Alpine A310 4 cylinders
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alpine A310 4 cylinders

Tadpole

Default Alpine A310 4 cylinders

Dear All,

my nickname is JMKZ1 and I am the owner and webmaster of the french website www.A310L4.com

This website is entirely dedicated to the A310 4 cylinders, were you can find 5 press review in english and more particularly 1 test from an Australian magazin dated from 1973 Sports car world.

I recently discovered at least 3 A310 4 cylinders in Australia and especially in Melbourne.

I already identified one of them A310 1600 VF n22117

I would like to identify the 2 others (encosed pictures) to add them.

Any other A310 4 cylinders will be welcome.

Awaiting your answers

Cheers

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmkz1; 25th December 2010 at 04:35 AM.

Merry Christmas

I will let the owner of this one know you're looking next time I see him

Fellow Frogger! Alastair Browne's Avatar

Wow, that yellow one looks rather spiffy, Mikeeee. A bit of Citroen and Alfa Romeo come sout in the design. Doe she belong to the Club down there? can we have some more pics?

Alastair

Fellow Frogger!

Default The first A310 4 cyl in Australia

Hi

I know the Sports Car World article very well, having read it over and over many times and marvelling at these fantastic sports cars.

I already had a Renault and with the stated promise from the Renault importer at the time that these Alpines were definitely on their way to Australia, I waited in vain. In the end I took matters int my own hands and went to France on a mission to find one.
    Luckily I was staying in Albert, and not far away in Amiens, a Renault dealer, Guedet Automobiles, was negotiating on the sale of a new A310 V6 with the 4 cylinder in exchange. The deal had barely been done, and the next day, 2 June 1978, I bought a blue metallise 1976 A310 1600 VF - 3866 QW 80 - in original condition. It was mine!

The next few months were spent driving this wonderful sports car all over Europe, through the alps of Switzerland and the autobahns of Germany. I covered about 27,000 KM!
    This was at the same time as Alpine smashed the dominance of the Porches at Le Mans, so you can imagine the reaction when this "F" marked car flew past each and every Porsche at every opportunity..

Back in Australia I spent a lot of time with the engineering of conversion to right hand drive, gaining homologation and registering "ALPEEN" - the first ever Alpine registered in Australia in January 1982.
    Chassis No. 21344 Engine No. 399

So as far as I know, there are only four Alpine A310 4 cyls. in Australia - all in Melbourne - 3 1600 VF and 1 1600VE - the yellow one.

Will send some photos soon.

Steve K

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Hi

.... I bought a blue metallise 1976 A310 1600 VF - 3866 QW 80
    ....Chassis No. 21344 Engine No. 399

Steve K
    Hi Steve,

sorry, this is not a 1976 model but a 1974 one (even being built in 1973).
    What is its carosserie-no ? (should be around 1290)

Cheers

Thomas (proud owner of an 1600VE)

Fellow Frogger!

Default A310 4 cylinder

Hi Thomas

You're 100% correct.

Mine is a 1973 build and first registered 28.11.73

Sorry for the error.

cheers

Steve

Greetings JMKZ1

I'm from New Zealand and have just acquired a 1973 Alpine Renault A310 VF 1600 Serial No. 21008. I've been to your amazing web site. Truly one of the most outstanding resources for the A310 1600 '4 Cylinder' I've ever come across. I wish my French was better. Cheers, John.

Ove

Hi John,

would you please post its carosserie-no and the color-code? Are the engine (844-34) and the gearbox (365-20) still original ?

Cheers

Thomas

1000+ Posts

Greetings JMKZ1

Welcome to the sometimes frustrating but wonderful world of ALPINE ownership,i am the proud owner of a A314/4 1600 VE the yellow one from earlier in this thread,
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Fellow Frogger!

Number6 you are more than welcome to become a member of CARSNZ (club alpine renault sport NZ) membership costs $0, yes, drop me a PM. There is a bit of history with your car (and quite a few bits which some of us gave to Don before he passed away.
    You have a massive job in front of you. Good luck. I can translate french car, in particular Alpine and have oodles of reesources for you to access. I hope you have planned to remove the body shell from the chassis, it needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by jmkz1 View Post

Green Alpeen...fantastic...I want it...I'll even pump up the tyres!
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

You should be proud. That is one nice A310 and the colour is magic. Not my cup of tea because of its funny rear shape but it is really a terrific example of the model. I know Steve K loves them over other Alpines and perhaps I should drive one to change my mind!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    You should be proud. That is one nice A310 and the colour is magic. Not my cup of tea because of its funny rear shape but it is really a terrific example of the model. I know Steve K loves them over other Alpines and perhaps I should drive one to change my mind!!
    Barry you can one to the collection.
    Currently: Renault Sport Megane 265 Trophy 8:08 Number 14 of 100
    Previously: Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee, Renault Sport Clio 197

Fellow Frogger!

No Barry, please don't verbal me.

I LOVE ALL ALPINES !

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 147owner View Post
    Barry you can one to the collection.
    Yeah I could but garage space is limited and would need to expand that. In any case my preference would be for an R5T2.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    No Barry, please don't verbal me.

I LOVE ALL ALPINES !
    Sorry Steve. Guess what I meant to say is that I thought that the A310 was your favourite Alpine as you mentioned to me some time ago. I know you love 'em all and a visit to your place would convince anyone of that.

Hi Number6/John

Congratulations on the purchase. Let's hope it's not too long before this car is back on the road.

What are your plans? Are you going to keep it original?

I've got the other A310 in NZ (Wellington), but in my case I've got a couple more cylinders, and they're arranged in a V. If you need any assistance with parts or contacts, get in touch.

So what's the story with NPI269?
    Looks like an abandoned dream.
    What street is it on?
    I recall someone on AF saying they had made an offer but withdrew before a deal was made.

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205 View Post
    So what's the story with NPI269?
    Looks like an abandoned dream.
    It'd have to be a Peugeot sourced part that has rendered the car immobile. :-)

Perhaps just a loss of interest, or pursuit of other interests??

Whatever. The car did make its way to the Renaultstravaganza Centenary celebrations in Canberra, wow that long ago, going on near 15 years ago now. Then it was in pristine condition. When I last saw the car 3-4 years ago, it was the same condition as the pics above, so it has been out of commission for a while. I can't talk though, none of my cars are in the same condition as they were 15 years ago either....
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

That would have been me that that had the change of mind.

A fellow car club member went past it yesterday, and had a bit of a look at it , and he said it was in very poor condition now.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Greetings Thomas.

Sorry about the long delay in response!

My car is a 1973 A310 'VF' 1600 4 Cylinder.
    'Carrosserie' Number ('Body 'Number) is 21008
    Chassis Plate Number is 0957.
    The engine number is 844-34.
    The gearbox I suspect is original but I'll need to check for you when I get back underneath!
    The colour code number 7 Gris Montebello Metallise (I may need to confirm that number though).
    It's also a Swiss specification model too.

Curiously, the car has a rather unique set of stripes painted on it and I'm not sure if that happened whilst in Switzerland or here in New Zealand. If you give me you e-mail address, I'll send you some photos of the car. Being only a 'Tadpole' within Aussiefrogs, I'm not sure if I'm able to upload any pics here at the moment.

Although it is a 'VF' model, it doesn't have the original fuel injection system but twin '45 DCOE Webbers' instead.

Cheers Thomas,

John.

Greetings Exocet.

Sorry about the delay in response!

I've been keeping a rather low profile whilst I gather up the courage to announce that.... IT'S ME and My Alpine, Yey!!!

Actually, the Alpine is currently undergoing a major brake and clutch overhaul at present. Since acquiring the car late last year, I've only spent about an hour physically with it... Hence the reluctance to say much about it yet. It's great to know that I'm not the only one with an A310. Would be very cool to drive down to Wellington and catch up you.... Line up both Alpines just to see the 'similarities' as well as the 'differences' between the two. Hopefully, that won't be in the not too distant future. My major hassle (Apart from brake and clutch issues) will be getting the car road legal and certified.

I'm am little concerned about what to expect so any advice there would be gratefully received. My only positive aspect about the COF process is that the Alpine was previously resisted and road legal before the rego plates dropped off the system.

Cheers,

John.

Greetings Bazzamac.

Thanks for your reply.

I am proud... I'll be even prouder still once I get the Alpine road legal and..... Driving again.

It certainly has been one of those cars that has etched its mark on my brain. For this is the very car that Don (Who passed away some years ago) gave me a ride in some 20 plus years ago when I was still running a Matra Bagheera. Don was a very courteous and friendly person who gave me great insight into the Matra's fuel systems... I got the impression then that he was involved in motorsport outside New Zealand.

I've never forgotten both Don and his very unique Alpine (complete with that 'crazy' paint job...). Never actually dreamed that I'd be the proud owner of that very same car some years later.

Cheers,

John.

Greetings Kiwia110.

Thank you for your reply, sorry it's been delayed somewhat.

Would love to know more about the Alpine's history and the people that had helped Don out over the years of his ownership.

French is not a language I know and access to your vast resources would be absolutely amazing. I am very grateful to you for your offer. Here is my e-mail address john@digipost.co.nz (hope that doesn't conflict with Aussie Frogs protocol). I'm open any interest by members of Aussie Frogs about the Alpine and will try to be as open and honest about my exploits, trials and tribulations during my ownership of this very special car.

I know that the chassis should be removed, repaired and cleaned but I'm simply not equipped to do that at the moment even though common sense should dictate otherwise. To be honest, I just want to get the car road legal and certified. There are some rust concerns with a small part of the front chassis. Something I will need to fix anyway. There is only surface rust on the rest of the chassis and I have been reassured that a good clean up and paint will be OK for now. All the suspension, steering rubbers and ball joints will be replaced with new parts and as mentioned, the brakes (including all the brake lines will be replaced too). So a 'running' restoration is going to be my approach. Not the most ideal situation I know but one that both Sarah and Emma (both daughters of Don) quite liked.

I did try to find CARSNZ on the WWW but with no luck. Would you be able to provide an address so that I could pursue membership?

Many thanks,

John.

Hi, I recently bought this green Alpine (1600 VF 21571) and brought it home to my shed. I'm trying to get it back on the road as soon as possible. It's still pretty solid and I'm excited to own an Alpine.
    Alpine A310 4 cylinders-alpine-info-small.jpgAlpine A310 4 cylinders-body-number-paint.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information