Megane Sedan headlight issue
  • Help

Default Megane Sedan headlight issue

My friend's Megane ('08) sedan has suddenly suffered from 'milky ' headlights.No time for the usual abrasions/ pollutions that occur as car is as new. Dealer says normal ( no warranty claim). Any experiences causes?

I also notice and we can't remember whether this has always been the case, that the engine does not have the usual silver 2.0 i plastic cover. They say not it was not put on after '07 is that right?

Advertisement
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

1000+ Posts

If he is the original owner, there is an implied warranty that the vehicle will be "fit for purpose". This is not a fixed time requirement, and is based on reasonable expectations of lifespan.
    Ineffective headlights within 2 years, if using the recommended bulbs would certainly be covered by this I would expect.

Tell the dealer where to stick their warranty refusal.

My late 07 sedan LHS headlight died about SEP10 and was replaced under warranty. Now the RHS has also died but now out of warranty. Seems the life span of the headlights is 3 yrs max on the bulbs.

Doesn't seem to be any milky deterioration yet.
    01 Renaultsport Clio Cup 3/85 sold 07 Megane Expression 6 speed manual sedan ...beeeautiful sold 08 RenaultSport Clio 197...weehaaa sold
    05 RenaultSport Megane 225 wooshka" sold
    84 Fuego 5speed silver 1 previous elderly owner club car
    84 Renault 5TS 5 door white 3 owners 74 Renault 12 GL Avocado trophy winner
    73 Renault 16TS Automatic club car 64 Renault Caravelle gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    My friend's Megane ('08) sedan has suddenly suffered from 'milky ' headlights.No time for the usual abrasions/ pollutions that occur as car is as new. Dealer says normal ( no warranty claim). Any experiences causes?
    No sign of any milky headlight lenses on my 05 Megane. I've heard that can happen if incorrect headlight globes are fitted - some sort of UV issue?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Not just globes. The UV protectant can fail, leading to the premature ageing of the plastic.

Headlight repair and re-sealant kits are available from Autobarn for under $50.

Definitely a warranty issue in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEEE View Post
    Not just globes. The UV protectant can fail, leading to the premature ageing of the plastic.
    What is the UV protectant? Some sort of film on the inside or outside of the plastic?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa View Post
    What is the UV protectant? Some sort of film on the inside or outside of the plastic?
    I believe the UV protection on the polycarbonate head light lens is the outer layer which is supposed to protect the lens from harmful UV rays from the sun. I bought the kit for my 02 RS Clio foggy lenses. Consists of various grades of wet n dry sand paper, special polish & cloth. It was a bugger of a job to do, looked 90% better but next time I'd just replace them. I believe that head light lens failing that early should definitely be warranty. I'd jump up & down to Renault & tell them to stop giving themselves a bad reputation !!
    cheers,

John

Thread Information