Laguna frustrating AC and Cat problems
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Laguna frustrating AC and Cat problems

Fellow froggers. The AC on the laguna1 died today. Had a feel of the AC pipes in the engine bay and they are not cold. Figured, no gas in the system.

Now given I only regassed the system in April, I guess there is a leak. Also when the AC was working OK there was a hiss sound from in the dash area when the switch was on. Any ideas what to check as AC would be good in summer as the car is awful to drive with open windows.

Unrelated problem, the Cat in the car has decided to break apart giving the car an annoying rattle, any ideas for a source of replacement cat?

Advertisement

Hiss is normal - its the gas being depressurised in the evaporator (PV=NRT )

Look for oil staining at any of the innumerable joints - one at the firewall/TX valve under the master cylinder, another along the back of engine somewhere, another up around the left strut tower, Schraeder valves near the left strut, compressor front seal, compressor connections, drier to the right of the condenser under the right headlight etc etc.

Catalytic converter - do your bit for global warming and knock its innards out (it converts hydrocarbons into co2 among other things - take your pick of issues important to you, CO2 emissions or smog in cities )
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Dave Cavanagh directed me to an exhaust place in Airport West who will replace the cat converter, with a steel replacement (after market) at a reasonable price that will withstand the ravages of fuel impurities and recover itself, unlike the ceramic variety that stuffs up.

For me, its far better to fit a new converter, than risk a random road check as the fine for monkeying with the cat is pretty steep, not to mention the effect on the environment and air quality you live in.

Can't help with the A/C apart from suggesting a regas with a leak trace dye to suss out the place that is leaking in the system. Give it Haakon's inspection for signs of leaking first, it might just be seals that need replacing.

Ken

Administrator

Not sure how the HVAC system works in a Laguna, but if the hiss was continuous, I would probably be looking for a vacuum leak in one of the flap actuators (if it has vacuum actuators).

I know the hiss Haakon is refering to and it usaually only lasts a second or two while the compressor builds up pressure/vacuum on different sides of the system.

If there are no signs of a leak, you could start with the fuse. There will be a compressor fuse somewhere and if that blows, there is a good chance the electric clutch is drawing too much current and will need replacing (probably the whole compressor as a unit)

Tadpole

Thanks for the replys guys, the hiss reminds me of a vacuum leak so the actuator flaps could be the culprit - it tends to go away after a while so that is probably it. Will check the other areas for any sign. The AC was almost working today, very slight cooling and the hiss but the compressor was on so I will top it up again and see how long it stays cool for.

Will talk to DC about an after market replacement. Did consier the other method but that would probably cause problems in the long run.

The car itself wont notice or care if the cat has been gutted, but there is the (remote) chance you might get pinged for it. Mind you, an old Laguna is not exactly a cop magnet!

If it is still cooling a little, and the compressor is engaging, the system is probably ok but low on gas. Leaks to be found somewhere...

Our resident AC experts should chime in here. But if it were I, I would find a new receiver/drier and get it refilled with HyChill once the leak is identified.

cooldrive.com.au out in Box Hill list the drier on their wed catalogue, part number RD0111. Its a Laguna 1 specific item unfortunately...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Cerantic cats usually go for around$350 and steel cats $450 fitted, both high flow.( generatic).

My dyno runs(in an MX5 not a laguna) indicate a 4 RWKW advantage in a steel high flow Cat.

I am sure that either would solve your problem if it is the cat. Most have life of around 10 years so the probability is high.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

For the AC as your near Kyneton I'd take it mathesons! They put different (cheap) gas in the system to find the leak! Then fix it and put the proper gas in it!

How will the coppers know if the cat is empty? My cat was empty when i got the car, it has a nice pipe welded through the middle so doesn't even sound like its missing. You can even hit it (when its cold) and it doesn't sound empty! How do they know?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    How will the coppers know if the cat is empty?
    They trawl through french car forums waiting for local youths to brag that they have an empty cat and then they pull over their prey (an Mi16 in this case.....when it actually runs that is) and then:

Insert evil tyrant laugh here :

JEE thanks Richard! And I thought you where one of the nice ones, now i realise there aren't any .

You've pulled me over tens of times and never noticed the missing cat so how do you actually do it (without the aid french car forums)
    I bet most of the holdens getting around with incredibily ugly big wheels on the front and crappy stockies on the back are un rwc too! Most of them probably don't even have cats, anymore. Anyway the point of that is that this isn't a holden forum so how do you know about they're cats?

