Fuego roof question...
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Fuego roof question...

I've never had the need to take a headlining out on a Fuego so I was hoping someone that has can help.

Does the Fuego have a strengthening beam across the roof?

I'm not talking about a pissy little 'bow' to stop the roof from distorting, I'm talking about something substantial that actually adds structural strength.

If someone by some chance has a shell sans headlining around that they could photograph, I would be forever grateful.

Advertisement

Regards,

Richard

No beams at all.
    You could skin the whole roof for a rag top sunroof ala europe, and it would still be almost as strong.
    The surrounds are reinforced all the way around, and the roof itself has a wool? blanket stuck to it but it is entirely free of any supports. Scary eh.

Jo

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego roof question...-roof.jpg  
    Last edited by jo proffi; 9th January 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    No beams at all.
    You could skin the whole roof for a rag top sunroof ala europe, and it would still be almost as strong.
    The surrounds are reinforced all the way around, and the roof itself has a wool? blanket stuck to it but it is entirely free of any supports. Scary eh.

Jo
    I kinda thought that might be the case.

Just thinking about options for a sunroof.

I always thought sunroofs were crap until I had one. It's one of the few things on the BMW I really miss. I really loved having the roof open on a nice warm night.

Chris Cav had a Fuego with a factory steel roof that was kinda of interest, but that took a bit of headroom and I occasionally rub the headlining as it is.

I was a passenger in a freinds Alfa GTV that had a Webasto? slide back 'spoiler' style sunroof and it actually improved headroom as it was 850mm wide, so my head was actually in the cavity of the glass which is at the same height as the roof steel.

It looked OEM neat both inside and out and had a roll out sun screen so you stil got the breeze without the cancer if required. The same size would fit in a Fuego (but would take up a bit of roof area).

Looks like this:

Administrator

Thanks for the pic Jo, you could put a bloody Moon Roof in there

The external roofs, like you pictured take up the least head room and are popular as they cost heaps less and are easier to install.
    I once visited the sunroof showroom, and by far the most 'fuego' one was the big canvas one like on a 2cv. It was the cheapest too, about $1500 from memory.
    The posh ones were like $5k+ for a tilt/slide internal, but the head room is a bit too low with an internal.

Jo

Thread Information