slow fuego windows (easy fix)
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default slow fuego windows (easy fix)

You have to love the fuego, where you need to service the power windows to keep them going.
    My windows got to the terminal speed of nothingness, at least on the way up so it was time to do the absolute minimum to remedy this issue.
    The reason I was keen to find an easy fix, is all the extra insulation I put into this car makes it a little harder to chase down wires and connectors, and pulling the door linings off is always a slightly involved task. That and the heat of mid day has made me lazy.
    If any one wants to speed their windows up a bit, the following is a good place to start.......

So, the bold print 'up down' picture on the sticker indicated that the big white fuse was the fuse for the windows and pulling it out proved this to be the case.
    I checked the end of the fuse for burns and to make sure it made a good contact with the fuse holder, then reinserted it with lots-o-vaso.
    Then (whilst I wound the windows up) I started measuring voltage across the fuse and all the other connections and solder joints that were on the fuse panel.
    I found the voltage dropped at the relay, so replaced that and had an immediate improvement in window speed.
    Removed and cleaned all the big connectors on the fuse panel with vaso and a pixster tooth pick and reconnected them.
    Next I gave the door switches a blow out with air, some new vaso in the internals and the connectors cleaned. This made a noticeable improvement too.

Advertisement

At the end of maybe an hour's effort, the windows are now useable again.
    They are still not real fast of course, but at least they actually go up on their own and I can justify cleaning all the grubby hand marks off the glass.

Jo

Hi Jo,
    Sometimes a squirt of silicon spray down the runners can make the glass slide easier. This helped my Scenic after I fixed the electric mechanism which broke because the glass was getting tight in the runners. Try to avoid getting silicon spray on the paint because it makes respraying difficult.
    Regards Bob G

Fellow Frogger!

Default slow windows

G/day Jo
    I find with the windows in my ford 1 tonner that if i spray some silicone lube into the tracks it makes the world of difference
    Cheers peter.

Yes the silicon in the tracks works up until a point on the fuego.

The problem my car has is the dust around here.

If I was to spray more silicon down the hole, it would slide great for a few days, then it would bind up tight and start to shudder.
    I figure all I'm doing each time is moving dirt around.

This thread is the "easy fix" one, but that is a little quicker than the hard (proper) fix, which is to remove the window rubbers and mechanism and fully clean them with the pressure cleaner, re-lube the metal scissor part and the runners, then fit the rubbers dry (sans lube) and try and keep them as clean as possible.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Default sticky windows

Happy newyear all.
    G/day JO, The other old trick was to use dry grafite powder in the tracks works just as well but a bit messier
    Cheers Peter.

How many volts are eventually "missing " at the motor though? I was always of the assumption that it was simply old/inadequate wiring, and a separate power supply to the fuse/relay would solve matters.

Have the slow windows on the R21 as well, and dealing with it is on the to-do list!

The R25 never suffered though (and the Lag had very quick windows!)
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    How many volts are eventually "missing " at the motor though? I was always of the assumption that it was simply old/inadequate wiring, and a separate power supply to the fuse/relay would solve matters.

Have the slow windows on the R21 as well, and dealing with it is on the to-do list!

The R25 never suffered though (and the Lag had very quick windows!)
    I dont know, I just got as far as the fuse panel this time around.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Jo,

are those relays "off the shelf" units ? ie Narva equivalents, or special Reno ones ?

thansk,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Jo,

are those relays "off the shelf" units ? ie Narva equivalents, or special Reno ones ?

thansk,
    Bob
    Dunno??
    I just grabbed it from a spare board I had on the shelf.

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

Thanks Jo,

thought you might know off the cuff.

Any of these look familiar ? http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/relays

cheers,
    Bob

Administrator

Bit of a thread resurrection here.

I have a favor to ask of someone with a Fuego that has decent power window speed.

Could someone please tell me how long it takes for the drivers window to get up with the car running.

I should've timed it beforehand so I could measure any before and after improvement.

I've taken the door trims off to fit speakers so I thought I'd spend a bit of time sorting out the power windows which are not as slow as some, but not exactly 'new car fast'

I first ran a direct clip on cable from the battery to the output side of the power window fuse to see if there was any difference in speed due to voltage loss.

I have a feeling that just taking the fuse out and re-inserting it may have given it a better contact because although the jumper cable made little difference, the windows seemed to be faster even with the fuse back in.

I then had a look at the mechanism.

It was obvious that the door trim was as it left the factory. It hasn't been off in 27 years...

