Renault Koleos purchase
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Koleos purchase

Hi everyone,
    What is the general feedback about buying and driving a Koleos.
    Mainly in the inner city area of Melbourne with a few trips to South Gipsland planned.
    The deisel/auto model.
    2009 model with a glass roof.
    What are service costs like.
    Any traps ? ?
    cheers
    Hawk

Advertisement

Big speed humps in your neighbourhood...?

Save your money and get a Xtrail if you want a pointless Korean suv... Or better yet - get a car and dont add another bloody suv to the city traffic scape.

I think they are nice. Lots in Sydney too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Big speed humps in your neighbourhood...?

Save your money and get a Xtrail if you want a pointless Korean suv... Or better yet - get a car and dont add another bloody suv to the city traffic scape.
    Agreed - you can get more luggage in the back of a Grand Scenic than a Koleos.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Can a Grand Scenic go offroad though?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Pretty well everything can go offroad, just different limits for different vehicles. I've had my Renault 750 on the Birdsville Track. If I wanted an offroad vehicle I'd buy a Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol and not mess about with dinkies.

I agree, get an X-trail turbo diesel (Renault engine) if you have to have one of "those", otherwise go for a more space efficient vehicle. The Grand Scenic is great if you want a Renault.

I have a friend in Melbourne on his second or third X-trail, and he's pretty happy with them. I'd expect much better resale value. Now, there's the hint, get a low km low mileage Koleos. Probably much cheaper. I'd never buy a new one, that's for sure, given the likely depreciation.

I've no idea regarding reliability etc but expect they'd be fine.

Do let us know what you get.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

He hasn't said he's buying the 4x4 Koleos. He could be looking at a 2x4
    KB

Default Koloes

Hi, we drive a 4x4 priviledge. it is a great car, has great sound and fantastic ability off road. I have previously drove an x-trial and the koloes matches or exceeds it all in all respects. Car maint is relatively cheap and is comparable to a ford, nissan etc. If you are interested, go for a drive you wont be disappointed. I am sick of those korean bashers out there - get real, the manufacturing economy has shifted!

Plus its for city use mainly... They are pointless at the best of times, but in the city they add bloody annoying to everyone else.

I am not an SUV person myself. But the Koleos is a really nice drive. It is a much nicer place to be inside than X-Trail and drives better the Tiguan.
    Regarding its country of origin. I dare say this a flogged topic but look at "luxury" brands BMW Merc, they build everywhere but germany. VW mexico, south africa. Now Volvo are looking to build in China. End of the day a good car (SUV) is a good car regardless of what it build location is. Sure sounds nicer to say build in France or Germany.....but is the customer going to pay a premium price to build in those countries..... history of Renault Aus says no.
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Fellow Frogger!

Default koleos

Thanks for the replies that gave me constructive comments.

In this case I am asking for my adult daughter who is just about to have a baby and needs the space and the superior seat height for city driving and the safety for country driving - the all wheel drive option just happens to come with the deisel specifications.

Good fuel economy and definitely a Euro feel to this car. She already has a Clio Sport in the household which is obviously unsuitable for carry prams and dogs and two adults safely. The glass roof makes the cabin very airy and bright too. Lots of useful extras included in this model.

Haakon there are lots of reasons why people want a particular body style.

I think most of you are right - the fact that it is made in Korea is just a fact of life these days. All the cars are built by robots anyway - so I don't see that this should creat a stigma. My VW Jetta is made in Mexico ; which nearly made me not buy it - but the build quality is very good after four years - nothing has gone wrong with it yet - not even a blown light globe

Anyway the koleos has been purchased second hand so a big chunk of depreciation has been sliced off it.

I will give you a report in a few months - fingers crossed it doesn't have the crappy Clio electrics.

cheers
    Hawk

Safety for country driving would be far better served with a lower centre of gravity Scenic - the Koleos is not immune from the usual propensity to roll over SUVs have. If there is a high speed ditch excursion involved, its much more likely to go over - very common country road accident.

High driving position served as well in a Scenic, and space efficiency also considerably better. More room in the back and a lower load area for getting those prams in (how big are these prams anyway...?!)

Theres just nothing good about them or their ilk - pointless and compromised in just about every direction. If its a fashion thing, at least thats a reason I guess..

