The Fuego handling improvement thread.
  • Help
    Administrator

Default The Fuego handling improvement thread.

Thought I'd start a thread about what can be done to a Fuego to improve the handling and what doesn't work.

I have done the following to Fuego's:

Advertisement

Change - Heavier (and lower) front springs (300Lb/In)
    Pros -
    Much better all round handling.
    Higher front end grip (not sure if it actually had any more grip as theory says it shouldn't but you were prepared to use more of it because you knew the rear end wasn't going to bite as hard if you had to back off).
    Much less front loaded wheel weight transfer and rear jacking under brakes while cornering.
    Better Ride (go figure)
    Easier to change springs (When used in conjuction with R25 dampers, the springs were just short enough that you could put the damper shaft through the hole in the tower and then jack up the suspension. No compressor required)
    Cons -
    None. The Fuego relies very heavily on it's OE front dampers. Unless they are completely stuffed or you can find a set of Genuine Replacement dampers, LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Change - R25 dampers
    Pros -
    Much firmer valving than normal Fuego replacement shocks.
    Work well with firmer springs.
    Cons -
    Requires new springs as saddle is different.
    Requires slight enlargenment of strut tower hole (larger damper shaft and rubber)

Change - 1 degree of Negative Camber on the front.
    Pros -
    Slightly better front end grip and feel.
    Cons -
    Excessive tramlining under braking (very tyre dependant also)

Change - Heavier (and lower) rear springs. (1 coil removed, spring reshaped)
    Pros -
    Better turn in.
    Less Body Roll
    Cons -
    Ride a little harsher/different.
    Rear can be snappy at the limit unless the front springs are also changed.
    Can change the rear toe in/out geometry if you go too low.

Feel free to add too or debate as required.

1000+ Posts

Msitareno: Great info well presented. I don't have a Fugeo any more. Wish there was a similar thread for other Reno models R10, 12, 17 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread about what can be done to a Fuego to improve the handling and what doesn't work.

I have done the following to Fuego's:

Change - Heavier (and lower) front springs (300Lb/In)
    Pros -
    Much better all round handling.
    Higher front end grip (not sure if it actually had any more grip as theory says it shouldn't but you were prepared to use more of it because you knew the rear end wasn't going to bite as hard if you had to back off).
    Much less front loaded wheel weight transfer and rear jacking under brakes while cornering.
    Better Ride (go figure)
    Easier to change springs (When used in conjuction with R25 dampers, the springs were just short enough that you could put the damper shaft through the hole in the tower and then jack up the suspension. No compressor required)
    Cons -
    None. The Fuego relies very heavily on it's OE front dampers. Unless they are completely stuffed or you can find a set of Genuine Replacement dampers, LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Change - R25 dampers
    Pros -
    Much firmer valving than normal Fuego replacement shocks.
    Work well with firmer springs.
    Cons -
    Requires new springs as saddle is different.
    Requires slight enlargenment of strut tower hole (larger damper shaft and rubber)

Change - 1 degree of Negative Camber on the front.
    Pros -
    Slightly better front end grip and feel.
    Cons -
    Excessive tramlining under braking (very tyre dependant also)

Change - Heavier (and lower) rear springs. (1 coil removed, spring reshaped)
    Pros -
    Better turn in.
    Less Body Roll
    Cons -
    Ride a little harsher/different.
    Rear can be snappy at the limit unless the front springs are also changed.
    Can change the rear toe in/out geometry if you go too low.

Feel free to add too or debate as required.

Richard, in our endless quest to sort out this spare parts night mare weve given ourselves we've found a pair of R25 front Koni shockers and top arms if your interested.
    There at home, out the back sitting on the BBQ if you want to have a look, just don't drive over the grass
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Richard, in our endless quest to sort out this spare parts night mare weve given ourselves we've found a pair of R25 front Koni shockers and top arms if your interested.
    There at home, out the back sitting on the BBQ if you want to have a look, just don't drive over the grass
    Yeah, that'd be great.

I'll give you a buzz later on.

great thread, mistareno.

I will attemt to change to R25 shocks this school holidays, as that seems like a nice cheap mod and I'm a bit broke.

I just pulled a shock off the r25, with great difficulty i might add.
    It is a boge.
    Is this Oe or an after market shock???

Jo

Mistareno, how does one go about procuring a 300lb/in spring for a r25/fuego hybrid??

Jo

Administrator

I took both a stock 25 spring (and a damper I think) and a Fuego Spring down to the spring works and told him I wanted a spring that would match the Fuego top and the R25 bottom. I gave him the required static height (see below, but I will try and find my notebook and save you the trouble) and was 300LB/IN.

The springworks did the required calculations regarding coil thickness and number and I seem to remember the final spring being pretty close to the mark.

This is how I calculated the length required -

• I installed the r25 damper into position with no spring and with the suspension at full droop.

• I measured the height from the bottom seat (on the damper) to the top seat (on the body).

• I then added 10mm to ensure the spring would always be captive if the car was airborne.

This is how I calculated the static height of the spring -

• I think I used the figure of 700LB per front wheel (based on a 60/40 F/R split)/

• 700LB would compress a 300LB/IN spring 2.3 inches (at the spring). That worked out to alot more at the wheel but it was about what I required.

• With those specs, the car was low, but not speed hump scraping low.

I made all the spring and ratio calculations based on the equations in a fairly old book "How to make your car handle". Most of the book is pretty antiquated, but the equations for calculating wheel rate and spring rates haven't changed.

With the Fuego M/R the actual wheel rate with a 300LB/In spring was still very low by many cars standards. I seem to recall it being in the vicinity of 100LB/IN (a RSM is about 250)

I will try and find my notebook which has all my ramblings.

I know the spring was 300LB/IN but the other figures could be (and probably are) wrong.

NOTE: My calculations were based on the ride height I desired which was lower than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    (see below, but I will try and find my notebook and save you the trouble) and was 300LB/IN.
    Thanks for the reply, mistareno.

What would save me even more trouble would be if the place you had manufacture the coils still have their original notes and I could just order a set to be made the same as yours, that way I dont have to reinvent the wheel at a new spring place, and dare i say it, bugger up the whole attempt.

Jo

Administrator

I will probably be fitting the same springs when I get to that stage on the Fuego, so I'll keep you posted.

Thread Information