Renault AUS - October 2010 Auto Sales:
  • Help

Icon4 Renault AUS - October 2010 Auto Sales:

Not sure if you guys have someone that does this for you, but I just thought I'd post the figures up for people that are interested.

Renault Australia: October 2010:

Clio - 14
    Fluence - 2
    Megane - 33
    Laguna - 18
    Koleos SUV - 74
    Kangoo - 6
    Trafic - 19
    Master - 10

Total - 177 units

Y.T.D sales - 1,487 units

Advertisement

Default not real good numers

These are pretty poor numbers. Lets hope the new range and sharper pricing are enough to sales increase.
    The cars look more mainstream just disappointing on the new range the engine lacks the punch of it rivals and again no diesel options to start with.
    In saying that Volvo have now dropped S40 C30 and V50 2.0 lt diesel from the range with only the C30 hatch offering 1.6 manual only diesel.
    Maybe Renault should look at smaller petrol engines 1.8 or 1.4 turbo charged motors which would be more entertaining to drive than old 2.0 slugomatic.

Tadpole

Frankly those sales aren't surprising as long as Renault Australia have almost no presence advertising their range on TV (saw my first ad for the new Megane on 10 last night). Plus there still seems to be some confusion as to what market they are selling to (is it the upwardly mobile, the Euro-fan, young women...what?).

Having said that Drive have announced the RS250 as the Under $60K performance car of the year and the Megane was nominated for Best Small Car (losing out to the VW Golf), so perhaps that'll push things along.

Would also help if there was a few more dealers out there...

Default agreed

having sold Renault's for about 4 years I couldnt agree more on the advertising and most TV ads were euro ads and pretty lame.
    The dealer network seems to be shrinking if anything. As sales slow multi franchise dealers will drop the weakest link and in most cases that would seem to be the renault franchise.
    I am hoping the new range and fresh advertising will get people in the door at to see the cars and experience them first hand

Tadpole

It's a bit like the chicken and the egg problem...without plenty of dealers selling a decent range of new product then the demand created by ads won't be met, or conversely if you have minimal dealerships having minimal PR support from Renault plus new product then that too will hit sales.

Seems to me that as usual there is a too 'low key' approach being taken by Renault from both sides of the same sales problem; insufficient marketing and insufficient product and sales outlets. Case in point western Sydney has no dealership north of PW at Warwick Farm or west of Rick Damelian at Leichhardt...that means Parramatta, Blacktown, Penrith, the Hills District and the Hawkesbury which has a combined population of at least a million has no local Renault dealer. Citroen and Peugeot both have a presence in Parramatta which immediately puts them on the front foot in a huge metropolitan car buyers market.

I just wonder what could be the impact if head office back in France gave Renault Australia enough money to get sponsorship of a local football team or sporting event that would at least allow a different PR thrust room to push the brand. After all if Skoda can support the new GWS AFL team why not have Renault doing the same for a NRL, AFL or A-League team?

So what can be done to get people into Renault showrooms??

Bread and butter Clio models are a must if there is any chance of Renault having any sort of chance of survival in Australia.

A lot of the cometition are dropping their 3dr hatch models and replacing them with sedans. The Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2 and Holden Barina are examples that now offer a sedan instead of a 3dr hatchback. Then there is the Honda City sedan, Toyota Yaris sedan, Kia Rio sedan and Nissan will release a sedan version of the Micra, so maybe a Clio 5dr hatch and the Thalia sedan could be on offer for the Australian market?

Renault seems to favour sedans for the Australian market, so maybe this could fit in with Renault's plans for Australia.

Also, now that the Laguna hatch and wagon are on the way out in Australia and to be replaced by the Latitude sedan from South Korea, this finally could open the door to finally import the Megane wagon to Australia.

It's only competitors are the Volkswagen Golf, Peugeot 308 and Hyundai i30. A diesel Megane wagon would be a great vehicle to have in the local lineup.

Also, with the next generation Clio, maybe there is a chance that it will be built and sold in South Korea as a Samsung SM1? and make it another import to Australia with the Fluence and Koleos.

Sorry, I'm just rambling .....

