Door lock tell-tales
  • Help
    bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Door lock tell-tales

G'day,

investigating sluggish door lock solenoid on the fug I discover that the tell-tale clear plastic thingy 7700689733 is in two bits, busted at the bottom of the bit where it sits at the top of the trim - enough left to poke back into the hole and stay there though.

Question is, has anyone ever successfully stuck one of these back together ?

Looks to be enough room to push a little bit of copper wire longways into in it with the soldering iron - break doesn't look "clean" like someone in the dark past has tried to glue it.....

Advertisement

cheers,
    Bob

BTW - sluggish operation looks to be down to a pair of bullet connectors

I think Caravelle should have new ones still.
    I tried gluing without much success.
    Michael
    now Renault-less

1995 Ford Futura V8
    2011 Ssangyong Korando

previous cars;
    81 Sno White R20TS S1
    72 Flame Orange r12 GL sedan
    78 Azure Blue Virage wagon
    75 ghost gum R16 ts
    74 Track blue r12 wagon
    74 Ghost Gum r12 wagon

Administrator

Yeah also pretty sure caravelle still has them.

I was going to replace mine with a super bright LED so you can see them at night.

I'll let you know how that goes...

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default maybe fixed

G'day,

pushed some light gauge copper wire across the break in four places, seems nice and solid and went back OK. Used a drill to keep it all nice and straight, little soldering iron for heat source.

Left out the rubber ring, seems to be bugger all room to get it in - wonder if that's how they get broken ? maybe the door card fixes 'em ?

Main thing is it all works

cheers,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Door lock tell-tales-7700689733.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Default Hope it holds!

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

pushed some light gauge copper wire across the break in four places, seems nice and solid and went back OK. Used a drill to keep it all nice and straight, little soldering iron for heat source.

Left out the rubber ring, seems to be bugger all room to get it in - wonder if that's how they get broken ? maybe the door card fixes 'em ?

Main thing is it all works

cheers,
    Bob
    Good try Bob

At one stage I bought the last of Caravelles new ones, but they have probably sourced more as they continue to age from the effects of sunlight and get brittle. Removing them or doing repairs where you take off the inner door trim seems to wreck most.

I wondered if an aluminium replacement could be drilled and turned up, then either filed or milled on either side so you can see the tell tale inner red rod (or even small holes drilled so you can see it is locked - unlocked) though when you think about it, does it matter if you can't see the tell tale rod?

I have also looked for a suitable clear biro (pen) barrell that could be adapted, but so far haven't found one - must be something out there that we can use.

Original Renault genuine spare part replacement # was 77 00 689 733 and cost me $5.49 some years back. I guess new ones would be much dearer now!!

Ken

The r20 ones I bought were about $10 each. Cheep as I think.
    You guys are lucky, you only have 2 to replace!!!
    Michael
    now Renault-less

1995 Ford Futura V8
    2011 Ssangyong Korando

previous cars;
    81 Sno White R20TS S1
    72 Flame Orange r12 GL sedan
    78 Azure Blue Virage wagon
    75 ghost gum R16 ts
    74 Track blue r12 wagon
    74 Ghost Gum r12 wagon

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

fixed a laptop hinge this same way and it's still holding, reckon it would be tougher than a new one.

No reason it couldn't be a simple clear tube, doesn't have to be closed at the top - just looks nicer. Would need to be nice and rounded though so it doesn't catch on clothes or whatever. Biro case could be a goer, could even be made closed maybe with some soldering iron surgery. Probably not worth the effort though if new ones are $10, but only just !

cheers,
    Bob

Thread Information