Kermit comes home
  • Help

Default Kermit comes home

It's been a few years since Kermit the (lime green 4CV) Targa Tasmania terror has been living in Sydney. Now He'll be coming back to his happy hunting grounds during January. For those that knew him will recall his Targa adventures, mishaps and series of continual developments.

Advertisement

David & Steve, I'll be raiding your spares cupboard if anything is left, please get in touch.
    Last edited by Colin Rose; 26th December 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Happy snaps please !! (photo's)
    cheers,

John

Default Kermit

I have no idea how to download photos from an IMac. I could email photos to those more tech savvi for posting.

You could of course go to the Targa Tasmania site and listen to an interview and footage from his adventures.

Kermit is quite famous in French and UK press as he has been the only 4CV to complete a 2300km, 6 day rally. The 4CV in the early 50's won class honours in the Monte Carlo Rally which was only 600KM's.

Kermit has been fitted with a 4 speed R10S gearbox, disc brakes, R110 spec 905cc fully balanced and lightened flywheel.

Not to mention Winner Class Le Mans 1951 :-)

cheers,

John

Of course!

4CV's also had quite a lot of fun in Aussie playing with racing A30's etc in the 50's and 60's.
    At only 560kg's kerb weight the tiny motor of 750/850cc was quite up to the job. In fact, the motor was still being produced in the 80's to power all manner of things including industrial
    lawn mowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post
    It's been a few years since Kermit the (lime green 4CV) Targa Tasmania terror has been living in Sydney. Now He'll be coming back to his happy hunting grounds during January. For those that knew him will recall his Targa adventures, mishaps and series of continual developments.

David & Steve, I'll be raiding your spares cupboard if anything is left, please get in touch.
    So Kermits coming home, wonder if he still knows his way around Tassie?
    Good on you Colin, so he'll be back annoying all those Porsche's and 4wd rice burners again will he?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Does anyone know the colour of Jmans model or for that matter the real thing. I have photo of the real thing taken when I went to the Renault Historical Collection.

Hi David,

I doubt if I can enter the 2011 Targa Tasmania as I don't know what condition Kermit will be in after a hectic Syndey adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Does anyone know the colour of Jmans model or for that matter the real thing. I have photo of the real thing taken when I went to the Renault Historical Collection.
    Wow ! That looks fantastic ! Quite a different colour to my model, I have no idea what the colours are either. Has Simon surfaced yet ? He'd know
    cheers,

John

That is fantastic, do you have any other photos?
    I'd be interested to know the specs of this little beast.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    That is fantastic, do you have any other photos?
    I'd be interested to know the specs of this little beast.

David.
    It's gorgeous isn't it. I had an old friend in Adelaide with a 4CV exactly that colour in the 1960s, and reckoned it was a perfect colour long before I found out about the Le Mans cars and all that stuff.

The silver wheels and back brake drum flanges just improve it too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There are some interesting little mods to that car - front wiskers (grille) cut down to accomodate the spot lights, fixed rear door windows, front guards cut away at front lower section and rear by the front doors. Like David said, it would be interesting to know what else is modified on it.
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

I took this photo of the seats. It was as close as I could get. It was supposed to be the car that won its class at Le Mans in 1951. Interestingly the 4 cars that actually competed never had the guards cut. Whether this was the actual car or a replica I don't know. They were R1063, there were 2000 kits released and 77 constructed by the factory so as they could be homoloqated. It was for its time mechanically advanced and carefully prepared. Rienforced crankshaft, duralumin connecting rods, high compression pistons, high lift cam, 30mm exhaust valves, 26mm inlet valves, special exhaust manifold, twin barrel 30mm Solex Carb, a number of body parts were in aluminium, doors, bonnet etc. There was also a 5 speed crash gearbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kermit comes home-143small.jpg  

I took this photo of the seats. It was as close as I could get. It was supposed to be the car that won its class at Le Mans in 1951. Interestingly the 4 cars that actually competed never had the guards cut. Whether this was the actual car or a replica I don't know. They were R1063, there were 2000 kits released and 77 constructed by the factory so as they could be homoloqated. It was for its time mechanically advanced and carefully prepared. Rienforced crankshaft, duralumin connecting rods, high compression pistons, high lift cam, 30mm exhaust valves, 26mm inlet valves, special exhaust manifold, twin barrel 30mm Solex Carb, a number of body parts were in aluminium, doors, bonnet etc. There was also a 5 speed crash gearbox.
    That's sensational ! They were serious about shedding some kilos looking at those seats. How ahead of their time were they with those performance mods !! Must have been a lively little beast, I'd love to take it for a blast - so cool !!
    cheers,

John

This wouldn't happen to be the little beast by any chance would it ?

cheers,

John

That's Kermit during the 2006 Targa Tasmania with Iain Watson as my navigator.

Kermit had then a modded 850 motor which was ungraded to 905cc in 2007. A 50 litre fuel cell was also installed in the front and an extra air scoop in the place of the original fuel tank. A Weber twin choke carbie, SS extractors and larger radiator greatly assisted the go department.

R10 discs, R10 sway bar, modified axle tubes with extra internal shaft bearings coupled with pannard rods held the rear end down. Negative camber of the swing axles was achieved by placing spacers between the gearbox mounts and suspension hanger which in effect lowered the whole drive train and motor.

Oh, a 4 speed Dauphine Gordini gearbox instead of the original 3 speed.
    Last edited by Colin Rose; 30th December 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rose View Post

That's Kermit during the 2006 Targa Tasmania with Iain Watson as my navigator.

Kermit had then a modded 850 motor which was ungraded to 905cc in 2007. A 50 litre fuel cell was also installed in the front and an extra air scoop in the place of the original fuel tank. A Weber twin choke carbie, SS extractors and larger radiator greatly assisted the go department.

R10 discs, R10 sway bar, modified axle tubes with extra internal shaft bearings coupled with pannard rods held the rear end down. Negative camber of the swing axles was achieved by placing spacers between the gearbox mounts and suspension hanger which in effect lowered the whole drive train and motor.

Oh, a 4 speed Dauphine Gordini gearbox instead of the original 3 speed.
    Pannard rods ? How was that done ?
    cheers,

John

They are pannard rods off a Ford Falcon and used as control (trailing) links to prevent axle tube for and aft movement.

Brackets were welded between the coil spring and shocker mounts on the axle tubes. The trailing link was fixed to the chassis near the bumper dumb irons. Rubber bushes took any shock and allowed for articulation. 4CV's were renown for rear wheel steering if there was play in the trunions. This mod overcame this problem and much reduced the inherent stress in the simple swing axle design.

Thread Information