Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed

Posted before the crash about sourcing the door trim clips but couldn't get a photo up as apparently there are different types.

I also need a new heater tap assembly, as the valve inside has rusted/broken and can't be moved. The heater is stuck on full - which was just awesome on the 41 C New Year's Eve we had here in Melbourne. This is a completely different setup to what I had on my first 78 Virage.

Advertisement

I took these pics at work on my way home from Costco - the third pic is what $800 worth of shopping does to a Virage's suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed-door-clip.jpg   Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed-heater-valve.jpg   Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed-fully-loaded.jpg  

Looking at that pic makes me miss my little R12.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    Looking at that pic makes me miss my little R12.
    Looking at that picture makes me wonder what is in the back of it.

Jo

There are two virages at pick a part at Kilsyth that would have what you need.

Getting the clips off will be the issue as they are all pretty brittle and you might crack a few before you get a good one.

Are you sure that the heater tap is the problem and no the lever inside the car? Ie can you more the lever on the tap by hand. I only ask as I have broken the lever inside the car on three virages as the heater tap gets stiff but is still movable by hand. The cable is just attached to the end of the platric lever which is weak. I got pretty used to working out what sort of a day it was going to be prior to heading off and adjusting the tap under the bonnet.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnago View Post

Getting the clips off will be the issue as they are all pretty brittle and you might crack a few before you get a good one.

Are you sure that the heater tap is the problem and no the lever inside the car? Ie can you more the lever on the tap by hand. I only ask as I have broken the lever inside the car on three virages as the heater tap gets stiff but is still movable by hand. The cable is just attached to the end of the platric lever which is weak. I got pretty used to working out what sort of a day it was going to be prior to heading off and adjusting the tap under the bonnet.
    That is one hell of a drive King Island to Kilsyth
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Fellow Frogger!

That's what I used to do on the old one; it had the plastic lever too. That lever was fine, the control inside the car was stuffed.

This one has a metal lever. The connection between it and the control inside the car is OK. I took the screw out of the lever (the one on top in that photo) and the lever has broken off from whatever pivot or valve is inside the hose. I'm guessing I'll need a new assembly, just wondering who has one as I haven't seen one like this before.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Looking at that picture makes me wonder what is in the back of it.
    Nothing as exciting as a body, regrettably, but some rather more mundane stuff

30 kg cat litter
    20 kg washing powder
    40 reams of A4
    120 x bog roll
    etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Posted before the crash about sourcing the door trim clips but couldn't get a photo up as apparently there are different types.

I also need a new heater tap assembly, as the valve inside has rusted/broken and can't be moved. The heater is stuck on full - which was just awesome on the 41 C New Year's Eve we had here in Melbourne. This is a completely different setup to what I had on my first 78 Virage.

I took these pics at work on my way home from Costco - the third pic is what $800 worth of shopping does to a Virage's suspension.

We have new heater taps in stock
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Excellent, I might drop by tomorrow.

I think I have some new clips. Will have a look.
    Michael
    now Renault-less

1995 Ford Futura V8
    2011 Ssangyong Korando

previous cars;
    81 Sno White R20TS S1
    72 Flame Orange r12 GL sedan
    78 Azure Blue Virage wagon
    75 ghost gum R16 ts
    74 Track blue r12 wagon
    74 Ghost Gum r12 wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Boulton View Post
    That is one hell of a drive King Island to Kilsyth
    Yeah, King Island to Cheltenham to Kilsyth to Brunswick.

I gave my brother my Virage three years ago, and when I asked him how it was going he told me the starter was stuffed and that he had brought a new one which was also no good (this should have been a clue). So I thought I would pick him up a starter from pick a part and whack it in and just check the rest of the car was going ok.

Get to his house, pull old starter out and insert new one. Connect everything up and hit the key – engine struggles to turn. Look in engine bay and notice no coolant in overflow bottle. Look under oil cap = mayo factory. The conversation went like this:

Me – Mate it’s got no coolant.
    Him – It had coolant the last time I drove it.
    Me – See that white stuff, its water in the oil, you’ve blown the head gasket.
    Him – Oh
    Me – What was it driving like when you last took it for a run?
    Him – I can’t remember it was 6 months ago. Can you fix it?
    Me – Maybe six months ago mate, but after sitting with a sump full of water for 6 months I don’t feel real positive.
    At this point his girlfriend comes out and says :
    Her – Everyone loves this car, they think it’s so cool and heaps of people want to buy it.
    Me – That’s because it was an unbelievable car before he f-----d it.

Top day all round. This what it looked like the day I gave it to him. Not so good now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virage - door trim clips and heater tap needed-virage-sedan-3.jpg  

oldnago, That is the story I guess most people hear. Not good. You should take the car off him I think and get it back to working order.

Yeah thats what I should do. But...with three kids under 4 and not living on the mainland at present, I just cant keep the renault and the fact that even the best virage in australia is not worth anything means that that it made sense to give the car to him.

Belive me, I would love to have the car back, but at the moment I am thinking of giving it to someone from here who can give it the care it deserves.

Caravelle in Melbourne used to stock the trim clips.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Yeah thats what I should do. But...with three kids under 4 and not living on the mainland at present, I just cant keep the renault and the fact that even the best virage in australia is not worth anything means that that it made sense to give the car to him.

Belive me, I would love to have the car back, but at the moment I am thinking of giving it to someone from here who can give it the care it deserves.
    Sounds to me as if you should give your brother to someone else and keep the car.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information