Stuff that does your head in.
  • Help

Default Stuff that does your head in.

Today has seen the end of a very annoying issue with my car and i keep thinking to myself, you wouldn't want to be paying someone else to do this job.

I previously replaced the entire quarter panel on my fuego, and it was not the best weld job in the world.
    Since i put the car back together there has been the most almighty rattle at 2743.6 RPm on acceleration and constantly when engine braking.
    It basically sounded like the panel was loosely riveted on, and was most distressing to my passengers.
    I've moved the exhaust and the bumper around a bit, but it just got worse.
    It sounded like two bits of sheet metal rattling against each other.

Today I decided to sort this issue once and for all and ended up pulling all the interior and exterior bits off.
    The more bits I pulled off the worse the rattle got untill there was nothing left that wasn't welded or glued on. Hmmmm

I got my mate to do a few test drives with me in the back and the window removed, to find out if I could feel the resonation.
    I forgot to say, the noise only happened around 40km/h or higher, and no vibration could be replicated in a static test, so the only way to do it was with a road test.
    That got real boring and quite painfull with no back seats.

Amazingly i could hear it super loud, but couldn't feel it in the panel.
    This was a good sign, that my panel beating skills were not as bad as I'd feared, but a bad sign too because I was running out of options of what it actually was that was so noisy.
    Clearly the vibrations were originating from the exhaust as it was rev related, but I'd already checked everything and saw no likely suspects.
    I was not going to put the car together again untill this was sorted, so started removing exhaust mounts again, one by one just in case they were the culprits.

BINGO.

The very first mount I removed, the little pesky bent wire clip that holds the rubber ring on the rear mufler was the bloody culprit.
    I still dont know exactly how the sound was generated, but when i removed that mount, all the noise was gone.
    Ignorance in silent bliss is good enough for me.

Half of me is pretty pee'd off that I had to pull apart the whole car to find the bit that required nothing to be removed, but the other half is happy that the noise is now history and i can enjoy driving again.

Of course i still need to splash a little sound deadener around and put the car back together, not to mention work out a new way of mounting the rear muffler, but the noise is gone, which is all I wanted to have sorted by the end of the day, and its not even the end of the day.

This is definitley one of those jobs you'd not have wanted to be paying someone else to do, and if you were, you'd expect a death stare from the mechanic who had to fix the damn thing.
    Jo

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Today has seen the end of a very annoying issue with my car and i keep thinking to myself, you wouldn't want to be paying someone else to do this job.

I previously replaced the entire quarter panel on my fuego, and it was not the best weld job in the world.
    Since i put the car back together there has been the most almighty rattle at 2743.6 RPm on acceleration and constantly when engine braking.
    It basically sounded like the panel was loosely riveted on, and was most distressing to my passengers.
    I've moved the exhaust and the bumper around a bit, but it just got worse.
    It sounded like two bits of sheet metal rattling against each other.

Today I decided to sort this issue once and for all and ended up pulling all the interior and exterior bits off.
    The more bits I pulled off the worse the rattle got untill there was nothing left that wasn't welded or glued on. Hmmmm

I got my mate to do a few test drives with me in the back and the window removed, to find out if I could feel the resonation.
    I forgot to say, the noise only happened around 40km/h or higher, and no vibration could be replicated in a static test, so the only way to do it was with a road test.
    That got real boring and quite painfull with no back seats.

Amazingly i could hear it super loud, but couldn't feel it in the panel.
    This was a good sign, that my panel beating skills were not as bad as I'd feared, but a bad sign too because I was running out of options of what it actually was that was so noisy.
    Clearly the vibrations were originating from the exhaust as it was rev related, but I'd already checked everything and saw no likely suspects.
    I was not going to put the car together again untill this was sorted, so started removing exhaust mounts again, one by one just in case they were the culprits.

BINGO.

The very first mount I removed, the little pesky bent wire clip that holds the rubber ring on the rear mufler was the bloody culprit.
    I still dont know exactly how the sound was generated, but when i removed that mount, all the noise was gone.
    Ignorance in silent bliss is good enough for me.

Half of me is pretty pee'd off that I had to pull apart the whole car to find the bit that required nothing to be removed, but the other half is happy that the noise is now history and i can enjoy driving again.

Of course i still need to splash a little sound deadener around and put the car back together, not to mention work out a new way of mounting the rear muffler, but the noise is gone, which is all I wanted to have sorted by the end of the day, and its not even the end of the day.

This is definitley one of those jobs you'd not have wanted to be paying someone else to do, and if you were, you'd expect a death stare from the mechanic who had to fix the damn thing.
    Jo
    Nearly every time a very rev dependent under the car has turned up, it seems to be exhaust related.

I took a car to the exhaust shop to have a new muffler fitted (bloody loose baffle, rev dependent rattle thinks me)

Came back for the car 2 hours later and asked for the bill $3.00 ???? The owner of the exhaust shop diagnosed a loose exhaust clamp and replaced it. I felt very stupid, but now use that exhaust shop for everything related to exhausts.