The first thing I found was that 3 of the bolts that hold the mechanism in were loose. One very loose.

Tightening them solved the clunk the window has had every time you drop the window down from the fully up position.

I greased all the slides and scissor mechanism and lubed the runners.

I was going to hook up some relays in the door and run a separate large gauge power feed but the way it is wired up may prevent that, the switch doesn't just direct a power supply to the motor, it directs a + and - which changes depending on the position of the switch.

I may be able to do it but I will wait till I check out the voltage the motor is getting.

The other oddity is that the wind regulator appears to bottom out on the bottom of the door with a clunk.

Is there any way to fix that? maybe a simple bump stop?

Is there a stopper somewhere that has come off?

UFO

I noticed a remarkable increase in window speed in the CX - when I replaced the alternator.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Administrator

This is the windows as the are following a lube and contact clean.

Sorry for the crap video...

Is that about as fast as they will get?

Holy crap - that's amazing Richard!!! I think all us past and present Fuego owners can safely say that is as fast as they will ever go!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Default Good speed!!

I'd say the same, as mine crawls at the moment

Maybe time to get of my ass and fix it too!!

That speed is comparable to the internals fix I did on my sons Fuego drivers door where I put in an earlier (1984) mechanism and its motor into a 1986 power steering model.

Regards

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Holy crap - that's amazing Richard!!! I think all us past and present Fuego owners can safely say that is as fast as they will ever go!
    Yep, thats as good as it gets.

Jo

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I noticed a remarkable increase in window speed in the CX - when I replaced the alternator.
    604 was the same when i fixed the terminals and played with the regulator to get 14.2 volts measured at the battery when fully charged

that and lubing everything up last time i had all the doors apart
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Administrator

Just thought I'd make a quick update to this thread.

While testing the power windows last week, one switch packed it in so I decided to replace the lot.

After a quick search, I found these illuminated switches on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Although they had 5 pins and the Fuego had 4 I purchased 3 of them and thought I'd just suck it and see.

They arrived today and are exactly the same size as the Fuego switch

The plug is the same design and fits straight in.

The missing terminal in the Fuego switch is one in from the top and it looks like there is supposed to be a terminal.

A quick check of the two switches found that the extra pin on the new switch is just a second earth (for the down cycle of the window)

The Renault switch must have an internal connector so one earth does both.

Anyway, I now have nice new illuminated power window switches....

Just one problem now. They are red...The ad said illuminated so I assumed they would just be white...bugger.

1000+ Posts

Icon3 Illuminating!!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Just thought I'd make a quick update to this thread.

While testing the power windows last week, one switch packed it in so I decided to replace the lot.

After a quick search, I found these illuminated switches on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Although they had 5 pins and the Fuego had 4 I purchased 3 of them and thought I'd just suck it and see.

They arrived today and are exactly the same size as the Fuego switch

The plug is the same design and fits straight in.

The missing terminal in the Fuego switch is one in from the top and it looks like there is supposed to be a terminal.

A quick check of the two switches found that the extra pin on the new switch is just a second earth (for the down cycle of the window)

The Renault switch must have an internal connector so one earth does both.

Anyway, I now have nice new illuminated power window switches....

Just one problem now. They are red...The ad said illuminated so I assumed they would just be white...bugger.
    But, but do they speed up the windows !!

ken

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

ken
    can't have them too fast in a fwaygo, might upset the car itself
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Alternatives.....

G'day Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    ........are exactly the same size as the Fuego switch The plug is the same design and fits straight in............
    sort of suggests that there is some sort of "standard fitting" happening here - bit like the "good old days" when a few companies made all the electrical bits and you could get stuff pretty well from wherever you fancied and it went in to the old hole.

The stylists took away this option for external fittings years ago, but, I wonder how many other places we can source replacement switches and other minor electrical fixtures from ? Be really handy to just rock up to a major dealer and get stuff off the shelf......

cheers,
    Bob

Just purchased the same power window switches. Both my windows have just about stopped so I think I'll give this a try

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Just purchased the same power window switches. Both my windows have just about stopped so I think I'll give this a try
    Just remember to run the extra earth.

I inserted a female spade terminal in the plug where the missing plug was and soldered a jumper from pin 2 to the new terminal.

Let me know if you can't work it out and I'll take some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

ken
    Bump.....
    well, did they????

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Bump.....
    well, did they????

Jo
    No, no perceived difference between how they are in the video.

With the engine running they are almost bordering on quick. I'm half expecting the motor to have a meltdown now...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information