R8/10 Gearbox mountings
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    120

    Default R8/10 Gearbox mountings

    Did anyone find a suitable replacement for these yet?

    I made one from a Cortina V6 engine mounting today that looks as if it would do the job. Wil take a pic tommorrow and post.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    We can buy them from Caravelle Spares. Just bought 4 and fitted them to my Floride S and sons R10.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    We can buy them from Caravelle Spares. Just bought 4 and fitted them to my Floride S and sons R10.
    Hi Sunroof,

    My engine and gearbox mounts aren't broken just a bit sagged and my car is really bad for buzzing and vibration, especially at high speed. I was wondering if replacing the mounts may improve this. Ken from Caravelle gave me a price on them and i found his service and pricing is excellent . Did you have buzzing or were your mounts broken ?
    cheers,

    John

  4. #4
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Hi Sunroof,

    My engine and gearbox mounts aren't broken just a bit sagged and my car is really bad for buzzing and vibration, especially at high speed. I was wondering if replacing the mounts may improve this. Ken from Caravelle gave me a price on them and i found his service and pricing is excellent . Did you have buzzing or were your mounts broken ?
    Not only mounts John. Gearlinkage rubber blocks may have been bastardised with some odd repair, which transmits noise, and my worst noise was fixed many years ago with new rear shock absorbers (Koni). Wheel bearings and tyres deserve thought too. Never hurts to start with the mounts mind you, if they are pulling off their backing plates. The rear (engine) mounts can sag enough for the rubber buffer on the end to rest on the mount base, which certainly will transmit lots of buzz and zizz.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Mine was vibrating and noisy not from gearbox mounts but engine mounts which had sagged and were sitting on the metal of the chassis as John W said.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,705

    Default

    Tljakes,
    No problem in Aus it would seem.
    However the chances of finding a Cortina V6 [Savage?] mount in this neck of the woods ??

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Not only mounts John. Gearlinkage rubber blocks may have been bastardised with some odd repair, which transmits noise, and my worst noise was fixed many years ago with new rear shock absorbers (Koni). Wheel bearings and tyres deserve thought too. Never hurts to start with the mounts mind you, if they are pulling off their backing plates. The rear (engine) mounts can sag enough for the rubber buffer on the end to rest on the mount base, which certainly will transmit lots of buzz and zizz.
    Thanks John and Sunroof, my gear linkage and rubber blocks in excellent condition, my rear shockers are new, tyres new and wheel bearings don't appear noisy so sounds like a careful look at the mounts may be in order.
    cheers,

    John

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tamworth UK
    Posts
    624

    Default Gearbox mounts

    I am sure that Frans will come on and suggest what he ( and I and others have ) done. This takes a bit of fabrication but is failsafe. I would suggest that this is a much better idea than trying to replicate the original "suicide" mounts which will allow the whole thing to drop badly if they fail.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Frans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110 View Post
    I am sure that Frans will come on and suggest what he ( and I and others have ) done. This takes a bit of fabrication but is failsafe. I would suggest that this is a much better idea than trying to replicate the original "suicide" mounts which will allow the whole thing to drop badly if they fail.
    I have no specific pictures of this mounting I made but it is very easy.
    Firstly some history. The way I see it is that the top mounting is the one that needs to carry the weight and that is the one that is too weak. The side mountings is not meant to carry any weight because the way they are made they are actually thrust mountings. They have to keep the body and gearbox in the center of the car when cornering. They cannot carry any weight because they will simply shear off and that is exactly what happens when the top mounting sags. And so is the rear mountings as well. They have a shearing action on them and luckily they have a safety housing were they are mounted in. Have a good look and you will see old mountings were lying at the bottom of their cradle on their rubber stop.

    What I did was to use the same mountings and I cut the rubber in between them off. This left me with about 25 - 30 mm gap. I then looked for some suspension bushes that fits in a 1 inch water pipe that is welded to the one side and the bushes have a 12mm hole in the center. On the other side are 2 pieces flat bar welded with 12mm holes in them. A 12mm bolt goes through these flat bar's holes and through the bushes as well. I used suspension bushes for the race car because I wanted them very firm. They are Nolathane with the part number 47024. If they can carry a car, they can carry a gearbox as well. Because they are round, they are equally strong in all directions that means the top mounting can be discarded because they can do the carrying and the sideways thrust.

    The pictures I have is actually pictures of when I made my extractors but you can see the mountings in the background. I hope it will make sense.

    The other 2 pictures are that of my rear mountings and they have been cut strategically out of a piece of angle iron. In the pics they are alloy but they were too weak so i copied them in mild steel.

    Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8/10 Gearbox mountings-img_0146.jpg   R8/10 Gearbox mountings-img_0147.jpg   R8/10 Gearbox mountings-img_0062.jpg   R8/10 Gearbox mountings-img_0064.jpg  
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Hi Frans,

    Here is my version of the gearbox mountings I made.

    Step 1 was to drill a hole right trough the centre of both plates. Then I cut off the rubber from the plates engine mounting have 10mm threads on both sides.
    I then drilled two holes into the base plates and into the steel of the new mountings. Gave the mountings thread and used 6mm bolts 5mm long to prevent the plates from rotating on the plates. Don't think it's ncessary but I did it anyway.
    Made space for the centre bolt on the origional mounting bracket which now bolts straight back into the same space that the origional was situated.

    I hear what you are saying about the top gearbox mount I'm also looking at a way to get rid of the origional design and get something stiffer fitted.

    Did you build something there as well?[IMG]file:///I:/DCIM/100ANDRO/DSC_0012.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///I:/DCIM/100ANDRO/DSC_0011.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///I:/DCIM/100ANDRO/DSC_0010.jpg[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8/10 Gearbox mountings-gb-mounting-1.jpg   R8/10 Gearbox mountings-gb-mounting-2.jpg   R8/10 Gearbox mountings-gb-mounting-3.jpg  

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,619

    Default

    I had a closer look at my mounts tonight and Bingo ! Exactly as you guys have described - rears are fully bottomed out. No wonder it's so buzzy !
    cheers,

    John

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts geckoeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,771

    Default Exhaust system !!

    Hi Frans,

    Know this thread is about engine mounts, BUT !!!

    Nice "banana bunch" very good lengths, will make very good power at the bottom end on the G. Have you run the car on the road yet???

    Ray geckoeng

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    11,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I had a closer look at my mounts tonight and Bingo ! Exactly as you guys have described - rears are fully bottomed out. No wonder it's so buzzy !
    And before anyone jumps in and comments on inadequate design etc, I'd hazard a guess that the mounts are decades old. Perhaps three decades..... No one replaces them until the noise starts.....

    I've only needed to replace mine once in 37 years of ownership. If I bother to pull the engine out again (can't see why I would, but you never know) I guess I'd put new ones in at the time.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    And before anyone jumps in and comments on inadequate design etc, I'd hazard a guess that the mounts are decades old. Perhaps three decades..... No one replaces them until the noise starts.....

    I've only needed to replace mine once in 37 years of ownership. If I bother to pull the engine out again (can't see why I would, but you never know) I guess I'd put new ones in at the time.
    Well John,
    I reckon my mounts would have been there from well before the 1.4l conversion. I've gone the quick, cheap & easy route & replaced mine with newies from Caravelle as I don't have the time or facilities to do the modified mount set up at the moment. I can't believe how much more livable the little 10 is now. Just have to sort out a small exhaust leak now.
    Last edited by J-man; 20th December 2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
    cheers,

    John

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •