Clio Auto's-any problems?
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Clio Auto's-any problems?

I have a friend and she wants an auto.Drove a Clio years ago and was surprised at how good it was as an auto.

I have heard all the issues with 19's etc so can you please comment on the Clio only if you have had direct experience a Clio auto?Performance, reliability, servicing requirements.NB. I have had experience with Clios,just not an auto so it is the auto transmission that I want first hand feedback about.

Thanks,

Advertisement

Peter.
    Last edited by pclio; 1st December 2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Suprisingly, we at French Connection sell more manual gear box's.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Suprisingly, we at French Connection sell more manual gear box's.
    Thanks for the feedback, but I guess that there were more manuals sold. How much would a SH auto go for?

Already been kindly alerted to a solemiod issue by PM that effects 1-2 changes when cold but seems to be a reasonable ($400) cost to fix and occurs at a reasonable klms.

Thanks again,

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by pclio View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, but I guess that there were more manuals sold. How much would a SH auto go for?

Already been kindly alerted to a solemiod issue by PM that effects 1-2 changes when cold but seems to be a reasonable ($400) cost to fix and occurs at a reasonable klms.

Thanks again,

Peter.
    Not sure if they're was more manuals sold we've had alot more auto's (scale about 3/1)
    We sell working auto transmisions for $1100 as we do for the manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Not sure if they're was more manuals sold we've had alot more auto's (scale about 3/1)
    We sell working auto transmisions for $1100 as we do for the manuals.
    Thats a fair price.
    The other day I responded to a post by telling the origional poster to tell the second hand dealer to shove the gearbox quote...well you can guess where.

All the time I was thinking...Gee I hope that wasnt DC who gave the quote.

Back to clio's, Whilst i dont know anything much at all about them, I will say there has been a conspicuous absence of people on aussie frogs over the years who have had clio auto gearbox problems, as opposed to laguna and scenic rx4 drivers who's complaints have been to numerous to remember.
    There is always the chance clio auto drivers dont visit AF, and they just drive their cars like whitegoods and we dont hear about their issues, but I doubt it.

Jo

Default Clio auto experience

Hi there - my partner has a 2005 Clio auto I picked up for her about 8 months ago. Thus far it has run like a charm AND converted her from driving washing machines. She loves it's precise handling and responsive braking. (as compared to the 1999 Camry she used to drive). Have heard of a number needing the solenoid fix - but have not heard of any packing it in. (Unlike 19's, or for that matter R12's!!!). Only gripe is it seems less fuel efficient than my manual 2L Laguna. (Suspect she enjoys it's zippy performance a little TOO much ... )
    Cheers
    Only(Manual)19
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone for their replies, nice and comforting and a great reason to be on a forum like this.

Peter.

Tadpole

My wife bought auto Clio new in 2004 and still owns it. Doesn't do a lot of km's but no trouble whatever with autobox. She loves the car. I previously had Citroen Xsara with same auto box as Clio, again no problems. With my s/h Xsara I did the recommended change of 1/3 of fluid at 90,000km which gave slight improvement but there was really no issue. You MUST use the recommended ATF fluid, don't try alternatives. If you are used to manual you will find the change-down at traffic lights or down-hill with the autobox quite normal but some people find it disconcerting. A test drive will show the effect.

Is the Clio auto the same transmission as in the C3?

Thread Information