The Old Chestnut - wider wheels for R8/10s
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default The Old Chestnut - wider wheels for R8/10s

This has been done to death but the knowledge we all shared on this topic was lost in the Great Crash of '10...

I have some R16 wheels on an R10. The rims were removed and reversed.

I seem to remember there some on the forum thought this caused some handling issues.

Advertisement

Can anyone fill me in on this please.

P

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I can remember reading somewhere that 14's handle abit better, but i still like the look of the 15's on my floride.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Exfrogger,

I took the plunge on my R8 rebuild and also took the 14" from a 16 and widened the rear wheels to 7". Still busy building so cannot comment on handling but i stuck 215/65 Pirelli P6000 tyres on them which looks real mean...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Tljakes View Post
    Hi Exfrogger,

I took the plunge on my R8 rebuild and also took the 14" from a 16 and widened the rear wheels to 7". Still busy building so cannot comment on handling but i stuck 215/65 Pirelli P6000 tyres on them which looks real mean...
    Personally, I think this is way too wide. On the Targa Alpine with 180 odd flywheel hp, there is discussion about going down in tyre size for the next event as the tyres are probably too big. There are a bunch of things, bigger tyres and rims are extra unsprung weight, they very rarely heat up to good tyre temps so the handling is not as good as it could be, aquaplaning is much more likely with the size of tyre vs weight of car, more power absorbed to push them along, etc. Personally 185 is plenty big enough for a non pure race car.
    R16 wheels are awfully heavy too! The ones on my own Alpine are way lighter. At a guess there is not too much difference between the tyre and rim combined vs the R16 wheel on its' own!

1000+ Posts

Thanks Guys

My initial concern is that the offset on the reversed R16 rims had an adverse impact because it was not suited to the geometry of the suspension and steering. Someone raised that BC.

Because the cars are being taken off road I wanted a little more clearance and to be able to use tougher tyres. If I go much wider than 175 I will be exposing more of the sidewall to the sort of things that kills a tyre.

This is part of planning for a road trip from Geraldton to Uluru via the Great Central Rd.

P

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110 View Post
    Personally, I think this is way too wide. On the Targa Alpine with 180 odd flywheel hp, there is discussion about going down in tyre size for the next event as the tyres are probably too big.
    I agree on this, but the car is being built for a Turbo which would not be that difficult to get the wheels moving

Thread Information