"Performance Car Heroes" by EVO Mag
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default "Performance Car Heroes" by EVO Mag

Away from home, browsing, at the newsagent as one does, I came across this publication with a red Clio Sport YUMPING on the front cover.
    As it isn't dated, this may be old news.
    BUT GEEZ the Poms have a far greater appreciation of Renault products - especially Renaultsport ones!
    Articles on;
    Twingo RS Cup
    Supercinq R5 GT Turbo
    Clio V6 II
    RS Clio trophy
    RS Megane R26R
    RS Megane 250 Cup
    RS Clio 200 Cup
    " Happy birthday ( 20 years ) Clio" - 5 Clio sport models

If Renault Australia got this many hits in one publication they would be over the moon!

Plus the usual Pom smattering of Minis, Porches and Ferraris etc.
    And thankfully no cast iron crude dinosaurs - Ozzie HOS's

Well worth the read!

Advertisement

Steve

Well alright........but it better have some tits in it.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Well alright........but it better have some tits in it.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Sadly Renault Australia still seems to have no direction despite the recent changes in MGt. and the great press the Megane Sport has received.A bit of a rush with advertising and subsequent customer enquiry then nothing and no supply to back up the RS250's success,dealers optioning up RS250's with every after market add on and trying to maximise profit on every car( after the drought they have had you can hardly blame them).

If the RS was appearing every where it would surely flow on to the bread and butter Meganes that they need to sell to establish the brand.

They seem almost incapable of getting press coverage for their cars, perhaps should take a look at how VW seem to have the press in their pocket and get great publicity despite horrific tales of supercharged/turbo charged motors imploding, and expensive computer failures in the DSG set up.

At last Renault have a competitive range, just wish they would back it up here and we might see the type of publicity that Steve K is instancing and the range deserves.!!

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Those in marketing will know of this company, seems Renault is heading in the right direction in the future. I for one am a Renault owner that is excited about their current management/marketing restructure and have no doubt they will do better than before. C/O AdNews;

Droga5 bags Renault account

10 Jan 2011

By Darren Davidson

Renault has awarded its advertising account to Droga5, just months after the ad agency was ditched by Toyota.

The appointment, made without a formal pitch process, was finalised just before the Christmas holiday break after Renault parted company with BMF in late December.

Droga5 was appointed by Renault's newly installed marketing boss Chris Brown, who joined from Mini in early December. Brown held chemistry meetings with a number of ad agencies amid the split with BMF.

Brown told AdNews in October that he would review incumbent agencies BMF and media agency Mitchell Communication Group upon his arrival, with a view to potentially reviewing the accounts.

The French car maker is set to triple its ad spend next year, and take the fight to rivals Honda and Volkswagen.

Brown, who assumed the role of Renault Vehicle Distributors Australia marketing director in early December, told AdNews: "Droga5 struck us as the right cultural fit, showing strategic insight, flawless execution and good thinking. They really fit the bill."

Brown said Droga5's first above-the-line campaign is set to break at the end of February. The agency has been handed an initial three-month contract.

"It's so important there's a good understanding of how we work together from both sides. It's a prudent first step," Brown said.

The move is a timely boost for Droga5 after the agency was ditched by Toyota from its Yaris account in November.

Renault confirmed the appointment in a press release, in which Brown said: "The Renault brand has been in Australia, but we've never had this level of senior management commitment behind it, combined with such an impressive product range, dealer investment and marketing budget. We're here to establish a serious, respected marque. I see Droga5 as a fundamental catalyst behind that change".

Droga5's creative chairman, David Nobay, said: "It would be too convenient to say that stepping aside from Toyota was serendipity, but I have to admit that the creative and strategic opportunities presented by Chris and the Renault brand far exceed anything offered to us as part of a joint roster on Toyota.

"Here we have a real chance to genuinely impact the footprint of a brand at every stage in its contact with the consumer. We couldn't be more excited."
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by pclio View Post
    Sadly Renault Australia still seems to have no direction despite the recent changes in MGt. and the great press the Megane Sport has received.A bit of a rush with advertising and subsequent customer enquiry then nothing and no supply to back up the RS250's success,dealers optioning up RS250's with every after market add on and trying to maximise profit on every car( after the drought they have had you can hardly blame them).

If the RS was appearing every where it would surely flow on to the bread and butter Meganes that they need to sell to establish the brand.

They seem almost incapable of getting press coverage for their cars, perhaps should take a look at how VW seem to have the press in their pocket and get great publicity despite horrific tales of supercharged/turbo charged motors imploding, and expensive computer failures in the DSG set up.

At last Renault have a competitive range, just wish they would back it up here and we might see the type of publicity that Steve K is instancing and the range deserves.!!

Peter.
    I still (for years now) don't understand why Renault in Australia don't (a) market the product sensibly and in the popular arena and (b) back it up properly. Renault continues to throw money away in Australia unless they get their act together and show that they are seriousl I could go back to the Megane range with the "big bum" - a huge seller in Europe, interesting and extremely safe. Marketing in Oz? Juvenile film of big bums. Ridiculous. Did the advertisements work? I doubt it.

I continue to get mixed reports from acquaintances about either delight from the odd "educated" owner of a Sport model and "desperately unhappy and would never buy another" experiences from others. This range of impressions simply doesn't apply to cars from H****ai, which mostly work reliably and are well supported and well advertised/marketted.

My old R8 seems to be more reliable than some new Renaults. Now, if that is my impression, as a continuous Renault owner since 1966, what do non-believers say and think!

