My RS225 in for Roadworthy
  • Help

Default My RS225 in for Roadworthy

Hi All,

Nearly there,

My RS225 has been put through the roadworthy testing this morning. Fearing the worst.

The news was really good. to get RWC i need 1 tyre. I will get all 4 changed and the guys changed the pollen filter which took away a ticking noise from the a/c fan.

So all in all a damn pleasing result. Although part of the front undertray came free on barwon heads rd Saturday evening. Bit embarrassing being under the car roadside and better to find 4 of the 5 bolts were MIA.
    All fixed now ........... just a set of europlates to complete the the look !

Advertisement
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Quote Originally Posted by RickHy View Post
    Although part of the front undertray came free on barwon heads rd Saturday evening. Bit embarrassing being under the car roadside and better to find 4 of the 5 bolts were MIA.

Bloody Service techs!
    KB

WOW thats great for a RWC. reminds me of the mi16 it needed a Number plate light globe. The RWC bloke changed it for me for free then wrote out for me!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

yer very happy. The new boots going on today. Have chosen a tyre i havent heard much about but a few good reports. Kendra KR20. It is a performance tyre looks good ....hope it will go good. 60,000km warranty helps too
    Rick
    Geelong Vic

PAST:

Quote Originally Posted by RickHy View Post
    Kendra KR20. It is a performance tyre looks good ...

Did you buy the RS 225 for just the look as well???

I hope so, because you are about to throw its performance out the window by fitting crap tyres .
    Each to their own, but why buy a rs then put anything but the best tyres on it???
    Its like buying a $40k hifi and then tuning it in to 2UE.

My advice would be forget the ultra cheap nasties and stick to premo brands like michi, yokohama, bridgestone etc, or toyo for a slightly cheaper tyre.
    Jo

Ps, I dont know what 68404 has on his 225, but at the Af BBQ this weekend when everyone started swinging and driving eachothers cars, Breno's comment cracked me up when Dave asked him what he thought of the megane....
    "It will be good when you get some tyres for it" was his answer.
    It was also funny seeing Daves look of amazement when brenno told him the hazard light come on when you brake really hard. I dont think Dave uses his brakes.
    Last edited by jo proffi; 25th January 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Hi Jo,

Well at present it has Conti Sport contact on (nearly slicks).
    I bought the car because I like driving. It is unlikley (working 6 days a week) that I will find the time for track outings or anything more than the occasional run through some winding back road is as good as i will see for a while. most driving will be to work and home. The Meg sedan will be the family outing car.
    I will reserve judgement on the performance of the tyres at the moment.
    Rick
    Geelong Vic

PAST:

And the replacement for ContiSports is in excess of $500 per corner. Dunno if Rick can afford them for the RS225 - but I certainly can't for the Grand Scenic, which explains its new P7 shoes.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Fellow Frogger!

Back in the days when I worked in smash repairs in the motorcycle industry I found that most of the catastrophic " Throw the bike away in the biggest possible way" type crashes were wearing the latest and greatest tyres on the market. Tyres dont make cars better,they only make them go faster and give them the opportunity to crash at a higher speed.
    Thats my opinion anyway. Regards Dennis.

Hi Ricky. Let me know how your tyres go? My car currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx, which I think it was shipped with? They seem ok so far, but don't really have anything to compare them to. I have had Dunlops before and wasn't too happy with them. I hope to find a nice set of Michelins next up. Hopefully not for another 20K or so.
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Had the chance to have a bit of a drive. No thing above normal speeds or conditions. So far the tyres are very quiet and seem to ride pretty well. I think they will do the job.
    If I want to get into some serious driving i may look at a different set of tyres but for now happy with the rubber and hapy to save the $$$$
    Rick
    Geelong Vic

PAST:

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu 25 View Post
    Hi Ricky. Let me know how your tyres go? My car currently has Dunlop Sport Maxx, which I think it was shipped with? They seem ok so far, but don't really have anything to compare them to. I have had Dunlops before and wasn't too happy with them. I hope to find a nice set of Michelins next up. Hopefully not for another 20K or so.
    I have never been a Dunlop user, but have put a set of the Sport Maxx (and now the sport maxx TT) on the Alpine and have been very happy with them. Reasonably quiet, grip well wet and dry and last about 40K on the rear of the GTA, including some track time, and certainly cheaper than the Michis in the 255/40/17 on the rear.

