Connecting cables to Brake Calipers R17
  • Help

Default Connecting cables to Brake Calipers R17

Hello Folks, My R17 has a set of free cables with cylindrical connectors up front and rear left and right that according to the wiring diagram connect to the calipers. I rebuilt all four calipers and found no connectors on them or signs of any missing connectors. I have no idea where is it these cables connect to. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Advertisement

Hi Rique,

They should connect to sensors in the actual brake pads. On your car, you should have a cable on each wheel. When the brake pads are worn, the sensor will touch the disk brake and complete the circuit which will cause the brake light to illuminate in your instrument cluster.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Hey Matt, thanks for the help again. Guess those cables will run loose for now. My OEM pads and sensor are long gone. Do you happen to know who made them for Renault? or if they are still available.

Regards, Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by rique View Post
    Hey Matt, thanks for the help again. Guess those cables will run loose for now. My OEM pads and sensor are long gone. Do you happen to know who made them for Renault? or if they are still available.

Regards, Enrique

You can make your one, Rique.

All you need to do is drill the pad material to the dpeth you want (about the bottom of the central trench) and attach a brass rivet to which you attach the wires. When the pad is worn to the set depth, the rivet will touch the disc and your warning light comes on. Not a pleasant job drilling pad material as it's toxic. Perhaps if you drill it underwater (another dangerous enterprise, perhaps use a cordless drill) it's as safe as it can be. Dispose thoughtfully of the water then.

I thought we didn't make brake pads out of toxic material anymore so that our mechanics and DIY's could enjoy long and happy lives?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information