Megane losing power again (very frustrating)
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Megane losing power again (very frustrating)

I'm having yet another recurrence of a problem which is proving very difficult to resolve.

The Megane is losing power, particularly under load. Tackle a reasonably sized hill or try to pass somebody adn the revs drop in spite of being buried up to your ankle in the firewall. Usually it stops when you back off, but it goes from happening under maximum loads to normal driving.

Advertisement

This first happened around this time last year, I recall it was a very hot Tuesday afternoon, I had left work to go to cricket and after stalling at Sydney Road, I just made it onto the Craigieburn Bypass when it stopped again. It took about 3 hours to get home, at times I could get it to idle speed in 6th and putter along for a bit before shitting itself. I had run the tank very low that day and thought it must been something to do with that.

The next time it happened was in March, about 30 minutes from Canberra. I had driven from Melbourne with no problems, before breaking down in Murrumbateman and finishing the trip in 1-5 minute bursts as the car allowed. There were no problems the next day, where I made it to Batemans Bay, and other than a couple of little blips on the way back, the problem disappeared again.

Until now... out of nowhere, it shat itself when I was on the other side of the road, trying to pass someone on the way to Yea on Saturday. I had been on the road for about an hour. I was lucky enough to make it to Yea and back without any problems (considering the lack of phone reception up that way) and had an uneventful run to work on Monday. It returned on Tuesday, a bit worse than before, in that it was happening when trying to accelerate normally.

I've mentioned it at previous servicing but of course, nothign can be found as it's so intermittent and only seems to happen after I've been going for an hour or more.

Any ideas what this might be? I suspect it's electrical (or electronic) or fuel-related.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuel contamination?

My outright guess is that it is related to fuel contamination.

That is exactly the symptoms our Camry had when it had fuel contamination and the catalytic converter was eventually replaced among other things. When it got hot the back pressure in the exhaust system would choke the engine and cause it to stall constantly.

Hopefully you should be able to isolate and eliminate this if it is the problem.

Ken.

Blocked fuel filter? Kinked fuel line/return line. Venting system blocked???

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I'd also be checking the ignition coils - I'm guessing your engine has one coil per cylinder.
    It used to be that coils lasted forever and plugs were consumable.

It seems the latest Renaults - scenics, laguna etc, the plugs last ages, the coils less so.
    The bad news is that the coils are up to $100ea - they can be found cheaper on eBay.
    It's also unlikely the home mechanic can test them other than by replacement one by one, and a dealer will happily change all four at your expense and still not solve the problem so be aware of that.

I bought six coils for my V6 Laguna from Ireland of all places.
    KB
    KB

Default Megane losing power again

I had a similar problem with my 2 Litre Laguna series 2. It only happened when the tank was less than half full, and only when I had travelled at freeway speed for an hour or so.

I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty, and a few months later, just out of warranty, it happened again halfway between Bendigo and Melb.

I took off the fuel cap and some air rushed in and I thought "ha ha". I replaced the cap and down the road it died again. I then loosened the cap and drove home without any problems. That became the cure when on future long trips it recurred - always with a low fuel level.

A year ago I treated the fuel system with a Neways product called ROIL and your post made me realise that my problem has not recurred since then in spite of many long trips.

Worth a try - good luck!

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'd also be checking the ignition coils - I'm guessing your engine has one coil per cylinder.
    It used to be that coils lasted forever and plugs were consumable.

It seems the latest Renaults - scenics, laguna etc, the plugs last ages, the coils less so.
    The bad news is that the coils are up to $100ea - they can be found cheaper on eBay.
    It's also unlikely the home mechanic can test them other than by replacement one by one, and a dealer will happily change all four at your expense and still not solve the problem so be aware of that.

I bought six coils for my V6 Laguna from Ireland of all places.
    KB
    Just had a look at these - a full set of 4 can be obtained from the UK for about $85 inc postage, but they all appear to be non-genuine. Would this be a problem?

Sounds fuel delivery related.

What year model is it?

Fuel pressure regulators in Meganes particularly are proving to be problematic in the UK at least.

Have the fuel pressure checked and try to get a non-genuine part if possible.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, certainly doesn't sound like the symptons I have experienced with coil failure in Clio and Laguna,that was more like a normal missing engine.'

Good luck with the fix sounds like fuel and I had a similiar experience years ago in a Lancer Rally car and a small hole drilled in the cap fixed it.Had the air lock as described in an earlier post.

How many klms have you put on it now? Have seen it(my old car) around Geelong east a few times since you have had it.

Peter.

Does the car have a TPS???

The fuego once presented similar problems and it turned out to be the TPS was faulty.
    The ECU was not giving the fuel injectors the correct map because it thought I was still at idle.

So it turned out to be a fuel problem, but its origins were in typical renault style, electrical.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pclio View Post
    I agree, certainly doesn't sound like the symptons I have experienced with coil failure in Clio and Laguna,that was more like a normal missing engine.'

Good luck with the fix sounds like fuel and I had a similiar experience years ago in a Lancer Rally car and a small hole drilled in the cap fixed it.Had the air lock as described in an earlier post.

How many klms have you put on it now? Have seen it(my old car) around Geelong east a few times since you have had it.

Peter.
    That would be me, my mother moved to East Geelong a few years ago.

I'm up to 180,000 at a couple of weeks ago, so that's around 160,000 in 3.5 years, though I've slowed down a bit in the last year or so now that I don't drive from home to Ballarat 3 times a fortnight. There haven't been too many problems thus far, just a couple of niggly issues like this one.

