1976 R5 956cc 1222
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1976 R5 956cc 1222

Greetings,

Both the water temp and oil pressure lights flicker, I went through a process of elimination.

I got an infrared temperature reader, temp never got over 185. When the lights started to flicker I removed the lead to the temp sender, no change. Re-attached the temp lead. Then I removed the lead to the oil pressure sender, lights went out. To eliminate the the oil filter as a problem, I replaced it along with an oil change. Lights still come on.

My plan now is to remove the oil pan and check the screen on the oil pump. Other than that I am out of options. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Thanks,

Aaron
    Last edited by AaronH; 20th December 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: wrong year

Hi Aaron,

Before going to that trouble, i would put a master gauge in place of your oil pressure switch to check if you actually have an oil pressure concern or not. This will give you actual oil pressure readings that you can compare with specifications. You may have a faulty oil pressure switch. Not sure why your temp light is also coming on though, sounds like an earth issue or wiring shorting perhaps ?
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    Greetings,

Both the water temp and oil pressure lights flicker, I went through a process of elimination.

I got an infrared temperature reader, temp never got over 185. When the lights started to flicker I removed the lead to the temp sender, no change. Re-attached the temp lead. Then I removed the lead to the oil pressure sender, lights went out. To eliminate the the oil filter as a problem, I replaced it along with an oil change. Lights still come on.

My plan now is to remove the oil pan and check the screen on the oil pump. Other than that I am out of options. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aaron
    Hi Aaron ,
    I would probably see if I could get a pressure gauge and rig it up to the pressure sensor port and check the pressure is OK first. Then replace the sensor with a new one and see if that fixes it.
    Failing finding a problem then check the wiring. There may be a wire rubbing somewhere whick is causing the flicker by shorting out.
    jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Aaron ,
    I would probably see if I could get a pressure gauge and rig it up to the pressure sensor port and check the pressure is OK first. Then replace the sensor with a new one and see if that fixes it.
    Failing finding a problem then check the wiring. There may be a wire rubbing somewhere whick is causing the flicker by shorting out.
    jaahn
    I agree. These lights run a positive lead to the switch from the light, and if the switch activates, it earths the wire, completing the circuit and the light comes on. Any fraying or wearing of the insulation has the potential to get the light(s) to flicker.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Before you get too excited check that the dash is properly earthed.

Take a wire from the NEGATIVE terminal of the battery and find an earth terminal on it or a point where the dash is earthed to the chassis and attach the other end there. I suspect if that is the issue then a lot of other niggles will disappear too.

P

Thread Information