Fellow Frogger!

Hear Hear Haakon!

For those who try to justify a "HIGH SEATING POSITION"

Read usually a S'house Driver who TAILGATES!

In my experience people end up buying what they WANT - not what they NEED.

They waste everyone's time then trying to justify and validate their poor judgement.

Sorry to be cynical....

So have fun with your choice.....

But I wouldn't put a precious small child in ANY SUV.

Then explain to that growing child how global warming wrecked the planet....

i wish we still had new scenics to sell. They were the ideal family car. Have everything needed and then more.
    While i am not really an SUV person I can see they have their place. If people went to go camping or light grade off road work....but in saying that most will never leave the highway which renders them a bit more pointless.
    For me the Scenic is perfect 5 seater has good rear space and Grand scenic had great loading space as well as a higher drive position ........ bring them back !!!
    Rick
    Geelong Vic
    2012 Koleos Dynamique - Family Wagon

PAST:
    Clio RS172 .... Silver - Damn strong car !
    10 Fluence Privilege Sedan Black
    07 RS225 3 door - Monako Blue
    07 Megane Privilege Sedan Black
    Chevrolet Corvette- red of course
    Nissan Skyline GTS turbo - fantastic machine
    Alfa Romeo 33 Quattro Wagon -ebayed for profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Theres just nothing good about them or their ilk - pointless and compromised in just about every direction.
    they are good for climbing steep driveways with the trailer and launching the boat on soft sand.
    My mates ford escape is a ripper for those things.
    So.....Apart from that,

What have the romans ever done for us???????

Jo

Its been done to death before, but here are the fun vids again anyway.

An SUV is very poor safety choice. They roll over, they have compromised handling, they have poor space efficiency, and they are overly aggressive to others in road accidents.

High speed country driving is where they are a particularly risky choice, with rollovers the type of accident you are least likely to survive. Curtain airbags on help for the first one or two rolls, after that you're on your own. And having a higher roofline means its going to hit the ground that much harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pVF1Wr7GLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1UDoa6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXeKSDpFjlg

This is Kirsty's old R21 - it was t boned by a Kia with a compatible safety structure that struck the Reno on its intrusion bars. If the front had been Koleos height (or Territory, or Xtrail, or Prado etc etc etc) it would have struck much higher. The window glass would offer less resistance than the intrusion bar I suspect, and I doubt she would have got out of it with only whiplash.

I do not like SUVs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Koleos purchase-r21.jpg  
    Last edited by Haakon; 20th January 2011 at 05:21 PM.

Haakon, a koleos is nothing like a prado, landrover, lndcruiser, pajero or any of the other big full offroaders.

Its a crossover vehicle.

Jo

Its still higher and heavier than it needs to be - thats the point. Granted though that its not a body on frame construction.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 911 was nothing compared to SUV rollovers

US statistics show "that rollovers are generally 75% more likely in a SUV than a "regular" car."

"In 2000 10,108 - yes you read right - over TEN THOUSAND - people died (in US) because of traffic collisions that led to SUV rollovers."

"More than 62% of SUV fatalities happen because the vehicle experiences a rollover."

In T-bone collisions where the height of a SUV overrides the victim regular vehicle and KILLS or injures a person,
    I believe legislation should be passed that this action be considered a mandatory manslaughter case, in particular where bull bars are involved.

Poor drivers using the bulk of their "battering ram" to maim others should be prosecuted.

The Cops keep harping on about SPEEDING as if it is the only factor in their conquest of fatality statistics.

They appear to have no comprehension that the severity of a collision is directly related to the amount of KINETIC ENERGY possessed by the vehicles concerned, and the dissipation of that energy into heat etc in the deformation of the vehicles (and passengers).

Kinetic energy is proportional to the MASS of the object multiplied by the square of the SPEED.

So sure MR Copper an increase of speed is highly dangerous, but so is the mass.

So perhaps speeding fines should be by TONNAGE.

Say the standard fine for any particular speeding offence is applied to a gross vehicle weight of less than one tonne. ( and yes, a Clio is over that and will incur a double fine)

Let's look to the future and encourage sub 1 tonne economy vehicles.

But a Landcruiser at less than three tonnes gets triple the fine, and a B double of say 60 tonnes gets 60X the fine.

