Dacia Duster SUV and Laguna Coupe for Australia??
  • Help

Default Dacia Duster SUV and Laguna Coupe for Australia??

New head of Renault Australia, Justin Hocevar, is now on record saying the company is looking very closely at introducing the Dacia Duster SUV and Renault Laguna Coupe for the Australian market.

Hocevar has announced after years of dwelling in the fringes, Renault is determined to make an impact on the mainstream car market of Australia.

"Duster and Laguna Coupe are now on the cards for Australia, along with several other assets in the group to expand it's showroon presence in Australia and help get cheaper, European-sourced cars into the market."

... I wish I could post the article up for you guys, but I'm having trouble working that out, sorry ...

He goes on to say that the Lagina Coupe will act as a halo model for the brand as they try to rebuild Renault over the next 5 years. There is a Laguna Coupe evaluation vehicle due to arrive for testing in Australia.

Also, when the Duster SUV arrives, it will wear a Renault badge, as Hocevar has ruled out the introduction of the Dacia brand to Australia.

What I would like to know is, what are these 'several other assets' that Hocevar is talking aboout??

We all know Renault needs a budget car to get people back into the showrooms, but which car??

The current Clio, in it's bread and butter forms, will not make it here, and reports are saying that the next generation Clio will also be built in South Korea as the new Renault-Samsung SM1, which would almost certainly see the car and the 'Clio' badge back in Australia. But this vehicle will be bigger and pricer, so there would be room for a car to be sold under that.

Theres the Renault Sandero, whis is already built and sold in South Africa, so RHD isn't a problem there, but then there is also the Clio Campus model which is still being built in Turkey and even the Renault Symbol sedan, a Clio based sedan and another car from Turkey that could be sold here.

Reports are also saying that Renault-Samsung will start production of the new generation Renault Grand Scenic, badge Renault-Samsung FM5 in South Korea, so there is another opportunity for Renault to re-introduce the Grand Scenic to the Australian market and at a cheaper price.

What's everyone else think??

Advertisement

Saw that - a Laguna Coupe would make me very happy indeed...

Hopefully they sell just a handful, so the depreciation is even worse than the average Laguna and I can buy one in a few years for two tenths of stuff all

Tadpole
    Bucharest & Iasi - Romania ; Wien - Osterreich

Hello !

It will be great for you to have Dacia Duster in Australia; I think you'll like this car!
    On http://www.renault.com/en/vehicules/...es/duster.aspx or on http://www.dacia.ro/modele-si-preturi/duster/ you may find last details regarding Duster. You may use google translator to translate the page... This is a minus for Dacia site ... they have the webpage only in romanian.....

Sort of translation example made by Google:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ter%2F&act=url

Yes the Dacia Duster will be an interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Saw that - a Laguna Coupe would make me very happy indeed...

Hopefully they sell just a handful, so the depreciation is even worse than the average Laguna and I can buy one in a few years for two tenths of stuff all
    I'm with you there Haakon, a modern day Fuego!

Wouldn't the Duster take sales from the Koleos?
    It's certainly a better looking vehicle!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by iLaguna View Post
    He goes on to say that the Lagina Coupe will act as a halo model
    I've always thought the Renault lozenge on the front and rear flanks had a, err, feminine appearance:

I guess it now has a name...

I mean, not as feminine as the Ford Edsel...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

There was an video advt in Europe a few years ago for the Clio where a guy is kneeling in front of the Clio licking the lozenge. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    There was an video advt in Europe a few years ago for the Clio where a guy is kneeling in front of the Clio licking the lozenge. Not sure why.
    I'm sure the car purred like a kitten!

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information