Tyre recommendations
  • Help

Default Tyre recommendations

While this has probably been flogged to death before - it must have died in the great Crash of 2010. The Scenic's original Conti tyres (205;55/R17) are nearly illegal so its time to let the moths out of the wallet and replace them.

Advertisement

The car is basically used around the suburbs with an occasional longer trip. While I would love to be able to afford *really* good (and expensive) replacements, I've got plenty of other things to spend the money on if there is a reasonable quality cheaper alternative. Any suggestions?
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

I'm running Kumho's on my Series 2 Laguna and a friend has the same tyre on his wife's Scenic 2.
    They seem to be a very good tyre for the price, quiet, good wear and reasonable grip in both wet and dry. I can't recall driving the scenic since it had the new tyres on it, but my friend hasn't said anything bad about them (and he's pretty fussy). My tyres on the laguna are lower profile and I found them to be a tad harsher over bumps, but I guess that is more profile than tyre per se.
    KB
    KB

I had Hankook's when we bought Westinghouse (don't laugh - Viva Wagon), but have changed to BF Goodrich....which are owned by Michelin....

I would have put Michelins on only in the size needed they were only available in one pattern and not the XM1 or XM1+....which can often be had on sale for around the $150 mark...
    Last edited by Ronhic; 20th January 2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: change

I've replaced my Conti Sportcontact II tyres as supplied on my Megane with Toyos. Originally went with Proxes, but had a sidewall failure, now gone for the cheaper Toyo Teo Plus. Toyo Proxes felt similar in performance to the Conti's (although 50% of the price). The Teo's definitely are a lower performance tyre (you can feel that the steering response is slower), however they are more comfortable and a little quieter.

I'd have the Conti's if money was no object, but for the use that mine gets, the Teo's are fine and very economical.

Got mine from Tyrepower.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    I've replaced my Conti Sportcontact II tyres as supplied on my Megane with Toyos. Originally went with Proxes, but had a sidewall failure, now gone for the cheaper Toyo Teo Plus. Toyo Proxes felt similar in performance to the Conti's (although 50% of the price). The Teo's definitely are a lower performance tyre (you can feel that the steering response is slower), however they are more comfortable and a little quieter.

I'd have the Conti's if money was no object, but for the use that mine gets, the Teo's are fine and very economical.

Got mine from Tyrepower.
    Agree with all your comments. I also have been running Toyo Teo Plus on our Scenic I (205/55/15). Noticeably smoother and quieter than Contis and about same wear rate. IMO Toyos not cheap, but darn sight better than Contis.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Default Conti's cheap as !

Check out the cheap Conti 3s in the USA www.tirerack.com

205 55 17 $146 US each plus shipping to Oz $60-$70

So 4 tyres less than $1000 no GST.
    Thanks Mr Harvey for letting us know about on line shopping

What about Kendas?

Ended up with 215/55R17 Pirelli P7's at around $200 a corner. The prices for 205/55R17 Conti's or Michelins (standard fitment to a number of Porsches) started at around $550 a corner.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    What about Kendas?
    Kenda has only recently moved into car tyres, although they have a good name in tyres for bicycles, wheelbarrows, golf carts etc. They are a Taiwanese company, so the tyres won't let you down (literally and otherwise). I guess it depends what you want to use them for? If you are a 'regular' driver who wants long life, good grip, and generally thinks tyres are 'round black rubber things', Kendas would be a good choice.

If you are more of a hoodlum (young, old, or in between), perhaps you might look at something a little pricier from a 'known' brand? They'll cost a lot more, won't last as long, but you get the benefits of experience, adhesion, and safety at the higher limits.

It's a matter for you.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I am fitting Kendra KR20's to my RS225 as we speak. They "look" good. I have been told by a few people who have them on bigger cars that they are quiet ride well and have 60,000 waranty on them. Worth a go i think
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Default Lack of Scenic tyres in Oz - weight rating

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Ended up with 215/55R17 Pirelli P7's at around $200 a corner. The prices for 205/55R17 Conti's or Michelins (standard fitment to a number of Porsches) started at around $550 a corner.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Just found the same predicament for the same car. Not many cars take this size in Oz. Only Grand Scenics, Mazda 6 (optioned), & Boxsters. Yay.
    The other option was rated at 91H instead of 91V.
    Not sure but would that cause issues with insurance just when you needed it?

Not all doom & gloom though. Just got some ContiSportContact2's shipped over for $120 each (+ P&H). Better than $550.
    Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Can't speak for a Scenic II, but replaced the original Michelins on our Scenic I with Pirelli P6. Asked the retailer for Michelins, but they only had 3 that day. The Pirellis are fine, if anything quieter and a little softer ride than the originals. And a lot less expensive, which was a bonus. Again, I can only speak for the Scenic I, but it does not seem overly sensitive when it comes to tyres, so long as they are a good quality brand.

Kenda's are quiet and ride well. On my RS225 the wet weather grip is almost NIL.
    Dry weather grip isnt too bad.
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Pirelli P6.

Thread Information