Great for the State's coffers, and watch semi drivers start to take care.

And oh yes - redouble whatever the fine if a bull bar is fitted....

There you go Mr Premier - state budget fixed!

Fellow Frogger!

Default koleos

Wow, this is provoking some interesting polarisation of ideas and feelings.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I drive a Citroen 2CV also so everything looks big.

cheers
    Hawk

Fellow Frogger!

Good on you Hawk, bravo!

The 2cv is less than a tonne innit?

So you will only get the standard speeding fine.

Most collisions statistically happen within 5 KM of home.

So just make sure your daughter on her way to visit you dosen't T bone your Deux Chevaux with her future Silly Useless Vehicle!!

RECONSIDER!

Who said anything about going off road? The car is being used around Melbourne and South Gippsland. While not from Victoria, I would assume there are paved roads in South Gippsland

Quote Originally Posted by RickHy View Post
    i wish we still had new scenics to sell. They were the ideal family car. Have everything needed and then more.
    While i am not really an SUV person I can see they have their place. If people went to go camping or light grade off road work....but in saying that most will never leave the highway which renders them a bit more pointless.
    For me the Scenic is perfect 5 seater has good rear space and Grand scenic had great loading space as well as a higher drive position ........ bring them back !!! .
    Agree completely - and if Renault ask their dealer's staff for information please pass it on. The Renault dealers up here talk about a possible 7 seat Koleos as a replacement for the Grand Scenic but I'd rather buy anything designed as a 7 seater (maybe with the exception of a Dodge Journey).
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

I think everyone is being unfair to the original poster. If you hate these types of vehicles (I hate the US term SUV) fine, but how about addressing the original questions rather than saying "Korean French crap" knowing that you have never even sat in one let alone drive one.

For the record, I have driven the petrol 2WD model with CVT. Not something I would buy (only because I like smaller cars) but it seemed to be a good sort of thing.

Now can anyone assist the original poster with constructive comments, rather than your own prejudices....m'kay

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Default AWD's derided on AussieFrogs? What's Happenin'?

Suedo-intellectual green lefty irrational reasoning propounded by many of our antagonists does not excuse the fact that 4x4's do have a place in motoring society. After all, if it's legal to ride a bicycle with absolutely no knowledge of or regard for your State's road rules, (Don't ya think that's kinda cute?) surely you can drive around in a 4x4? As far as Renault goes I think I should remind everyone that Renault 4x4's were the first vehicles to cross the Sahara way back, I think in the twenties or early thirties. Someone will undoubtedly try and correct me. Maybe it was a Tiguan or an Xtrail?

And a little tip for us Aussies: please don't use the acronym SUV for vehicles in Australia, it's so gauche! If you have to, it's probably because you watch too much U.S. TV. How can you have 3 tonnes, utility and sport in the same vehicle? I ask you? Maybe that's a Bentley Continental? Certainly nothing American! SUV's are an American conspiracy to reduce their population!

My car is an economical diesel AWD, thank you. It doesn't have a transfer case to make it a "Real" 4WD, and I didn't want the extra size, weight, fuel consumption or registration costs either. I don't personally give a rodent's rectum regarding anyone's likes or dislikes of my Koleos, it looks 'n feels great from where I drive it! As a multiple new Renault owner since 1967 it appears, IMHO, to be the best Renault I've ever owned and it doesn't even run on petrol!

For those of you that are worried about rolling, already have rolled or are about to roll a vehicle (to get in touch with your inverted psyches,) the best of luck! I've never rolled anything other than a leg-over in my fairly long life, cart axles, swing axles, rallying and Koleos included!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

No greenie points made by me - a Koleos is way more efficient than many cars. It's still not as efficient as it could be of course...

My beef is road safety - for occupants and those forced to share the roads with them.

Apologies to the OP if offended - I merely try to educate in the face of misconceptions that these dumb arse things are safe. Pretty key points I think given this was bought for it's perceived kiddie friendliness!

The last poster unfortunately exhibits the standard suv (4wd, awd, whatever you want to call it. I call it a compensation device) driver attitude - "I like it and I don't give a toss about anyone else". Not an uncommon attitude in today's world, although maybe I'm just a cynical lefty greenie...

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information