GT1749 Turbo on R8G
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default GT1749 Turbo on R8G

Any idea's if this turbo will be up to the job on a 1397cc engine?
    As far as I can gather the turbo spins up very quickly so it should virtually illiminate turbo lagg. Not sure if it would however run out of breath at high rpm's. looking at peak rpm's in the 6000 to 6500 range.
    Heard there is also issues with the vanes when used on a petrol engine?

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tljakes View Post
    As far as I can gather the turbo spins up very quickly so it should virtually illiminate turbo lagg. Not sure if it would however run out of breath at high rpm's. looking at peak rpm's in the 6000 to 6500 range.
    I'd try and choose a turbo similar in trim to the R5 turbo.

Are you using carby's or are you going to go EFI? Carby's are a comprmise (you could even use the same carby if you were trying to cut costs) but apparenly a blow through setup can be made to still work quite efficently if the carbs are setup for it (the Lotus Esprit Turbo an twin side draught Delortos quite effectively in a blow through configuration).

Also, don't confuse turbo lag with boost threshold.

The general rule is to try and choose a turbo that reaches it's boost threshold at around 1/3 of redline (2000 rpm in your case).

This will mean that it produces useable boost from around 2200 rpm and produces more power up top.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Mistareno,

I'm doing blowthrough through the Weber 40DCOE carby's. As the turbo comes from a TDI golf it should deliver boost from around 2000 - 2500rpm. Just not sure if it won't run out of breath from 5000rpm or perhaps create too much heat on the inlet air.
    I do however have a fairly big intercooler 400mm x 900mm x 50mm.

What does worry me is that a lot of talk around the web says the Vanes will disintegrate from higher exhaust temps on the gas engines.

General wisdom is that VNTs won't work for very long on a petrol engine. Evidence of this is that Porsche are currently the only ones that have fitted one to a petrol. You'd also need to rig up a control system which is non trivial.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Fellow Frogger!

Got the Turbo for free so It's worth a try. If vanes fail I'll add an external wastegate

Administrator

Hi Mistareno,

I'm doing blowthrough through the Weber 40DCOE carby's. As the turbo comes from a TDI golf it should deliver boost from around 2000 - 2500rpm. Just not sure if it won't run out of breath from 5000rpm or perhaps create too much heat on the inlet air.
    I do however have a fairly big intercooler 400mm x 900mm x 50mm.

What does worry me is that a lot of talk around the web says the Vanes will disintegrate from higher exhaust temps on the gas engines.
    What engine capacity is the TDI? If it is a 2 Lt diesel it might work ok, but if it's from a 1.6 I would image it would be well out of it's comfort zone by 5000 rpm.

Does it have the trim/specs printed on the turbo?

The carbs will have to be modified, but I assume you know that bit already.

Where are you putting the intercooler? I assume it will have good airflow, but I have heard issues with the R8 having poor airflow and hence having front mount radiators fitted.

You could run a Water to Air unit and fit a radiator for it at the front.

It will make for a shorter intake path which should reduce lag and they generally have better internal flow so less pressure is lost through the core.

A Subaru Legacy Chargecooler could possibly work but there are plenty of 'off the shelf' units available too.

You could run water/meth injection to knock down the EGT and increase the knock tolerance. There is plenty of info on WI online, alot positive, some negative. It has been used on forced induction engines for a very long time, particuarly during WWII in things such as the Mustang where it enable the power to almost double if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    You could run water/meth injection to knock down the EGT and increase the knock tolerance. There is plenty of info on WI online, alot positive, some negative. It has been used on forced induction engines for a very long time, particuarly during WWII in things such as the Mustang where it enable the power to almost double if memory serves.
    Then you have to get that power through the transmission......

I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Best of luck.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Then you have to get that power through the transmission......
    Details, details.....

Fellow Frogger!

Turbo is from the 1,9TDi carbs already modified for the boost. Intercool will fit in nicely under the rear lid with the vents big enough to pull enough air through the cooler.

Radiator is from a golf and already fitted in front. Gearbox is being upgraded with 16ts internals and diff. Wheels are 14" also from the R16 with 215/65/14 Pirelli 6000's at the rear. Will however have to upgrade the driveshafts later on as they are still the standard units.

Will upgrade the front brakes also to golf calipers and opel discs to stop the little Renault.

Administrator

Turbo is from the 1,9TDi carbs already modified for the boost. Intercool will fit in nicely under the rear lid with the vents big enough to pull enough air through the cooler.

Radiator is from a golf and already fitted in front. Gearbox is being upgraded with 16ts internals and diff. Wheels are 14" also from the R16 with 215/65/14 Pirelli 6000's at the rear. Will however have to upgrade the driveshafts later on as they are still the standard units.

Will upgrade the front brakes also to golf calipers and opel discs to stop the little Renault.
    Sounds great.

Is the IC sitting flat over the motor or in the back where the radiator normally lives?

It'd be great to see some pics when it's all done.

Fellow Frogger!

Jip IC will also have two small fans pulling air through the vents. Will do complete write-up as soon as I'm done. I must say Thanks to Frans as well as he gave me tons of advice already.

Thread Information