Renault did sponser Collingwood in the AFL for a short time.
    I have said for years a Megane wagon would be good out here but the message back was not in the future plans. Far too long Renault have been stuck only offering small-mid sized cars . They need to be in the small (clio or Modus) car market with base model affordable models and I feel the Latitude could be the next Mitsi 380 right car wrong time.
    Finally no seven seater anymore or are we getting the new grand scenic ?

Quote Originally Posted by RickHy View Post
    Finally no seven seater anymore or are we getting the new grand scenic ?
    I bloody well hope we are or we'll be looking elsewhere at trade in time. Heard a rumour of a 7 seater Koleos - which isn't a solution in my opinion.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Default Renault sales figures

I've been selling Renaults ever since I bought one in 1967. The enthusiasm of we owners then appeared to be somewhat stronger than it is now, because we had no sales figures to go by, just the number of Regies you saw on the road.

We'd pull up any "unknown" Renault on the side of the road and ask it's owner how was he/she enjoying their car and after determining they sort of liked it would immediately ask them to come to a meeting of my local Renault Car Club. So would all my brother/sister Renault owners.

In about three years we went from eight original RCCD members to over 160 in one little area of Victoria.
    That was brought about by enthusiasm, not complaining about sales figures in a forum! The internet didn't exist!

If you are really serious about our beloved marque, turn off your I Pods, get off your arses and speak with some enthusiasm to people you work/live/sleep with about why they should be driving a Renault. If you don't know why you are driving a Renault, why are you driving a Renault?

Kim

P.S.: I might look like a Tadpole but I'm a bloody cane toad!
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 26th November 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: I forgot the P.S.!

Fellow Frogger!

That's all very well but back then you had some Renault product you could get enthusiastic about.

I am a Renault nut from way back, have owned 12, 18 and 20. My partner and I tried to buy a Clio in 2002, the dealer told us to go away and sell our trade in and come back when it was sold. We said we wanted to trade it in, not stuff around with selling it, and were very realistic about what price trade in to expect. He wouldn't listen and would not even give us a figure for a trade in value. OK it was a Lada Niva but it was one of the best Nivas on the road and we didn't expect much for it.
    We re-assessed our options and found a two year old SB Barina (the European built model) for several thousand $ less than the Renault and still got a reasonable trade in for the Niva. A couple of weeks after we bought the Barina, the Renault dealer phoned up to ask if we had sold the Niva. I explained we had told him in no uncertain terms that he had to trade the Niva to get a sale, and that we had now bought another car. He seemed miffed.

The Barina has been a fabulous little car but it now has 230000 km on the clock and I'd like my partner's car to have a few more airbags, plus ABS and stability control and a diesel engine. We can get a VW Polo that fills the bill almost perfectly, or now a Cit C3. (Pug also have the 207 though I don't like it at all.)

So where is the Clio Diesel hatch ? Or a Megane diesel hatch?

It is frustrating for us long term Renault fans that there are some great Renault models being made, but they are not available in Australia. How can we enthusiastically go out and encourage our friends to buy a Renault when only a truly pathetic range is available in this country?

If there had been a Megane diesel wagon available in 2007 I would have bought one. There wasn't, so I now have a Peugeot 307 diesel wagon. I think there would be a lot more Renaults sold in this country if there were a decent mix of models and a few more dealers. It's not rocket science.
    Last edited by simca1100; 26th November 2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: raving on a bit more.

Same here. At Easter this year we went to replace a 5 year old Ford Fiesta. Went into the closest Renault dealer (still a bloody long way away from our 10km from capital city GPO addresss) and all they could offer were Clio sports (great for buckling kids in the back - NOT), 3 year old diesel Megane sedans that had never been sold or Koleoii by the bucketload.

Coming from a Fiesta we didn't want a Koleos, weren't really keen on a 3 year old diesel Megane sedan and so we wandered down the road to the Peugeot dealer for a look see.

Low and behold, the only thing they didn't have on the floor was a 207 petrol hatch (none in the country at the time were were told - later verified with another dealer). We could drive pretty well any version of the 308 in petrol or diesel and we got the one in the signature block below. So . . . Renault won't get a sale for a number of years for our smaller car.

