Magazine of the month
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Magazine of the month

Just to continue where Simon's thread left off before the great crash of 2010.

Top Gear Australia magazine has 3 stories on Renaults this month. (December 2010)

Being TGA, it is of coarse a little light on substance and it covers the Megane RS, the Megane CC and the Fluence in a 2 page spread.

With the RS, the writer spends half of the story whinging about how the gizmo that messures your 0 to 100 time as being inaccurate, but the rest of the car is "bloody brilliant".
    They give it a 15/20.

Advertisement

The CC is criticized on 2 main fronts, the roof and the lack of power:-
    -The roof being made of glass and being heavy (110kg), as a result it effects the handling when it is stowed in the boot and it takes longer (26 sec) than what Renault claims (21 sec) for it to fold up into the boot.
    -The lack of power due to 103kW having to lug around 1900kg through an variable automatic transmission.
    They like the styling, the ride quality and the interior.
    It scores 12/20.

The story on the Fluence makes for grim reading, "a duller, less inspiring device to transport you anywhere would be impossible to imagine"...."it's a dull, dull, dull car"....."utterly, utterly underwhelming. If you buy this because you want to look European, that's your bad luck".
    They do think it's ride quality is okay and the steering feels good, but it suffers from the same lack of power as the CC.
    It scores 8/20.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I say this, but I think Renault maybe onto a winner with the Fluence, because it is the sort of device Joe Public looks for in a car, unoffendsive, value for money and hopefully reliable. A French Camry if you like?
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart arse when I say this, but I think Renault maybe onto a winner with the Fluence, because it is the sort of device Joe Public looks for in a car, unoffendsive, value for money and hopefully reliable. A French Camry if you like?
    I completely agree with you on this.

Boring sell's in Australia, just ask Toyota and Holden! I believe Renault is slowly seeing the light when it comes to selling cars in Australia. The Fluence has the potential to be a sold performer for Renault in Australia, IF, they can market the thing properly.

I do think the comments were however, a touch over the top!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

It's not really a "Top Gear" car is it?

I think it's the right replacement for the Megane Sedan, which seemed to sell really well here :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

This months Unique Cars (Issue 319) has a two page spread on the Megane 250 Trophée.
    It's only 0.1 sec slower than the more expensive and more powerful Focus RS of a lap of Phillip Island!
    The only thing they knock about it is the lack of room in the back.
    Cheers Renomad

Unique Cars (Issue 320) has a 1 page story on the R4 turning 50. There's also a 1 page story on what to look for when buying a used Renaultsport Clio.

TGA (Jan 2011) gives the nod to the Megane RS 250 Cup as Hothatch of the Year and there's a pointless story about the DeZir concept car.
    Cheers Renomad

Wheels (March 2011) has a Hot Hatch Shootout featuring the Clio RS 200 Gordini and the Megane RS 250 Trophee.
    I've only had a quick flick through the mag for now, but it appears the Clio is a mid field finisher and the Megane kicks arse once more!
    Cheers Renomad

Virgin Blue's inflight magazine has a review of the Megane RS 250 this month. Claims it is supposed to be a Golf GTI killer and is generally positive.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Motor April 2011 has a comparison between the Megane RS250, the VW Golf GTi and the Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV.
    The Megane beats them in every category, the only blemishes are the "wooden" feeling gear lever, a clutch with a "limp throw", "poor rear vision, some controls are awkwardly placed, and it's overall packaging favours form over functionality."

"...the current Trophee-spec Megane is the hottest hatch on the block......the Renaultsport badge deserves to be held with the same regard as BMW's 'M' and both Porsche's and Audi's RS monikers."
    Cheers Renomad

Recently in the supermarket, while waiting for the missus to catch up on the latest goss, I was flicking through the latest Wheels Magazine and there is a road test on the Latitude.
    Basically it said the Latitude is uninspiring to drive and to look at, there is some critisim of some cheap plastics used in the interior, but it is packed with features and is good value for money!