It's rare to find such honesty these days!

I can just imagine if a customer booked their car in for that problem and was subsequently presented with a huge labour charge bill to fix it, the customer would say .... "why didn't you just go to the exhaust first ?" To which the repairer would go
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Nearly every time a very rev dependent under the car has turned up, it seems to be exhaust related.

I took a car to the exhaust shop to have a new muffler fitted (bloody loose baffle, rev dependent rattle thinks me)

Came back for the car 2 hours later and asked for the bill $3.00 ???? The owner of the exhaust shop diagnosed a loose exhaust clamp and replaced it. I felt very stupid, but now use that exhaust shop for everything related to exhausts.

It's rare to find such honesty these days!
    It happens. I took a tyre off my ride on mower to get it fixed - it wouldn't pump up. i came back two hours later to learn that the problem was a small amount of grass/debris stuck between the tyre and rim. fixed in 20 seconds and no charge. that tyre place gets all my business.
    i'm not strange, everyone else is..........

Fellow Frogger!

Default Virage almost forces career change

The first time I replaced the wiper assembly in the Virage, I lost a day, and almost lost 3 fingers and the harmonious relationship with my brother.

The second time it had to be done, I took the car and the assembly to the local mechanic and said "Please fit this". When I picked the car up that night, the bloke at the front said "I don't think the guy who did this is in a real hurry to do another one of those". I think I saw him in the corner of the shed in the foetal position.

I paid for 3 hours labour, which sounds about right, and it was some of the best money I ever spent.

Good to hear you sorted an annoying rattle, and your panel welding was up to scratch!
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

I learned something this week.

If you use underbody sound insulation on the inside surface of the exterior panels, the fumes of thinners in the cabin are almost unbearable for about 4 days.
    After the car was sat in the midday sun, I was a bit paranoid about the car exploding when I hit the remote door opener button, but no big bang.
    The danger is probably over now, but I'm guessing its going to take a good few weeks before I cant smell thinners anymore.

Then again, I suppose there are worse things to have your car smell of.

Jo

I learned something this week.

If you use underbody sound insulation on the inside surface of the exterior panels, the fumes of thinners in the cabin are almost unbearable for about 4 days.
    After the car was sat in the midday sun, I was a bit paranoid about the car exploding when I hit the remote door opener button, but no big bang.
    The danger is probably over now, but I'm guessing its going to take a good few weeks before I cant smell thinners anymore.

Then again, I suppose there are worse things to have your car smell of.

Jo

Vomit would smell bad......ask any taxi driver. (if you can find one who can speak english)
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Vomit would smell bad......ask any taxi driver. (if you can find one who can speak english)
    Never, ever spill cream in the boot. If it gets into any cracks, you get sour cream every time the car warms up. I know two sets of people who ended up selling cars (in winter) for this simple issue.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Comment on original post. One of the many virtues of the rear-engined cars is the shortness and simplicity of the exhaust system. It is very rare to have an exhaust noise issue and there are only two or three bolts to worry about (one clamp at the manifold and one bolt to hang on the system to the rear cross member and that is it. They last almost forever too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

[...]

Half of me is pretty pee'd off that I had to pull apart the whole car to find the bit that required nothing to be removed [...]

[...]
    I too found the hard way that is usually the case. Since then, I just walk around the car and hit everything with a stick or similar to hear if I can create the annoying sound.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post

I protest in the name of taxi drivers. At least those born here should be credited with that skill.

That being said, I have met people with english as a second (or third or fourth) language who spoke (some even way) better than the average person with english as a first language.

And yes, vomit does indeed smell pretty badly. Especially the next morning when it's dry and exhudes from places you didn't know existed in your car.

Fish is another one. If you go fishing in winter, don't lose any of your catch in the car, that's all I'll say. You'll have a nasty surprise come summer.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 19th December 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Nothing smelt as bad as bong water and a chocolate Big M spilt onto the coconut fibre backed carpet of my Rover, and then left in the sun for two days in summer with the windows up. Took weeks to get that smell out....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Seeing as this has turned into a worst smell thread, I have had the rare privilege of smelling the very seldom smelled substance that I call dog musk.
    It is in another league to any of the smells mentioned so far.
    It is made in the anal gland of a dog, but is luckily rather unknown too most people.
    I only got to experience it when my dog had a mild fit in the car.
    I dont know what it is or what it is meant to be for but it is the sweetest most obnoxious substance I have ever smelled, but worst of all, imprints on the brain so when you get the slightest whiff of it, the brain synthesises the memory and you repel like you had a solid whiff of it.

If it ever ends up on anything i own again, I'd happily tip bong water mixed with fish and chocky milk just to cover it up.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bad Smells

I once worked with a bloke who's mates thought it smart to wire a whole mullet to his exhaust manifold on his wedding day, He lasted that night and half the next day driving it , And then he parked it at secure site and hired a car for the rest of thjere honeymoon.

Thread Information