waiting for the car to be towed out. Would never have heard the end of it, if they ended up wet!!

The exhaust was bubbling along quite well until the engine finally stalled while I was trying to get a tow out, and not surprising seeing the engine was half under water too (which means the distributor would be in the water on the side of the engine and water spraying everywhere from the fan belts etc) so it did a pretty fair emulation of a submarine!!

Of course once the engine stopped it gulped a bit of water back into the cylinders, and when I used the starter motor to help the towing that water obviously did the weakest part of the head gasket between #1 and 2 cylinders. And even then when it dried out properly it started and ran enough to get it back to Melbourne!! So all in all, it takes a lot to stop a Fuego.

Moral of the story is don't assume a little water over a bush track is negotiable when the track is used regularly by 4x4's as a "trenching exercise" cutting wheel ruts in the clay surface underneath the nice calm water surface!!

Ken

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Damn I dont know the answer to that question, however knowing what i know of the car, I'd say it would float for a minute or so. There is a hell of a lot of air in the middle of a fuego and not a lot of holes.

Jo
    quite a lot of air i heard

helps towards purchase of said car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Trivial fact #13 a fuego parked in my garage next to my Floride would look mighty damn fine........anyone got one to spare?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Trivia Question #9

For Jo

Does a Fuego float??

Yes! Mine did, until I opened the door to get out!
    Long story, many years ago!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=robmac;925330]
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110 View Post

Well, 50 years odd of brain and body abuse can make memories fade.

I'm sure it was 350, I'm sure it had the classic triangular crankcase and was a long stroke single with an Amal.

I recall we used the Burman box off it.

So rather leaving the Banana man poking fun, feel free to share your expertise and tell me the model?
    Triumph Tiger Cubs were unit construction i.e. no separate gearbox so that lets it out. I may be wrong but other than the Cubs I cant remember a postwar Triumph Single and all of the post war twins had Triumph gearboxes I think.Dont know about prewar ,a bit before my time. Triangular look sounds a bit like one of the smaller Panther Singles I think they had Burman gearbox.
    Regards Dennis

[QUOTE=dalderton;925823]

Triumph Tiger Cubs were unit construction i.e. no separate gearbox so that lets it out. I may be wrong but other than the Cubs I cant remember a postwar Triumph Single and all of the post war twins had Triumph gearboxes I think.Dont know about prewar ,a bit before my time. Triangular look sounds a bit like one of the smaller Panther Singles I think they had Burman gearbox.
    Regards Dennis
    Thanks Dennis,

I was 13 in 1965 and my brother 23. So I can't see such a new bike being scrapped.

So it's possibly something a lot earlier. You are also making doubt the Burman box.

cheers

Rob

Tadpole

Trivia question ##14## What was the fastest time a fuego traveled from Melbourne to Adelaide ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Trivia question ##14## What was the fastest time a fuego traveled from Melbourne to Adelaide ?

Was the road flooded or dry?

4 hrs I believe
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    4 hrs I believe
    Let me guess there was a daylight savings change in there?

Tadpole

Trivia question #15# Best time a Fuego traveled from Essendon Airport to Torquay and return

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information