Trick to removing R25 ignition barrel?
  • Help
    Tom

Default Trick to removing R25 ignition barrel?

I've removed the little torx screw and I can't see anything else that is holding it in other than the metal spring loaded teeth on the underside that lock it into place in the sleeve.

For the life of me I can't compress these two teeth sufficiently to slide the bloody thing out.

Advertisement

Is there a trick to it?

Fellow Frogger!

Don't know if this applies to the R25 but on the R12 (and I have seen this on other cars as well) you need to have the key in the ignition and turned to enable the lugs to compress and you then use the actual key to pull the barrel out.

Trust this make sense.

Good luck.

1000+ Posts

On other cars key needs to be turned so as to unlock the locking part. e.g. accessories position. Not sure about R25 tho.

1000+ Posts

Sorry Phil thats what you said "dur".

Tom

Hmmmm. If that's the case I may be in a spot of bother as the reason I need to replace the barrel is that some !#$%!@% broke into the car and decided to jam a screwdriver or something in the ignition.

I can get the key in but it doesn't go all the way in and I can't turn it from the locked position. Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I've removed the little torx screw and I can't see anything else that is holding it in other than the metal spring loaded teeth on the underside that lock it into place in the sleeve.

For the life of me I can't compress these two teeth sufficiently to slide the bloody thing out.

Is there a trick to it?
    If it is a Nieman lock, put in the key and turn it to the <garage> position, press in spring loaded doovers and it should slide out.

The locking doovers won't allow pressing in unless the lock is in garage position.

EDIT: I've just seen your last post...You can drill them out, but it's a hell of a procedure, you need to drill the centre turning piece out, then enlarge the hole until the guts of the lock can be removed from the front. It's takes real care not to damage the surrounds, it can be done, 'tho.

Hmmmm. If that's the case I may be in a spot of bother as the reason I need to replace the barrel is that some !#$%!@% broke into the car and decided to jam a screwdriver or something in the ignition.

I can get the key in but it doesn't go all the way in and I can't turn it from the locked position. Joy.
    If they can do it, why cant you, Tom.
    Just use a bigger screwdriver than they did.

Jo

1000+ Posts

6mm drill should do it, down the keyway -that will clear the way for the locking pins to drop and allow it to rotate freely, might need to tap the side of the lock to get them to drop away. Caravelle has new locks for the Fuego, probably has then for your too.

Ken

Most of the barrels are hardened steel and very difficult to drill.
    There is a button on the side that you press in when you turn the key to the garage position as others have alreday said. get a pin punch and a hammer and bash (and I mean bash) that pin into the lock, usually you'll get it in far enough to clear the steel housing.

If that doesn't work use a chisel or sharp screwdriver and drive it down between the switch and the steel housing where the pin is and lever the housing open enough for the switch to slide out then tap it back into shape so the replacement switch fits in snuggly.

Sound rather brutle but it is the quickest and most effective way, doesn't take long, I once did an R12 so quickly that the owner hadn't finished paying the tow truck when the car was towed in because they had lost the key, I had the engine running before the towie had left.

I presume the new lock we sent you arrived okay
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I am just confused at why someone would attempt to nick an R25...

When a friend years ago had her handbag stolen whilst out with her Fuego keys in it, I just unbolted the whole steering column and took it to a locksmith (after getting into the car via a very long stick slid though an ajar rear window and pressing the central locking button on the dash!).

The locksmith was able to pick the lock and cut a new key, but made a number of comments about how Neimen built them a lot tougher than usual (and was a bugger to pick). Apparently they have extra hardened steel pins inside to dissuade them being forced and broken.

Default Lock removal experiences

Ditto on their being a bugger when the key is missing/won't go in. Have done an R12 by grinding the weld across the join in the band of metal around the lock & opening the band a bit to let it out. Not sure how the 25 is for this operation. (Is a bit less brutal than bashing a modern column with calapsable components). Also have drilled out a Fiat Regatta lock for lost key reasons - did work, but a little expensive in drill bits ...

Good luck
    Only19
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

If I remember correctly, the barrel is not steel, but some softer metal (the part where the key goes in), as they need to be cast in a rather intricate shape. The locking pin on the other hand is indeed some really hard steel, you can't drill that one. That can be drilled as Ken suggested. Dave is right, you have to push the locking pin in, after the key has withdrawn the little followers by being turned to the first click (Garage position?).

That being said, I would probably try Jo's suggestion first though. I think he's right in saying if they can, so should you. Turning the barrel just enough would free the locking pin to be pressed in and free the whole lock to come out. It may take a little bit longer, but it saves bashing or breaking anything.

Last time I did it, I had to cut the first weld spot on the lock housing though just like Dave suggested. If you don't have the right tools and experience though, you might end up with a pretty ugly job. I would recommend a Dremel with a fine cutting disc (that's what I used) and cut the weld along the housing join. A screwdriver in the join would then expand the housing enough that you can withdraw the lock.

Post six in this thread details how a lock can be removed from a 404.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...654#post911654

I'm with DC on this one. Dont poof around with trying any soft way of removing it. The time for that has long since passed. Pulverise it.

I must confess having my own wrecks gives me an added confidence when it comes to wielding a demolition hammer or a grinder, but I bet I could take a big breath in and have that part removed before I needed another breath.
    I play silly mind games like that.
    Another one I play is I imaging I'm on the SS enterprise, the klingons are opening an attack and just like in the real episode, the entire crew of the ship will be lost unless this barrel is removed in the next 30 seconds.
    If you play this game yourself, free to substitute your fave super hero, Dr WHo, Batman, Superman, wonder woman etc....

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

The above is why I always read a thread Jo has had a go at it .Endless entertainment.
    Regards Dennis.

Tom

Icon7

What an ordeal! Finally got it out. Only took two broken screwdrivers and a black fingernail! Thanks for all advice. Jo, I'll let you know about the window in the next few days. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

[...]

If you play this game yourself, free to substitute your fave super hero, Dr WHo, Batman, Superman, wonder woman etc....

Jo
    I played that game once. The superhero lost and almost missed supper.

Thread Information