Am I about to buy a new Renault. Sadly no.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Sadly as a long term Renault lover I hope you are right ZYKRA but this bit of marketing gobbledegook doesn't allay my fears about what I said,not just marketing but product planning to establish the brand in Aus.
    There is no supply of RS250's, no linkage of the models to lever off their success.Someone needs to get cracking soon, the opportunity will not last and selling what is a performance car bargain at a premium because of no supply is the last thing a brand struggling to survive let alone expand needs.

i look forward to the new agencies campaigns and sincerely hope that they and Renault get their act together ASAP.Not sur that you can capitalise on the momentum of the RS"at the end of feb."

Peter.

ps. just worked ou that I have had 12 Renaults in my ownership from 10's to Laguna diesel and enjoyed them all,just want decent support and to see the bramd prosper.
    Last edited by pclio; 11th January 2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: errors
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Default My 2c worth

Guys,

I wont comment on whether anyone is right or wrong on their opinions of Renault marketing and product strategies.
    However, for my 2c worth I have been dealing directly with Renault for the past few years and I am excited by the recent staff additions. The people I deal with are courteous, respectful, share the passion and frustrations and are keen to help.
    They are fighting a big battle in one of the most competitive product fields you can. Just cos you have good product means nothing to the average Joe that walks into a Toyota or Honda dealer and wouldn't have even considered Renault in their lifetime.
    I have also noticed a huge increase in local press with the main one being the Carsguide that is regularly publishing complimentary stories on Renault. Having a magazine full of Renault cars might work in the UK but how many magazines would they sell in Aus if it doesn't have an HSV or FPR car in it? Commercioal reality guys.

So whilst it is relatively easy to fling mud on a web forum I for one am impressed with the new broom and genuinely excited by the short term future.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers....Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Default Mud sticks

Unfortunately, without MARKETING you don't get SALES and without sales you don't make PROFITS and without profits you FAIL.

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Case in point is a young lady with a big bum 2004 Megane expression 40,000KM.
    Thought about trading in on a new one.
    So the initial telephone "what if" enquiry failed dismally.
    Didn't even get to the next stage of a dealer visit and the heart pumping with DESIRE.
    Why?
    Well you can get a new ASIAN built Megane on the road for around $25,000.
    Quoted $ 22,000 changeover.

Surely you could get that price or at least close to it with a bit of haggling?
    They have valued the trade as scrap!

So the Renault dealers don't want to know about Renault trades, they will palm them off to the wholesalers who don'y have any confidence in the brand to onsell to used car dealers.

That chain problem again.

As a long time Renault fan it hurts to say this,
    But Mr Renault France YOU NEED TO KICK ARSE!

Renault Australia you in turn need to sink the boot into any dealer that has staff that aren't on the ball.
    You have a hell of a lot of them.
    Building brand image takes a lot of hard work, and time.

VW are successful here because they have consistently reinforced the brand image of QUALITY.
    It dosen't matter that DSG's and turbo engines fail.
    Their IMAGE creates DESIRE.

Does that young lady have any desire for a new Renault?
    Nup. All she can probably think of now is getting rid of her liability and fulfilling her desires with a shiny new Mazda 3.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Guys,

I wont comment on whether anyone is right or wrong on their opinions of Renault marketing and product strategies.
    However, for my 2c worth I have been dealing directly with Renault for the past few years and I am excited by the recent staff additions. The people I deal with are courteous, respectful, share the passion and frustrations and are keen to help.

So whilst it is relatively easy to fling mud on a web forum I for one am impressed with the new broom and genuinely excited by the short term future.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers....Paul
    You are instancing just why they have such a big job and how much more effective they are going to have to be,you have confidence because you are dealing directly with them! The average Jo blow doesn't know of the brand and those who have had one seem to fall into two camps, one very loyal and the other burnt off by the experience.

I have spoken to two of their largest dealers in two different states in the last few days and they are frustrated that they have a great car like the Megane sport but not much stock,

Perhaps some sort of loyalty program to help existing owners stay on board to compliment their renewed campaign and ease the shock of the trade-in value.

.Hard job for the agency if they are being given 3 months trial,hardly time to achieve sales although they will be measuring enquiries.
    Good luck to them , would love to see a strong prescence here.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I could go back to the Megane range with the "big bum" - a huge seller in Europe, interesting and extremely safe. Marketing in Oz? Juvenile film of big bums. Ridiculous. Did the advertisements work? I doubt it.
    I understand the Megane II was not as successful as was hoped, particularly in Germany.

The "Big Bum" advert was run in Europe as well, however the Groove Armada "I see you baby" song was not used in Australia as Ford had purchased the rights to it. We got Sir Mixalot - "Baby got back" instead.

I feel the Megane III will not appeal to existing Megane II owners generally. It may bring new folks in however, as it does seem to be good value for money.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

All seems to be continuing in the normal manner, which is wonderful for those of us who buy secondhand!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    I understand the Megane II was not as successful as was hoped, particularly in Germany.

It seemed to sell quite well in Holland - the SWMBO had one as a company car, and really liked it.

If you think Renault Oz are doing bad, you should see them over here in NZ. Practically invisible - I read somewhere that in the first half of 2010 they shifted 8 units..... When we were looking around for a new car a couple of years ago, we couldn't find anything, except some second hand 225 Sports, and the odd Laguna - most of which were s/h imports from Singapore or Japan. Oh, I did see a s/h Clio V6. No new diesels either, which is just daft, especially considering how good the diesels are.

In the end we got a Fiat Bravo JTD - Fiat / Alfa seem to do a reasonable job here, as do Citroen and Peugeot, and all sell a reasonable percentage of diesels. Plus, at least you can get a manual Fiat or Alfa - the others are almost exclusively auto (and the missus refuses to buy an auto!).

I'm sure if I rolled up to the Renault dealer in the A310, they'd not have a clue what it was.

Fellow Frogger!

I actually did turn up at aRenault dealer many years ago with an A310.
    They insisted it was a Corvette and I was daft thinking it was a Renault....

Thread Information