R12 Dashmats
  • Help

Thread: R12 Dashmats

RJB
    Tadpole

Default R12 Dashmats

Hi, anyone know where (and if) you can get R12 Dashmats...?
    was just looking at photos of a really nice green R12 for sale and noticed it had a neat looking mat....

Advertisement

Tadpole

Hi RJB.

On the Virage, the dashtop - even although black, is shiny enough to cast highlights onto the windscreen, affecting vision. For this reason I looked for an R12 dashmat a few years ago, but to no avail. I seem to remember that you could have them made to spec somewhere or other, but in the end I bought an offcut of some very matt black crinkly sound deadener fabric and made my own. Trick is to design an effective
    way of keeping it in place.

Default DIY Dashmat

The 12 dash is flat enough that almost any piece of matting or carpet will drape across the dash - my first one had a piece of floor carpet that fitted quite nicely. It will stay quite happily in place, the only issue is the glovebox - mine had a couple of pieces of double sided tape to keep the glovebox section in place, but if you don't want to tape to the dash, I am sure you could use some cable ties or hooks to the vents, or alternatively leave it as a single piece and don't use the glovebox.
    Bolla

85 Feugo x2
    83 Fuego (stored parts car)
    75 R12 Almost on the road!
    74 R12 Wagon undergoing restoration
    03 BMW K1200RS

Ford Territory & Focus

Previously
    too many Fords to list
    73 R12
    79 Virage

I made my own too out of some sound deadener, and caught it under the vent grille at the base of the windshield. It's really easy. Undo the screws, feed the edge through, clamp down screws. Made two cuts across the dashmat to create a flap atop the glovebox lid, so I have full use of glovebox. No problems ever.

Fellow Frogger!

I recently bought a dash mat for her baby ford - it came with a handful of ~30mm pieces of double sided velco - think of it if it only needs to stay in place and is not fighting gravity.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Thread Information