05 Megane dying on take off
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 05 Megane dying on take off

We have a 2005 Megane and we are having problem getting the local dealer sorting the problem. Intermittently the car falters when you first take off. Like when you decide to turn across a stream of traffic, you take your foot off the brake and accelerate and the engine completely dies.If you're lucky the car hasn't rolled far enough into the traffic so that you are hit. First time we raised it the dealer ignored it but second time, with some insistence, they worked on it for two days. They solved the problem for a couple of thousand km but it has come back.
    They have - cleaned the throttle body, reset ECU, reset auto trans adaptives and ensured any injection or auto trans updates are done.
    Any ideas?
    We don,t fancy being wiped out because Renault can't service their cars properly

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

A friends Hyundai was doing exactly as you described. The dealer could not locate anything wrong.
    I recommended replacing the ignition coils (there were 2 on that model), and the problem was cured.

(The dealer was sceptical, so they fitted a couple off one of the cars in their used car lot...)

Cheers
    spiz

Could be a number of things.

I'll suggest 2 of my initial thoughts.

Firstly, it's possibly a fuel regulator or pressure sensor fault where the pump is building pressure but it's being let back to the tank as the reg' or sensor thinking there's too much pressure. I am led to believe the fuel system has both the regulator and sensor but that sounds like overkill but p[possible. Have the fuel pressure checked with all lines connected then block off the return line and check it again.

Secondly, there maybe pressure issues with the auto also. This should have shown a fault though on the ECU. Did they read all faults before resetting it? Have them re-read the codes as it does show up if faulty. few hundred dollars repair and an easy fix.

If cleaning the throttle body helped,maybe there's a leak there that's letting in dirt/contaminants or possibly just a leak that was fixed when they moved things and it's back now after it settled. Possibly check it with some 'start-ya-bastard spray shot around the inlet. if the car's idle increases when it's sprayed at joints, it's sucking outside air in, mucking up the air:fuel ratios.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by 2louse View Post
    we are having problem....... Intermittently the car falters when .........
    In defence of the people who have not diagnosed your car issue, intermittant faults are a right PITA to find unless you are there when it stuffs up, or better yet have the diagnosis computer connected when it stuffs up and can read the specific fault codes at that single moment.
    One alternative is to just start replacing parts like col packs, fuel pump,fuel pressure reg, coolant sensor TPS or throttle sender, but that parts list can run into the multi thousands and still not address the issue if say the issue was a dodgy earth on the the fuel pump wire, so be careful what you wish for.

GO for the likely suspects first, (and cheaply if at all possible.)
    Spit'z suggestion of trying a new set of coils of another car has financial merit. Even try and borrow a set if you can and want to try the fix yourself.

Coil packs are a well known issue on modern renaults and they are heat affected in their failure, so this might account for the intermittent nature.

Good luck, Jo

Yep - I would press the dealer to fit new coils as a precautionary/diagnostic measure.

Does it tend to falter when its properly warmed up? If its more prone when you have been out and about for a while (especially building up heat in the engine bay by sitting around in heavy traffic) it will help make the coil case.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Whether the issue is intermittent or there all the time, the ECU should have a fault code for whatever the issue is.
    Has the engine light or transmission light illuminated when the fault presents? You never mentioned it so it's unlikely.

IMO, the coil issue is not anywhere near the severity people make it out to be.{bit like a few people complaining about a gearbox issue that 99.9% of the time is cr@ppy maintainence issues anyway}
    Looking at the coils in the Scenic when I had them out, I believe most common fault could be water ingress or even over zealous oil refilling. Whether it totally kills the coils or they are just being replaced when they 'look' busted is another thing.
    Renault do have equipment that is able to test each coil individually to find if any are faulty; press the dealer to do this instead of the stupid idea of replace at any cost option. Clean the coils if not faulty, regrease the rubber ring and refit{it's all in the service documents}. Simple really.

The UK guys are having issues with fuel pressure in Meganes at the moment and apparently, Renault are having a problem supplying replacement sensors/regulators so maybe get them to check what's happening o/s too??
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for your help.
    We have an issue with the Megane dying when its cold or after it has been driven around for a while.
    When we had a Clio, one of the things the dealer did was replace the four ignition coils to solve a problem with the Clio intermittantly going into limp mode. It actually took them three attempts to solve the problem. It was eventually solved.
    Thanks Hong Kong Puggy for your suggestions. I'll check what I can then send the Megane back to them with a list of things to try.
    Whilst I have some issues with my Renault dealer, if I have any problems with my C5 the Citroen dealer always seems to be able to diagnose the problem over the phone when I book it in. If only Seymours were still at Roseville!

You can the car elsewhere too cant you? Try Colliers automotive.

Tadpole

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney View Post
    You can (take) the car elsewhere too cant you? Try Colliers automotive.
    Woohoo. Its been a while since you've put a plug in, Daniel.
    I'd second that suggestion.

Jo

Thread Information