Dauphine rear suspension
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Dauphine rear suspension

I'm experiencing a problem with my left rear wheel showing a 2cm toe-in,would this be due to a bent axle tube or something else? The lh wheel makes a slight rubbing noise when cornering and as well the wheel itself shows rust stains between the rim and wheel centre. Are these connected somehow? The result of this problem is a badly worn Michelin tyre on the outer third of the tread.Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by chris hartwell View Post
    I'm experiencing a problem with my left rear wheel showing a 2cm toe-in,would this be due to a bent axle tube or something else? The lh wheel makes a slight rubbing noise when cornering and as well the wheel itself shows rust stains between the rim and wheel centre. Are these connected somehow? The result of this problem is a badly worn Michelin tyre on the outer third of the tread.Any help would be appreciated.
    I have two questions.

1. Is it a star wheel car or a later three-stud wheel car?

2. Does the opposite side have 2 cm toe-out? It could be that the whole transmission is slightly off-set.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chris hartwell View Post
    Hi
    I would say look for a bent axle tube, if only that wheel is wearing more that the others. However you can check the alignment yourself if you have some common sense and paitence.
    Also get someone to drive the car and you drive behind and look at it on a straight level stretch. You can see how the car and the wheels line up.
    jaahn

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I used to have this problem with 750s and Dauphines way back...

The rollers in the ball hinge get worn out. Renault introduced the angled torque arms from the R8's onwards to stop this high load wear problem.

Easy to fix with new bearings and I'd recommend adding the torque arms as well.

Thread Information