When you mention drilling a hole in the "cap", does that mean the silver hinged trapdoor you push back with the nozzle?

@ HKP: 2005 if that helps.

@ Jo: Not sure what a TPS is, but guessing it's a Total P....... System by the sound of things.

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    @ Jo: Not sure what a TPS is, but guessing it's a Total P....... System by the sound of things.
    Throttle position switch.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Ah, right, nowhere near it!

Fellow Frogger!

Chodaboy I sold the car to you.I wouldn't be drilling anything but just making the observation that it sounds more like a fuel/throttle ailment than coils as was suggested.When I changed to Webbers on the Lancer way back then i had the job done at Coltspeed in Sydney, it stopped a few times on the way home until about Dubbo until I heard the air rush, left the fuel cap off and no more dramas on the way home, but drilled a hole in the cap and all was ok.

Seems like a similiar issue but a million years away in technological developement so TPS way be worth investigating.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Default Dead CAT?

I've heard of these symptoms twice in the last week and both times they've turned out to be CAT problems.
    I don't know the age of the car in question but apparently you can have a sick or dead CAT up your exhaust pipe stuffing things up. Occasionally it will roll over and clear the way or roll back and block things up entirely. When it does that it acts like an exhaust brake and you're lucky to go anywhere except at snails pace. Then it's fine until you put your foot down again...
    This may not be the problem but it might be cheaper to rule this out first and you may find it's already been fixed. Then you can decide you either need to fix your CAT or leave it alone.
    I didn't even know I had a CAT until I found out about this. Some people don't like them but I've heard it's a big fine if you are cruel to them and try to whack them out.
    The guy I know ended up getting a new CAT and it was purring in no time.

Stu
    2008 Grand Scenic
    2000 Xantia SX
    :2006 Disco 3
    :mercedes: 1992 300TE
    Previous
    1974 12GL
    1974 17TL
    1976 12GL Wagon
    1974 17TS
    1982 20TS
    1986 25GTX

Default Temp sensor?

Another possibility, my 2002 Laguna V6 was doing something very similar to this last summer. On particularly hot days it would suddenly lose power. Engine didn't cut out, it would just suddenly lose power. A few seconds later, all okay, until it did it again a bit further down the road.

When it was put on the diagnostic tool it came up with the message "incoherent temperature sensor". A quick clean of the electrical connector to the engine temp sensor cured the problem. It has not occurred since.

If only all my problems were so easy to fix.

Fellow Frogger!

It appears we may have had this problem fixed. Renault have had the car for 4 days during which they couldn't find any trace of a problem. They were about to give up when the mechanic was driving at 80 on the freeway, put his foot down and the Megane shat itself.

I didn't follow the entire explanation but apparently a throttle component's attachments to the relevant wires were corroded and one wasn't earthing properly, resulting in a lack of fuel when under load. Said wires have been replaced. They are pretty confident this is the source of the issue - if not, the throttle part itself will be replaced.

I'm going to collect it today, so hopefully I make the 70km back home without a hassle.

I didn't follow the entire explanation but apparently a throttle component's attachments to the relevant wires were corroded and one wasn't earthing properly, resulting in a lack of fuel when under load.

Good to hear it is sorted for now.

Did they quote you on a new throttle??
    That could be an ouch moment, so I hope this fix works.
    It is prudent to make sure the wires are secured with cable ties and not wobbling around with inertia, which can lead to premature failure,especialy where the wire exits the sensor.

Jo

Lets hope this is the end of the Megane saga?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Good to hear it is sorted for now.

Did they quote you on a new throttle??
    That could be an ouch moment, so I hope this fix works.
    It is prudent to make sure the wires are secured with cable ties and not wobbling around with inertia, which can lead to premature failure,especialy where the wire exits the sensor.

Jo
    Yep, about 600 for a new throttle.

I'm picking the car up this morning, so the acid test will come tonight on the way home from work. I certainly hope this is the end of it too, because there's not much worse than spending every second you drive thinking to yourself "Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it..."

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    which, of course, is inevitable unless it does do it!
    At least now if it does "do it" you'll now know which wire to fiddle with to get it to 'not do it'.

Jo

Yep, about 600 for a new throttle.
    I had a similar repair done to my '04 Clio a few years ago. Similar symptoms to yours - the car would choke on acceleration, then go into limp home mode for a while, then return to normal. It seemed to be worse during hot weather and when cruising at highway speed.

I took it to my usual repairer and they said the CPU had registered a throttle body error. They replaced the throttle for about $300 and cleared the CPU. All was well for about 1 month and then the problem reappeared.

I didn't want to pour more money down the drain so I pulled off the CPU cable and VERY gently and VERY slightly bent the cable pins off axis. This improves contact between the cable and the CPU. I read about this being a common issue on a UK Renault forum. Anyway, 2 years later I have not had the problem reappear. I can only assume that the CPU was not relaying or receiving instructions correctly because of a poor connection.

Fingers are still crossed tho........
    Last edited by Philby; 11th February 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: edited 'cos I couldn't understand myself!

I had a similar problem with my Spider, replaced the fuel filter and all was good again. Fuel pressure is monitored by the ECU and blocked or partially blocked fuel filters can cause all sorts of grief. They are also relatively cheap and dead easy to replace so worth considering.

Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Thread Information