Megane 2005 - No gearstick connection
  • Help

Default Megane 2005 - No gearstick connection

2005 Megane Cabriolet. Suddenly the gearstick is disconected. The gearstick moves around with no apparent connection to anything.

Had a look underneath suspecting a rod had fallen off but it looks like it may be actuated by cables.

Does anyone know how this works and whether I get to it from in the cab or remove the exhaust and shield.

The car has just (2 weeks) had a new timing belt fitted by Renault (45,000km but > 5 years) and a new lower engine mount but these items seem to be in a different area.

Advertisement

2 cables - one for the fore aft movement of the stick, one for sideways. Does it feel as if both cables are off?
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    2 cables - one for the fore aft movement of the stick, one for sideways. Does it feel as if both cables are off?
    It should look like this I think (the pic is from a Clio Sport 172).

If it has had work done recently, they may have taken the linkage off to change the mount and not put it back together properly or left it lose?

I think you can drop the drip tray and get a good look at it.

I have taken off the skid pan but to see it I have to either remove the exhaust and the surrounding heat shield or approch it from the cabin side. Feels like nothing is connected to it

The two control cables attach to the levers on the top of the gearbox under and in front of the master cylinder - see if one or both have popped off.

They are plastic press on ball joint style fitting.

I figured out how to extract pages in Preview
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Haakon; 1st January 2011 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    It should look like this I think (the pic is from a Clio Sport 172).

If it has had work done recently, they may have taken the linkage off to change the mount and not put it back together properly or left it lose?

I think you can drop the drip tray and get a good look at it.
    Megane 2 went to a twin cable arrangement - a massive improvement on that old setup!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Megane 2 went to a twin cable arrangement - a massive improvement on that old setup!
    Sorry, when he said Megane cab, I was thinking a soft top phase I.

2005 would make it a CC.

Had a good look and its definately not at the gearbox end. Will now start dismantling the centre console plastics and move the exhaust aside so I can get to it. Ouch!!!

These instructions may help, hope they aren't too late.

(Are we ever going to get back the old download limits? 100K for a PDF file is insane...)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Have the assembly out. Thanks for all the assistance the instructions were terrific. The gear lever actuates the gears selection with two cables conected at the ends with ball joints. To get the assembly out requires removal of all the centre console plastics (I also took out the passenger seat) to get to the bolts from the top and then disconnecting the exhaust (looks like its made from stainless???) and moving it and the heat shield aside to pull out the assembly from underneath.

Attached are photos of the failure. The ball joints use an insertable seat that locks it all together. One of the locking tabs has broken. The next issue is whether this failed due to wear or just some issue with the insertable seat. I could probably get another seat from a wrecker but it may just do the same thing again and that is hours of dismantling and reassembling to repeat. Alternatively I guess this whole assembly wont be cheap and it would be dissapointing to spend hundreds when a few cents may fix it.

What do you think???

Either way it will be tuesday before I can get any components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Megane 2005 - No gearstick connection-img_6080s.jpg   Megane 2005 - No gearstick connection-img_6081s.jpg  

I'd go for the wrecker option initially - however, a call to Renault might be worth it, just to see if you can get the component you need.

If you find a wrecked Megane II hatch, can you let me know? Seeking a rear seatbelt buckle, drivers side...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Picked up a gearstick assembly from a wrecker and fitted yesterday so its all going again.

A messy job but not particularily difficult although time consuming.

The original part was just under $400 but it is not in stock at Renault and would have to be imported. The wrecker was $220 for a April 2007 item. The part IDs were different and the offending clips a different colour but it fitted fine.

Thanks from all the help from members...just great!

Tadpole

Hi all I can't seem to get the guide to download for some reason. Can someone please send to me.or report the attachment

Thread Information