Laguna V6 Bonnet latch - concern.
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Laguna V6 Bonnet latch - concern.

Today I had the Laguna out during the big Melbourne Rainstorm, The rain bucketed down and as we drove along the Freeway, the whole freeway surface was flooding as the storm water tried to get away, and as the Laguna crossed the waves of water, the yellow Stability control symbol activated on the dash display several times. With the wind and rain buffeting the car, the whole freeway traffic was forced to slow down dramatically.

I had been demonstrating the cruise control setting on the Laguna at 100 kph, to a Today Tonight cameraman, but cut the demonstration run short due to the extreme weather. We drove back to where the rest of the crew were parked and dropped the cameraman off, and as we did so the driver of that vehicle mentioned that our bonnet was partly up.

It seems that due to the buffeting, at some stage the bonnet had popped, The car certainly had reacted to the heavy water on the road, and you could feel the transfer of the forces with the stability control activation, it appears this twisting action had released the bonnet catch from its locked position, though the hook held.

This is some concern to us as we had the unfortunate experience early last year, with the bonnet actually flying up at 100 kph due to the buffeting pressure wave from two large dumper style trucks as we drove back to Echuca from Sydney. The bonnet flew up, turned inside out and badly damaged the turret top of the car, cracked the windscreen, dislodged parts and the grille etc. Caused us quite a shock at the time and also considerable expense to our insurers.

Advertisement

A new bonnet, grille, windscreen, and other parts were fitted and all the damage paneled out and we have been very particular about ensuring the bonnet is properly locked down ever since. My concern now is that the bonnet latch and hook system may not be up to extreme buffeting, and I don't want the same thing to happen again as I am sure that it would lead to the Laguna being written off due to the cost of fixing such damage.

I am concerned enough, that I think we need to make sure this cannot happen and perhaps a report to Renault may be in order as it was a completely new bonnet and latch fitted, (or so I am told by the repairers) RACV insurance approved. We also noticed that the windscreen is apparently leading on the passengers side, so that will require resealing. It was fixed June July last year and while we have done lots of kilometres this is the most severe adverse weather we have driven in.

Any suggestions as we are concerned. There are lock down catches of the type used on racing cars, but I'd rather not fit those, is there anything else commercially available that are less obvious and would give peace of mind, as we don't want to go through that experience again.

Ken.

awww....go the racing pins! Then you can say you can't undo them in public on advice from your lawyer!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

you have to redesign the locking catch to provide positive restraint to the bonnet, ie: a pin through the locking tongue or similar arrangement - should be a simple enough exercise for a man of your talents wasting away in relaxing retirement

These catches letting go is a worry to those of us that have been caught out, but the fear subsides as time lengthens - until someone you know gets caught !!

We don't need the reminder mate, OK.

cheers,
    Bob

I'd suggest raising the rubber pads to prevent the bonnet moving when latched.

1000+ Posts

Default Oh No.

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    awww....go the racing pins! Then you can say you can't undo them in public on advice from your lawyer!
    The girl......Patrick thread......you been spending too much time with your new son!!

Bob - Ive been thinking along those lines of a positive added spring tension.

Ken

Electromagnetic switch?
    KB

I want to know more about the cameraman :-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Default Patient and understanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    I want to know more about the cameraman :-)
    Yeah, some of the footage is on the redflex camera thread in Froggy chat, and also on the Channel Seven Today tonight clips, all about the odd situation we have in Victoria with dodgy speed cameras. (rather not have been involved in the whole thing I can tell you!), though nice to win through in the end.

Cameraman was a very nice chap!, very patient. He decided to scrap the outside freeway shots of the Laguna when the rain absolutely pelted down though!!

Ken.

Ken, a word to Renault might be the way to go.
    The recall on the fuel rail in the Rx4 Scenic was due in part to an a/f member at the time suffering an engine bay fire and alerting Renault to the issue. It'd be back in the archive somewhere I am sure.
    If you think it's an issue, I am sure the quiet mention of your association with certain media outlets would add some positive spin to your arguement.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Ken, a word to Renault might be the way to go.
    The recall on the fuel rail in the Rx4 Scenic was due in part to an a/f member at the time suffering an engine bay fire and alerting Renault to the issue. It'd be back in the archive somewhere I am sure.
    If you think it's an issue, I am sure the quiet mention of your association with certain media outlets would add some positive spin to your arguement.
    HKP

I will do a bit more investigation to see if I can determine a fault, then photograph and write to Renault, it could just be that the repairers might not have put the tension right to keep it secured, or something more obvious. I certainly would like to work with Renault on this if there IS a problem with the latching.

and to the others who put forward suggestions, thank you for them, I will certainly be looking at some fail safe method, if only just for peace of mind.

Ken

Pretty old car in a tiny market at the arse end of the world - be very very very surprised if they care!

Mikees comment about it being properly adjusted is a good one. I very much doubt there is a design fault. Bad luck, poor adjustment and poor assembly by the panel beaters being primary suspects here.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Not too much info here, maybe it'll help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

looks similar to old Fug lock ! are they still using the same basic system ?

If so, the addition of an interlocked pin through the tongue is a practical solution.

cheers,
    Bob

WHat happened to the pedestrian safety twin side catch like on the goon1??

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    WHat happened to the pedestrian safety twin side catch like on the goon1??

Jo
    $....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information