Again while waiting on the missus, I was flicking through the lastest Australian Classic Car magazine and there is an article on Affordable Classic Cars and the Floride/Caravelle makes it into the top 10!
    Cheers Renomad

Basically it said the Latitude is uninspiring to drive and to look at, there is some critisim of some cheap plastics used in the interior, but it is packed with features and is good value for money!
    Sounds like a Camry really! If that's all they can find wrong (remembering it's not supposed to be a RS Megane) hopefully it will go gangbusters - by Renault standards
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

In my opinion it looks like one too! So yes, it should appeal to the masses, provided they know about it!
    Cheers Renomad

Wheels July 2011 has a "The best Car For $45K" comparison, where a Commodore SV6, a Falcon XR6 Turbo Ute, a Mazda MX-5, a Subaru WRX and a Megane RS250 go head to head and guess what comes out on top!
    There's also a comparison between the Mondeo, Latitude, Passat and Skoda Superb. The Latitude comes dead last scoring only a 6/10, it's still a pass I suppose! Of the 15 cars in this segment the Latitude is ranked at 14, on beating the Holden Epica!
    Then there's story written by Peter Robinson where he selects his "50 Greatest Cars of All Time", I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but a quick flick through has revealed the R16TS at #47, the Peugeot 205 GTi at #46, the Citroen 2CV at #39, the Citroen SM at #36 and the Peugeot 404 at #30.
    Cheers Renomad

Sad day when a Renault is outclassed by a Camry....
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

1000+ Posts

May issue of UK monthly 'Retro Cars' has a nice story of an R5G engined R4
    Cheers! Peter

May 2011 issue of Australian Classic Car magazine has a good article on the 50yrs of the Renault R4.
    I have a 3.7mb scan of it, but not sure how to host/attach it; or even if I can (copyright wise).
    KB
    KB

Called in to the Cairns Peugeot Dealership the other week and was given copies of "Driven 05:11" and "200 Years of Excellence and Emotion"
    Lots of Peugeot History and Concepts in a nicely presented book.

Paul

Default OMG! The Latitude gets a positive review!

Yes the Latitude! The same car that every other publication has given only a lukewarm review to at best, gets comments like "Handling-wise it's all good news - and a couple of other Korean manufacturers should take the Latitude for a drive" and "When you look at the standard features list, the Latitude stacks up very well".
    The +'s sharp pricing, excellent standard features list, the Diesel's engine performance and a 5 year warranty.
    The -'s The dealer network needs expanding.
    So in what mag is this review? The NRMA's Open Road! Maybe now some Camry drivers will be tempted!

There's also a review on the RS Clio 200 Gordini on the same page, as you'd expect they love it, except for the cheap interior.
    Cheers Renomad

Yes the Latitude! The same car that every other publication has given only a lukewarm review to at best, gets comments like "Handling-wise it's all good news - and a couple of other Korean manufacturers should take the Latitude for a drive" and "When you look at the standard features list, the Latitude stacks up very well".
    The +'s sharp pricing, excellent standard features list, the Diesel's engine performance and a 5 year warranty.
    The -'s The dealer network needs expanding.
    So in what mag is this review? The NRMA's Open Road! Maybe now some Camry drivers will be tempted!

There's also a review on the RS Clio 200 Gordini on the same page, as you'd expect they love it, except for the cheap interior.
    The same people who read the Open Road stay in the right lane constantly on the freeways...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

We get the Open Road as part of our membership to the NRMA, do I read it? Rarely, a quick flick through and it's in the recycle bin, unless something catches my eye, like the Renault features. But that takes a couple of minutes, then it's in the recycle bin!
    And I keep left unless overtaking!
    Cheers Renomad

wheels or motor last month had a comparison on the DS3 Audi A1 Mini Cooper S and Arbath ESSESS, the DS3 won!!!

Also, Performance French Cars is back in circulation, it CAN be a bit MAx Power at times, but its def better than nothing!

Cool, thanks Cam, I'll keep an eye out for PFC.
    Cheers Renomad

http://www.performancefrenchcars.co.uk/forum.php

might help, god knows how many newso's bother with a mag about weird little french cars!!

just hope it doesnt go bust again, at least last time my subscription had finished!

The latest version of Australian Classic cars has a story of some Perth based nutter who has a collection of 35 cars including many Renaults

Doubt he's on here though
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by cam740 View Post
    That was a great read, thanks Cam!

I miss my R12.
    Cheers Renomad

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information