Anyway i wasn't bragging about the cat just stating that it can be done neatly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    They trawl through french car forums waiting for local youths to brag that they have an empty cat and then they pull over their prey (an Mi16 in this case.....when it actually runs that is) and then:

Insert evil tyrant laugh here :

You've got him crapping himself now Richard and the car is still off the road getting its engine swaped.
    He has been driving his GF's Astra just so you wont recognise him
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

JEE thanks Richard! And I thought you where one of the nice ones, now i realise there aren't any .

You've pulled me over tens of times and never noticed the missing cat so how do you actually do it (without the aid french car forums)
    I bet most of the holdens getting around with incredibily ugly big wheels on the front and crappy stockies on the back are un rwc too! Most of them probably don't even have cats, anymore. Anyway the point of that is that this isn't a holden forum so how do you know about they're cats?

Anyway i wasn't bragging about the cat just stating that it can be done neatly!!!
    Whooo, hooo .... That's it, go in for the attack, that'll get him onside next time your pulled over Or you could shift to Ballarat, the likelyhood of being pulled over would be on par with winning tattslotto 3weeks in a row.

I'm surprised the air-con gurus on here haven't posted here yet. If the suction and discharge lines on the compressor are not hot/cold, the air-con isn't working (or it's not switched on). By checking this way you have taken the mixer flap in the dash out of the equation.

What is possible is the pressure switch has died, preventing the compressor kicking in. More likely is the gas has leaked away tripping the low pressure switch preventing the compressor ever kicking in (an easy way to check is to short the wires across the pressure sensor).

Do you have any gauges you can hook up and check the readings on ?? Gas being there and static pressure existing doesn't mean there is enough gas to alllow the air-con to work. If it's all nice and clean under the bonnet, you may well spot the leak yourself (oil staining). Have a look at the condensor out infront of the radiator and see if there is any oily/dirty patches on it. If it's been looked at before there will most likely be a leak tracing dye in there. You can buy a UV globe from Dick Smiths for you leadlight ..... After dark check for any dye around all the connections and hoses.

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Administrator

You should know me better than that by now....

You've pulled me over tens of times and never noticed the missing cat so how do you actually do it (without the aid french car forums)?
    I usually just pull you over to abuse you for driving a Peugeot...

Most TMU cars have an infrared thermometer that is used for checking the brake function on trucks.

If you aim it at an operational cat it will usually be substantially hotter than the exhaust behind it.

If you aim it at the cat and it is the same temperature or just a touch hotter (ie - closer to the engine) then it is probably empty and we can fill out an EPA notice where your car will have to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    You should know me better than that by now....

I usually just pull you over to abuse you for driving a Peugeot...

Most TMU cars have an infrared thermometer that is used for checking the brake function on trucks.

If you aim it at an operational cat it will usually be substantially hotter than the exhaust behind it.

If you aim it at the cat and it is the same temperature or just a touch hotter (ie - closer to the engine) then it is probably empty and we can fill out an EPA notice where your car will have to be tested.
    Well in between working and being on aussiefrogs I answer phones, sometimes get annoying copppers trying to buy cats for my car, and don't even know what year it is, suprised he knew it was an mi16.

What makes you think i know you that well? I've only known you all my life!! And your the jerk who got me into Fuego's (i saw your white one and wanted one)!
    Which is also the reason I drive peugeots, That and leather is easier to get!!

I was wondering how you'd test CATS. Well now it seems like im gunna have to insulate the rest of the exhaust!

Administrator

And your the jerk who got me into Fuego's!!
    Well, for 4 days anyway....

I had about 5 before that one. Alas it was the best one

1000+ Posts

Icon6 If Richard don't get you Murphy law will!!

cav91

Take a leaf out of my book and just replace the Cat, or Murphy's law will kick in!! its probably your luck to run into an EPA road block and get tested with an exhaust gas analyser and issued a heft fine for dangerous to the environment emissions.

Dear old Dad will provide $ a week out of the wages....

Ken

at the moment i dont need to change the cat! the car isn't going!!

Unfortunately the matrix for the aircond behind the dash can leak. It is not uncommon (neither is the cat). This requires the dash out to replace it. I think the part was about $1000+. Be careful pulling out the instruments. They have to stay upright. Good luck.
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Thread Information