Laguna v6, Towing capabilities / fuel consumption.
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Laguna v6, Towing capabilities / fuel consumption.

Hi guys, just wondering for those who own a Laguna V6 how they tow?

I'd want to tow a car trailer from time to time to move my (little) renaults around.

Also, what is consumption like, and comparison between the manual and auto. (would prefer a manual)

Star rating?

Advertisement

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

You'll be lucky to find a phase one manual V6, none were imported officially. I'm assuming you are talking about a phase one...

Dad has towed a glider trailer with his, and also a large box trailer. We found that with the box trailer, the wind resistance was significant and with cruise control occasionally it would hunt between gears - was easier to leave it in 3rd. The car is quiet enough for this not to be an intrusion.

Can't remember economy with the trailer. I have travelled twice from Melbourne to Adelaide on one tank of fuel (in perfect weather), you can get slightly less that 8.0l/100km on the open road with cruise control (sticking to speed limits)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

You saw how big a trailer I sometimes strapped onto my Lag 1, and I wasnt afraid to load it up.

The car was perfectly composed, although I wasnt winning any races!!

Biggest worry on any Reno autobox thats not Japanese is the stress...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I wouldn't tow anything big .... I bet if you check it's only allowed to tow tiny, tiny weights. eg: 75kg on the towball and 1000kgs all up. Your towball weight will be the issue most likely.

I have no doubt the V6 manual would pull it fine. I'd expect closer to 18->20L/100kms though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I wouldn't tow anything big .... I bet if you check it's only allowed to tow tiny, tiny weights. eg: 75kg on the towball and 1000kgs all up. Your towball weight will be the issue most likely.

I have no doubt the V6 manual would pull it fine. I'd expect closer to 18->20L/100kms though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    What is it with modern cars these days, giving such a useless hitch weight that you'd be lucky to tow a dog trailer around.

Thanks guys, I have no idea what the max towball weight on the Lag is.

Maybe I can put a Hillman Reece on it?? No idea.

Not many other options left in the Renault world unfortunately, the Renault vans are out of my price range, and a little impractical for a 2+2 family anyway.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

COL

Hi All

I have a Laguna V6 Series 1. According to the owners manual it can tow 690Kg unbraked and 1200Kg braked.

I have towed a tamdem hire trailer with my A110 on it and also with R16 without to many issues, so i'm guessing i'm getting close to the maximum allowed towing weight.

I get according to the indash readout 11 to 12 L/100Km for fuel consumption when towing.

I usually take it easy up hills cause we all know that the autos in these car are a little week. I have found from past experience that it is easy to over heat the transmission fluid
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    What is it with modern cars these days, giving such a useless hitch weight that you'd be lucky to tow a dog trailer around.

Thanks guys, I have no idea what the max towball weight on the Lag is.

Maybe I can put a Hillman Reece on it?? No idea.

Not many other options left in the Renault world unfortunately, the Renault vans are out of my price range, and a little impractical for a 2+2 family anyway.

David.
    You are asking too much of the car.
    Renaults are smallish cars, and cars that tow trailers with other cars on them need to be big.
    Like a commodore v6 minimum, idealy something bigger, like a small truck or big 4x4.
    When was the last tow truck you saw that was a v6 auto.

When you tow and encounter a hill, you send the temps way out of the range of regular driving, and if its an auto thats already a bit stressed with age, you risk cooking the gearbox oil and promoting early failure.
    It is not unusual for me to have the fuego in third gear up a hill at full throtle for maybe 30 seconds, and the temp gauge does a little hickup before the thermo fans kick in. You would never go full throtle in 3rg gear for 30 seconds in a fuego if you were not towing.
    When I get to the top of the hill, there is a bundle of new smells you never normal get unless racing, mainly from the clutch and anything in close proximity to the red hot exhaust.

My local tow company charge $70 for local cashies.
    Put into perspective, thats less than it costs me to hire a trailer.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi All

I have a Laguna V6 Series 1. According to the owners manual it can tow 690Kg unbraked and 1200Kg braked.

I have towed a tamdem hire trailer with my A110 on it and also with R16 without to many issues, so i'm guessing i'm getting close to the maximum allowed towing weight.

I get according to the indash readout 11 to 12 L/100Km for fuel consumption when towing.

I usually take it easy up hills cause we all know that the autos in these car are a little week. I have found from past experience that it is easy to over heat the transmission fluid
    Week or month? I'd be very careful with the transmission, that's for sure.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Week or month? I'd be very careful with the transmission, that's for sure.
    Hi JohnW

You picked up on my typo should be weak.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi All

Your being funny right ??? A lot of rental trailer are close to 1200kgs ....................... EMPTY

I'm happy to tow locally with my passenger sedan (ie: speeds < 60km/h), but would simply borrow a w@nk tank if I needed to tow any distance My father has a twin cab turbo diesel ute with 3ton tow capacity that would be upto this task ............

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I've towed a car trailer with R8 from Syd to Adelaide rtn & Syd to Bris return with my Series II v6 auto - no major probs but my car trailer is light. all the comments made are relevant. It manages but it certainly not ideal. I wouldn't want to drag a hire place dual axle around.
    KB

My father has a twin cab turbo diesel ute with 3ton tow capacity that would be upto this task ............

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Their you go Vivid, take shane up on his very generous offer.

Jo

COL

Your being funny right ??? A lot of rental trailer are close to 1200kgs ....................... EMPTY

I'm happy to tow locally with my passenger sedan (ie: speeds < 60km/h), but would simply borrow a w@nk tank if I needed to tow any distance My father has a twin cab turbo diesel ute with 3ton tow capacity that would be upto this task ............

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane

The hire tndem trailers are around 400Kg here, I have towed them behind my R12 before I got the Laguna.

I've towed the Alpine upto distances of 250Km without issues, I think its all to do with how you drive. the car tows without any problems.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Hi JohnW

You picked up on my typo should be weak.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi All

Well, there is my answer I guess.. but I'm not dismayed, the Laguna is a great car, and yes I'm only looking at the PH1 unless a steal of a car comes along.

I know what you mean about transmissions, because I've cooked my R25s transmission towing one of those beasy car trailers. I've noticed you can get some slightly lighter hire trailers now, but I'd say 1200kg trailer alone easy.

Correct me if I am wrong, but at a glance the figures, 690kg unbraked is more a limit on how much STOP the Lag has, and 1200kg being limits on the drivetrain?

I'm also wondering if this is one of these piddly euro style tow bars I've seen on other renaults, can they not be replaced with bigger bars with more hitch weight available?

I guess the short answer is, yes it will tow but is limited to speed and distance you'd like to do it, and with a lightweight trailer rather than one weighing more than a tonne. I towed a R16 on a 1200kg trailer with a Fuego once (slowly), and from Croydon to Watsonia.. it made it..just, but I couldn't get the trailer up the drive it was so heavy. I wouldn't do that again, that is for sure, I'm not sure how much clutch was lost that night, but it kept driving for another few years with little trouble. I still have the gearbox.

I think the Lag will suit us being that I don't tow over long distances, and generally are things smaller than a 16. Your also very right Jo, for cars Fuego size and bigger, I'd be reluctant, and I need to find myself a light-weight car trailer, specifically for the R8 / R10 size Renaults.

Am I stupid to even contemplate towing with a manual Lag? I would prefer the manual.

David.