We both love the Scenic, it is really practical and versatile which meets our needs. We would love to have bought a Megane diesel hatch this year but couldn't. I'm betting that when the Grand Scenic replacement time comes around, Renault again won't have the replacement - leading us to either the 308 wagon or a Picassio.

Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    Same here. At Easter this year we went to replace a 5 year old Ford Fiesta. Went into the closest Renault dealer (still a bloody long way away from our 10km from capital city GPO addresss) and all they could offer were Clio sports (great for buckling kids in the back - NOT), 3 year old diesel Megane sedans that had never been sold or Koleoii by the bucketload..
    Thats exactly the same as my experience at col crawfords in sydney.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Saw a full page ad following Drive's best luxury car win under $60K (with some other awards) in yesterday's Herald.

Good to see them trying when they have a good story to tell.

Same here. At Easter this year we went to replace a 5 year old Ford Fiesta.
    What was wrong with the Fiesta?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    What was wrong with the Fiesta?
    Basically electrical issues, fuel consumption and crappy trim. We had the car back at a dealer under warranty a few times when the engine management light came on but they couldn't find anything logged (despite "trying" for a couple of days). The engine was starting to completely lose power for a second or so while moving which was at least disconcerting and we suspected the electrical gremlins weren't going to go away without a lot of dollars and time being spent

The car did (and the 308 does) lots of small trips in the city to the detriment of fuel consumption (400 ks max in the Ford to a 40 odd litre tank while the 308 diesel is doing 800 ks out of a 60 litre tank). I should add here that my wife - who drove it more than I did is a timorous driver - I doubt if she has ever had a car at the redline.

There was also the apparently "known" problem of the black plastic trim pieces beside the doors falling off. We also had an internal door trim replaced under warranty after someone pulled the handle to shut the door and the catches gave way. While the body seemed well built, there was a fair bit of motor and road noise as well.

It also missed out on Cruise (the car was used occasionally for longer trips), ESP, power windows in the back and good air conditioning - despite being a Ghia with the optional "safety pack".

The 308 is also slightly bigger - handy where there are now two small kids and their crap to carry around!

Same here. At Easter this year we went to replace a 5 year old Ford Fiesta. Went into the closest Renault dealer (still a bloody long way away from our 10km from capital city GPO addresss) and all they could offer were Clio sports (great for buckling kids in the back - NOT), 3 year old diesel Megane sedans that had never been sold or Koleoii by the bucketload.

Coming from a Fiesta we didn't want a Koleos, weren't really keen on a 3 year old diesel Megane sedan and so we wandered down the road to the Peugeot dealer for a look see.

Low and behold, the only thing they didn't have on the floor was a 207 petrol hatch (none in the country at the time were were told - later verified with another dealer). We could drive pretty well any version of the 308 in petrol or diesel and we got the one in the signature block below. So . . . Renault won't get a sale for a number of years for our smaller car.

We both love the Scenic, it is really practical and versatile which meets our needs. We would love to have bought a Megane diesel hatch this year but couldn't. I'm betting that when the Grand Scenic replacement time comes around, Renault again won't have the replacement - leading us to either the 308 wagon or a Picassio.
    It seems strange to go on the Renault forum to explain at such length why you didn't buy a Renault. (not for the first time). Wouldn't it be better to post this on the pug forum? I can understand complaining about the Renault you did buy, but complaining so much about the Renault you didn't buy seems excessive.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

I hope the Fluence takes off. It might be unlike any other Renaults of the past but it is what Australia needs.

The new MD in Aus is kite flying with talk of bringing in the Dacia Duster. That could open up an interesting new market segment. Can't get enough Dacias here.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The new MD in Aus is kite flying with talk of bringing in the Dacia Duster. That could open up an interesting new market segment. Can't get enough Dacias here.
    As long as they badge it a Renault and not a Dacia, it would work. They need to get Renault Australia right before they introduce another badge like Dacia.

The Duster is going to be sold in the UK, so it opens up another RHD market for Australia to make an business case to HD in France to introduce it here.

Also, the Koleos was dropped in the UK due to low sales, so the Duster may act a replacement model for the Koleos there.

The duster will be a hit here if the price is right.

Thread Information