R17TS brake discs
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default R17TS brake discs

Hi Guys,
    I'm thinking of doing a few track days in the 17TS this year and have the opportunity to pick up some fancy brake discs. They are on ebay here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Advertisement

Has anyone had any experience with them? I would assume they'll keep the temp down a bit and perform better under hard braking? I plan to get a full set of front and backs.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

1000+ Posts

Hope thats not them in the photo. Wrong number of bolt holes!

Default Photo

Yes just a generic photo not the real thing.
    Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi G4ME What diametre are these discs? I'm working on an upgrade of my R8 Gordini brakes and current idea is 248mm vented discs from Opel and Golf GTi calipers

Default size

Quote Originally Posted by Tljakes View Post
    Hi G4ME What diametre are these discs? I'm working on an upgrade of my R8 Gordini brakes and current idea is 248mm vented discs from Opel and Golf GTi calipers
    No idea. Try emailing the seller. I'm trying to find out if anyone here in Australia has used/purchased some and whether they make a difference.
    I'd imagine freight from USA to S/Afr would be prohibitive though.

Cheers..>Paul

I dont quite understand how a few slots and holes can make a noticeable improvement to braking, with everything else the same.
    I'm starting to think there is a lot of fashion and urban myth in regards to after market brakes.
    Maybe $3 worth of ag pipe to funnel cool air to the disc rotor would yeild a greater improvement, and would help keep your brake fluid from boiling.

Jo

Default Brakes

Hi Jo,

I tend to agree. I guess my query is how well do the standard G brakes cope with a heavy battering on a track day. My understanding is the holes and grooving provide better cooling capabilities and given I am going to be in the US I can pick these up pretty cheaply and cart them back.

Has anyone had track day experience in a 17TS or G and how well the existing brake set up worked?

Cheers...Paul

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Hi Jo,

Has anyone had track day experience in a 17TS or G and how well the existing brake set up worked?

Cheers...Paul
    In the dim dark past I had a modified R15TS that I used in various events. It didn't have the rear discs of your car but speed and handling I would guess to be similar. At Lakeside, which only has two braking areas, one from 170-80 and the other 170-90, over a 2.4Klm lap, the brakes would be toast inside two laps, even with new fluid and what were supposedly racing pads.

The front discs are simply too small to pull up a 1000Kg body from speed regularly. The rear discs on the R17TS are fine.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Default Discs

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    In the dim dark past I had a modified R15TS that I used in various events. It didn't have the rear discs of your car but speed and handling I would guess to be similar. At Lakeside, which only has two braking areas, one from 170-80 and the other 170-90, over a 2.4Klm lap, the brakes would be toast inside two laps, even with new fluid and what were supposedly racing pads.

The front discs are simply too small to pull up a 1000Kg body from speed regularly. The rear discs on the R17TS are fine.
    Thanks Alan.
    That's the sort of info I'm after. So in summation you probably think it worthwhile me getting a set of these for the front only? It just may help stop the car after a few events?

Thanks...Paul

Slots and holes may help a little, but in reality if you are reasonably serious and it doesn't affect the class you run in, I would be looking to run 15"x6 wheels and 195/50 tyres and then some 270-290mm discs on the front, leaving the rears alone, except for making sure the limiter valve is set well.

I remember spending a couple of hours in a new estate testing the brakes until the adjustment was right.

This modification would of course totally take a rare car away from its current nearish original state. Perhaps just go out and find out what your car is like at the track you are competing on. The brakes on my 15 were certainly up to a good standard for hillclimb use.

I did continue to run the car on the track, just braked a bit earlier and not as hard and was slower by about 1.5 secs. Back then I had 13x 6" wheels and brake improvement costs would have been up there, but seemingly a lot more gear and ability to make things fit out there now.

I found that the starter definately needed the original exhaust shield fitted as it would cook from the heat from the extractors whilst on the track.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Default Discs

Thanks Alan.

Given I am going to the US so I can bring these back I'll buy a set of the fancy front discs at $180 (after all I was quoted $450 a pair here in Aus). Sorry Gerry Harvey but that's just too much price difference.
    I'll upgrade the fluid and also put some cooling duct to the brakes. That should have me covered. I'm not Jim Richards so wont be doing anything too extravagant but I do like the idea of being able to pull up at the end of the straight.
    I also have just fitted a new limiting valve and brake hoses so all good on that front.

Cheers..

Thanks Alan.

Given I am going to the US so I can bring these back I'll buy a set of the fancy front discs at $180 (after all I was quoted $450 a pair here in Aus). Sorry Gerry Harvey but that's just too much price difference.
    I'll upgrade the fluid and also put some cooling duct to the brakes. That should have me covered. I'm not Jim Richards so wont be doing anything too extravagant but I do like the idea of being able to pull up at the end of the straight.
    I also have just fitted a new limiting valve and brake hoses so all good on that front.