I had seen two tyre tests done on performance type tyres which these won one and got second in the other. This is what guided me to try them.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    about to throw its performance out the window by fitting crap tyres .
    Got to agree there.

Buy the better known recognised brands.

Went NanKangs on the Scenic last change a couple of years ago and I would never ever buy garbage again. Sure Kenda are supposedly good motorbike tyres but for cars are an unknown quantity at the moment. The only area they were up to the task was handling, surprisingly. Probably only as good as the Michi's and only because they were 235/60 as opposed to 215/65.

For my I'd be sending the extra everytime because it will work out the same in the long run. I could have waited last time and saved and bought better, will next time.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
    Back in the days when I worked in smash repairs in the motorcycle industry I found that most of the catastrophic " Throw the bike away in the biggest possible way" type crashes were wearing the latest and greatest tyres on the market. Tyres dont make cars better,they only make them go faster and give them the opportunity to crash at a higher speed.
    Thats my opinion anyway. Regards Dennis.
    Better perhaps not. Safer definitely.

Faster can't see how a car can be made faster by a tyre. If the driver is lulled into false sense security and drives faster then, yes.

But I suspect people who buy tyres to go faster will always drive at the car at the limit anyway and be consistently hazardous. That's their attitude not the tyre.

I worked next door to Woods Body Repair Shop for many years and they boss would stand out the front on wet Fridays and Mondays gloating at head to tails caused by impatient driver and poor wet weather tyre adhesion. Much same as you have mentioned.

So perhaps some of us buy "good" tyres for safety margin and improved braking performance. I certainly do, plus low noise comfort and multitude of other reasons not related to driving at 10 tenth's of the tyres grip.

So, no, I can't agree but of course you are entitled to your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    So perhaps some of us buy "good" tyres for safety margin and improved braking performance. I certainly do, plus low noise comfort and multitude of other reasons not related to driving at 10 tenth's of the tyres grip.

So, no, I can't agree but of course you are entitled to your opinion!
    Well said, Rob.

Even as a self confessed hoon, there is still only one time i demand 10/10 from my tyres and that is in emergency braking. For all the hoon stuff, i like to leave a little headroom of safety.

I can choose when and how I over cook a corner, and can choose the speed i travel at, but what I have absolutely no control over is the hazard that unexpectedly presents itself in front of me and needs to be avoided. I can be defensive and try and anticipate things before they happen but sooner or later, I'll just find myself in the wrong place at the wrong time through no particular fault of my own.

Thats the exact reason when i re shod my mums automatic whitegoods korean mule i shod it with the best tyre money can buy.
    I just know for a fact she is never going to speed, over cook a corner or do anything fast and hoony like change her ultra conservative driving style, but seeing as she is old and wears glasses and is not as sharp as she was 30 years ago, she needs every single bit of braking performance she can buy.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Thats the exact reason when i re shod my mums automatic whitegoods korean mule i shod it with the best tyre money can buy.
    I just know for a fact she is never going to speed, over cook a corner or do anything fast and hoony like change her ultra conservative driving style, but seeing as she is old and wears glasses and is not as sharp as she was 30 years ago, she needs every single bit of braking performance she can buy.

Jo
    That is also why my wife's Madza Tribute has the best possible Yoko 4wd tyre on it!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    That is also why my wife's Madza Tribute has the best possible Yoko 4wd tyre on it!
    Both us 'concerned' blokes are possibly skating on thin ice about now.
    Jo

and that also why the wife Megane will be getting the good stuff. She will be driving the kids about day in day out . Better tyres for her car will be a must.
    Me ...aggghhh I can be replaced *L*
    Rick
    Geelong Vic

PAST:

Thread Information