Cheers..
    Paul, I was just talking to a friend and customer in central NSW who competes in a few old Renaults, namely a 12 and 17G.
    He's ran the 17G often at Bathurst and can even out brake an SLR 5000 at the bottom of Conrod and says he's never ever had a problem with overheating the brakes.

The R12 rally car used to have a problem in long rally stages, he's actually boiled the brake fluid several times and since he converted it to standard R17 vented discs and R12 SW rear drums has never had a problem. He says he does use special pads which turned out to be standard from the rear of a Lotus Esprite

I'm not convinced you need to spend the money on brake upgrades yet. I think the money might be better spent elsewhere.
    Even the Gipperiches run standard "G" brakes in the Classic Adelaide, just with competition pads.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Default Brakes

mmmm. A day too late. Just bought them.
    Oh well I'll need replacement discs one day anyway.
    I was thinking these discs, better pads, better fluid and maybe some brake ducting and I'll be all sweet.

Camber kit is fitted. Waiting on the injection management next. Bloody hell I'll have to do a driver dynamics course so i can keep the thing on the road.

Cheers...Paul

mmmm. A day too late. Just bought them.
    Oh well I'll need replacement discs one day anyway.
    I was thinking these discs, better pads, better fluid and maybe some brake ducting and I'll be all sweet.

Camber kit is fitted. Waiting on the injection management next. Bloody hell I'll have to do a driver dynamics course so i can keep the thing on the road.

Cheers...Paul
    Have you driven it fast with the camber kit fitted yet? You'll be turning up every second driveway untill your used to them.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

COL

Cheers...Paul
    Hi Paul

What sort of camber kit did you fit.
    Can you please upload some pics
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Motul RBF600 is good high-spec fluid, and reasonably priced at Mick Hone bikes in Box Hill

Default Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEEE View Post
    Motul RBF600 is good high-spec fluid, and reasonably priced at Mick Hone bikes in Box Hill
    Thanks Mikee. I'll load it up when I fit the discs

Cheers...Paul

Default Kit

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Have you driven it fast with the camber kit fitted yet? You'll be turning up every second driveway untill your used to them.
    Just along the freeways. Turns in better.
    It'll be interesting to see when I drive it in proper anger.
    Of course there's no chance of that in Melbourne cost there's so many bloody Corolla's and Camrys in the bloody way

Default Kit

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Paul

What sort of camber kit did you fit.
    Can you please upload some pics
    Hi Col,

Camber Kit isn't available for sale. I called in a huge favour to get a set sepcially made (and it took 2 years).
    I'll try and upload some photos later on.

Cheers...Paul

Just along the freeways. Turns in better.
    It'll be interesting to see when I drive it in proper anger.
    Of course there's no chance of that in Melbourne cost there's so many bloody Corolla's and Camrys in the bloody way
    I want to have a talk to Derek in Belguim about rear camber mods, he has a jig made up for modifying the rear axle, maybe he could do one for us and send it out. From what he says neg camber on the rear makes it even better.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

Default Camber

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I want to have a talk to Derek in Belguim about rear camber mods, he has a jig made up for modifying the rear axle, maybe he could do one for us and send it out. From what he says neg camber on the rear makes it even better.
    Sweeeeettttt

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Paul,

I would be keen to see how you did the front camber on yours- I drilled out the originals on my 17- and got custom plates made that shifted the lower ball joint out enough to get 1 degree negative. I had heard of using the eccentric bolts from a ford falcon- on the lower A arm? may have been just a rumour though. Major benefit of that would have been adjustability....

Rear camber- I thought you had to get the rear axle put in a (BIG) press and bent to suit?- Dave C? can you elaborate further?

Cheers Ben

COL

Default Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Renault17 View Post
    Hi Paul,

I would be keen to see how you did the front camber on yours- I drilled out the originals on my 17- and got custom plates made that shifted the lower ball joint out enough to get 1 degree negative.

Cheers Ben
    Hi Ben can you post a few pics of what you did on your lower wish bones.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Renault17 View Post
    Hi Paul,

I would be keen to see how you did the front camber on yours- I drilled out the originals on my 17- and got custom plates made that shifted the lower ball joint out enough to get 1 degree negative. I had heard of using the eccentric bolts from a ford falcon- on the lower A arm? may have been just a rumour though. Major benefit of that would have been adjustability....

Rear camber- I thought you had to get the rear axle put in a (BIG) press and bent to suit?- Dave C? can you elaborate further?

Cheers Ben
    I'm still learning this too.
    We have a mate in Belgium who rallies a 12G with enough mods to fill a book. There's no historic class over there so he runs in the 1600cc class which is everything regardless of age and the biggest class they have. 2 years ago he won the title so his little 12G isn't real standard and he has a jig to modify the rear axles to what he believes it needs. So far he's been on the ball with everything he's told us.
    I believe he cuts them and welds them somewhere.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

If its of any help, I purchased a rear set of discs for my 72 on ebay. I paid around 26US. When i got them I was surprised with the fit and quality. Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information